Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as you all know gas prices have become substantially high in the last few weeks.. And my pockets have been feeling it for a long time!! Just paid a $45 fill up this week...

So it finally thought it was time to change by driving habits.. For the longest time I have been driving my IS with a "heavy foot". I would say moderate to aggressive driving, above speed limits. (But not wreck less of course.)

I would say for the last three years I have had the same commute and driving destinations around Southern California. 75% freeway - 25% City Driving
My gas tank as been always filled with Cheveron 91.

I would normally get approx 285 miles per tank... running it down to empty. Its even less when I use the A/C. That’s with driving the posted speed limit in the City. But on the freeway I always find myself driving around 85-90 mph > really early in the morning & virtually empty fwy. On the way home about 75 mph - with some light traffic.

So about two weeks ago I began to change the "heavy foot" syndrome that I have - I NO longer BLAST the gas pedal from light to light and I have reduced my freeway speed to just about the posted speed limit.

Here are the results:

First tank I got 315 miles on the tank to E
This was a result from driving with cruise control ON when possible and keep the RPM's right at 3,000 or between 2,700 & 2,900 when I can on the fwy... That puts my speed right at about 69-72 mph... I really have been watching the RPM's rather then the speedo. And again NO more dead pedaling in City driving.

2nd Tank of gas I got 365 miles to E
I used the same exact habits as stated above.. This was an unexpected HUGE improvement... As the long-term fuel trims have adjusted to the new driving habits.

Also, in both cases I made sure I had a clean Air Filter in my air box... All my mods are listed below. My IS was tested as is.
I also used the A/C in both cases maybe 20% of the time, only when needed.

My goal is to reach about 375 to 400 miles to the tank.... I think I will be able to do this as soon as the weather cools down here in So. Cal and A/C will not be needed.
Wich has already begun thankfully.

I would say this was a Great Success!!.. Instead of filling up the tank every 3-4 days.. I have now been looking at 7-8 days on my refills.

So if you want to save money on Gas, all you have to do is buy less.. In order to buy less, all you have to due is use / waste less!!
Change your driving habits if you haven't done so already.

Good Luck to all!! :p

If you have any questions - please fell free to ask.

Thanks for your time!

Joe Z :bigSmile:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Great improvement! :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
These are great results. I also am only getting about 260 miles on one tank of gas, which is really ridiculous since I commute 70 or so miles round trip to school each day. I'm going to try these tips, and use the cruise control. I've used it before but I never realized it could save me this much gas. Thanks for the results to this experiment. +rep!

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Hmmm... I thought that was common sense? Oh well.

That's why I pay close attention to the fuel gauge. Because when ever I have fun... that fuel consumption gauge drops like a brick... and I know it's time to back off the throttle.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
joe, i have the exact same setup as you...i also use the same gas too...and i've been always getting 335 to 340...using cruise control as much as i can...when i first installed the hyper, i got 320-325, but thats with a "heavy" foot

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Here's another HUGE tip.

Check those tire pressures!!! Put them around 36 psi. You will definitely notice a good 5-20 miles improvement per tank depending upon where your current tire pressure is.

Reactions: CEB

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just out of curiosity...im not saying that there is a difference but have you ever tried to do this test with your silencer on?

·
Registered
989 Posts
well i just tried seafoam on my car and i gain an extra 50miles per tank.

·
Registered
656 Posts
TeCKis300 said:
Here's another HUGE tip.

Check those tire pressures!!! Put them around 36 psi. You will definitely notice a good 5-20 miles improvement per tank depending upon where your current tire pressure is.
Tire pressure is important. I was only getting about 250 miles a tank, mostly heavy traffic, but just filled my tires and have noticed a substantial improvement, even in the same traffic.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Crester said:
Hmmm... I thought that was common sense? Oh well.

That's why I pay close attention to the fuel gauge. Because when ever I have fun... that fuel consumption gauge drops like a brick... and I know it's time to back off the throttle.
Yes, I agree that this is common sense. Maybe it's not for some people.

·
Registered
557 Posts
That's cool and all, but I doubt anyone will actually want to give up their driving habits. I bet after the experiement you'll go back to your old self.
Know Efficiency mods help mileage:
1) 5/30 weight oil. (thinnest)
2) Tire pressure = max RATED, don't go higher than the tire's rated max pressure is! and back it off if you notice the center of the tire wearing faster than the edges.
3) Synethic trans/rear oil. (no trans oil because only Toyota available) but you can do the rear ass oil.
4) Skinnier tires/lighter smaller rims (less contact batch = less rolling resistance) Ok, no takers, ok, figured as much. (rims, less rotating mass on the outer edge. 19's will f your mileage.
5) Tune up, make sure car is always tuned.
6) High energy ignitions/plugs/wires. (is300 is pretty good stock, prob wont help)
7) Weight. (get rid of the shit in your trunk you never use, and stop dating fat chicks)
8) Free flowing exhaust, headers intake etc. (this may actually adversely affect a computer controlled vehicle, but may help, it really depends on how the computer respons to the mods.
9) Alignment. If your alignment is off, it will obviously F your mileage.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I don't drive hard anyways (rarely over 3500rpm...man I love the torque and gearing on the car), but I still only max out at about 305 or so. Typically around 280. I can't imagine how much more conservatively I have to drive to get 350+.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I normally average 270-310. I recently changed my driving habits and was able to get 340. This is with about 85% city driving. Last weekend I went to Yosemite and was able to get 420 on a tank. This was amlost 100% hiway driving.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
DanielIS300 said:
2) Tire pressure = max RATED, don't go higher than the tire's rated max pressure is! and back it off if you notice the center of the tire wearing faster than the edges.

I don't know if you really meant what you typed or not, but your tires should be nowhere near max rated when you inflate them. As soon as you start rolling, the temperature will increase, which means pressure will increase. You're right on about the center tread wear, though.

I'd say, 36 is a good psi to be at. Thats where i keep mine.

1 - 20 of 229 Posts