Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I made a new account just to post this because I couldn't find any help elsewhere. This post relates to a 2002 Lexus IS300

Recently I noticed that my fuel door opener on the inside driver side near the legs is completely missing, I couldn't find it anywhere, I'm guessing it fell through the hole and is somewhere on the chassis of the car. Has anyone had this problem where the lever to pull to open the fuel door went missing? If so, is there a DIY guide to reattatch something else to the cable to pull it?

Also, I read that many cars have a manual fuel door release located in the trunk of the car. I searched everywhere in my trunk and I cant find any lever near the fuel door. Does anyone know where this is located?

Please help, I'm nearly out of gas because I noticed that the lever went missing when I was running low on gas and went to refuel, I drove home from that destination and am almost out of gas and I don't think i'll be able to drive to a mechanic/dealership to fix the lever, so I would have to use the emergency fuel release once to refuel.

Thanks everyone,
Matt

·
Registered
81 Posts
You got me curious since my gas door lever is loose and someone at some point cut a hole in the carpet around it. I'm thinking they had the same problem as you and someone "there, fixed it" so it works now.

I searched and found one other thread where the lever broke off but there was no resolution.
I was able to determine that there is no secret release to open it from the trunk.

Have you attempted to locate the cable? It should still work without the handle if you pull on it properly.
If all else fails, you may be able to disassemble the mechanism from inside the trunk, but I'm not sure.
At the very least you should try to find the handle. Take out the driver's seat if you have to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You got me curious since my gas door lever is loose and someone at some point cut a hole in the carpet around it. I'm thinking they had the same problem as you and someone "there, fixed it" so it works now.

I searched and found one other thread where the lever broke off but there was no resolution.
I was able to determine that there is no secret release to open it from the trunk.

Have you attempted to locate the cable? It should still work without the handle if you pull on it properly.
If all else fails, you may be able to disassemble the mechanism from inside the trunk, but I'm not sure.
At the very least you should try to find the handle. Take out the driver's seat if you have to.
Yeah I saw that thread which was the same exact problem as mine, I reached inside the while in the carpet and I located a cable-type object, which has to be it because nothing else is around and when i pull on it as much as I can i can see and feel the gas door moving, I just cant pull it far enough to fully pop open the gas door. It is difficult because it is in such and awkward position that ill try to explain, pretend this is the cable ~~~~~ | and the line is a metal wall. The cable runs till it hits a metal wall which acts to prevent it from being pulled so I would have to pull it around the wall somehow. I'm thinking ill rip apart the carpet near the hole to give me more room to work and attach the cable to something to do a temporary fix.

Thanks for the reply, Ill try doing this and post back later how it went :smile2:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Ill try doing this and post back later how it went :smile2:
I found myself at a junkyard today and I found that you CAN yank on the fuel door release cable in the trunk and it will open.
The car had all the trunk carpet pulled to the side and I could see where the cable turned up and made a 180 degree turn to where it connects to the release mechanism. I just gave it a good hard tug and the fuel door popped open.

Hope it's not too late.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found myself at a junkyard today and I found that you CAN yank on the fuel door release cable in the trunk and it will open.
The car had all the trunk carpet pulled to the side and I could see where the cable turned up and made a 180 degree turn to where it connects to the release mechanism. I just gave it a good hard tug and the fuel door popped open.

Hope it's not too late.
Yeah I got it fixed, for anyone that runs into the problem, what I did was: I first ripped up the fabric on the ground where the release lever would go about and inch or two towards the back of the car and from there I could easily reach the cable, I gave it a little pull and it came open. I went to my dealership and purchased a new lever cause mine disappeared and installed it there too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah I got it fixed, for anyone that runs into the problem, what I did was: I first ripped up the fabric on the ground where the release lever would go about and inch or two towards the back of the car and from there I could easily reach the cable, I gave it a little pull and it came open. I went to my dealership and purchased a new lever cause mine disappeared and installed it there too.
Any chance you have a part number for the release lever? And maybe a picture of what the lever/cable looks like?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any chance you have a part number for the release lever? And maybe a picture of what the lever/cable looks like?
I found it under 77306-53020. If you gently unsnap the plastic piece carpet liner trim you can get to the place where the carpet snaps to the frame, you should see the rear windshield wiper line and rear electrical cable harness. Once you pry the carpet up, with the seat all the way back, there is the Fuel lid/door lock release lever sub assembly held on with a 10 MM machine bolt. I use a 6 inch extension with a swivel elbow adapter joint to get in there to remove it. It is a beast and you'll get a ton of scrapes and small cuts, especially if you have big hands. But it does come out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is the bolt location picture, I pull the sil trim and unsnap the carpet to give me enough slack to pull it over and expose the nut, towards the center column. it broke on me again. what a piece of garbage.

IMG_5278.jpg = IMG_5294.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been doing some plastic welding using a soldering iron and a plastic weld iron I picked up at harbor freight. I'm taking this piece and plastic welding the broken collar and then adding a bunch of material to reinforce it. the break is coming from the top down towards the floor board. I think the weakness is in the design of not having enough supporting material on the top. the bottom and sides are reinforeced by the guide. Let's see if this lasts longer. I tried glues, super glues, gorilla glues, jb welds, they just don't bond into the plastic very good. If this doesn't hold, I'm going to see if I can get it milled out of aluminum.

IMG_5275.jpg IMG_5277.jpg

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I've been doing some plastic welding using a soldering iron and a plastic weld iron I picked up at harbor freight. I'm taking this piece and plastic welding the broken collar and then adding a bunch of material to reinforce it. the break is coming from the top down towards the floor board. I think the weakness is in the design of not having enough supporting material on the top. the bottom and sides are reinforeced by the guide. Let's see if this lasts longer. I tried glues, super glues, gorilla glues, jb welds, they just don't bond into the plastic very good. If this doesn't hold, I'm going to see if I can get it milled out of aluminum.

View attachment 133369 View attachment 133370
If memory serves me. The 2001 have a metal one. I will look next time I have chance and remember.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts