Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
This reminds me I paid $20k for mine at 32000 miles 8 years ago...wamp wamp.

Cheer up, 8 years is enough time for someone to go through college twice.

I knew I wanted a mechanic to check out the IS since it had rebuilt title due to suspension rebuilding. I didn't know any in the area i just moved to, so I went on craiglist and found one. Guy asked $50 to come check it out, when seller changed the meeting place, it became $80. I said fine taking a chance, it's just worth it. Guy looked it over, looked at the suspension, I wouldn't say he was amazing but he didn't have big red flags so I bought the car. He said I'd need an alignment, I eventually paid $70 for that and guy did a great job, he told me car was in accident he thought he might not do it right but he got it done. So when negotiating I dropped price $250 expecting these expenses. Little trick - I drove down 400, guy came back up 200, I knew it was a good price but added another reason, and as I made the counter offer of 50 less I stuck my hand out waiting for him to shake. He shook it and took the deal.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I knew I wanted a mechanic to check out the IS since it had rebuilt title due to suspension rebuilding
Hopefully you got it at least 20% off private party. The problem with a rebuilt title is it permanently taints the car. I won't even look at a car with a compromised title unless it's 1/2 what a normal one goes for.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hopefully you got it at least 20% off private party. The problem with a rebuilt title is it permanently taints the car. I won't even look at a car with a compromised title unless it's 1/2 what a normal one goes for.
2004 140k miles 9/10 interior 9/10 exterior $4250.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you want to check if there has been an accident or not. Ask the dealership to borrow its paint meter. Paint should be consistent but for sure it shouldn't be over 5.0 Use Autocheck too not just Carfax. Carfax, autocheck doesn't show every thing so use your common sense. If those pass, and your personal inspection pass, Ask to see if you can bring to a lexus dealership to have it checked out. Of course you have to pay for the fees. but What is a 1-2 hundred dollars more for a "good" deal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good points, and I am curious about this one as I am both new to the old luxury cars and lexuses. Now when I was looking at cars in my price range of $4.5-5.5k there were a lot of 99-04 beemers. Those closer to 04-05 were rebuilt almost 9 out of 10 times. Mercedes pretty much same thing - 02-03, unless it's a C class then it could get to 05-06. The problem every time was my thinking that I don't want to put my hand in a bear trap no matter how shiny it is at first - the maintenance could kill any savings within the first CEL.

So enter honda, toyota. Reliable, these cars surprisingly were holding up in value. Couldn't do much better than 06,07.

Then came lexus, acura. I was just outside of the 2004 TL zone. Lexuses were boring and at first it looked to be 01-02 proposition as with the germans - these cars held the value well. (i didnt see any IS I didn't know what an IS was :) )

However, after Ive bought my car, Ive looked and there is a plethora of cars 02-04 going for 5-6k, with decent mileage just above 100. But these IS cars are reliable, so why are they NOT being defaulted to as the go to older, RELIABLE, luxury cars?

Seriously, why buy anything else in that exact category? I am genuinely curious.

On point of this car:

Nothing smells brand new after 15,000 miles. This car is 11 years old, I wouldn't enter 5 digits trying to buy it.
I just hit 15k on my IS and it still smells brand new...I guess it really comes down to how you care for it. In fact, my passenger seat & rear seats never been sat on & trunk never utilized...I'm just saying, not trying to start an argument...but mine is much cleaner than the one advertised in the 1st post. :)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I just hit 15k on my IS and it still smells brand new...I guess it really comes down to how you care for it. In fact, my passenger seat & rear seats never been sat on & trunk never utilized...I'm just saying, not trying to start an argument...but mine is much cleaner than the one advertised in the 1st post.
Hmm that's pretty weird. Just say'in. I like putting miles on my car. That's why I bought it. Can't wait to take mine to the track and thrash it.

·
Technical Poseur
23,313 Posts
Hmm that's pretty weird. Just say'in. I like putting miles on my car. That's why I bought it. Can't wait to take mine to the track and thrash it.
I agree, but at the same time if I were to win the lottery tomorrow I wouldnt mind having a pristine IS to have just as a sentimental piece of artwork

21 - 31 of 31 Posts