Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I am finally part of the forums instead of just browsing so let me start by saying i recently purchased a 2005 Lexus IS 300 Manual 5 Speed Black, and i must say this car is very sexy (You all have GREAT taste ;) )

Car runs smooth, last owner kept it very clean but i just have one question, i dont know maybe it is just me.

In first gear there tends to be somewhat of a lag and the pull isn't recongizable truly until around 5500 RPM. Now i understand this may be because of VVTi but i noticed that 2nd gear pulls EXTREMELY hard all throughout the powerband. I am wondering if anyone else experiences this problem in first gear as well or is it just the car.

Thanks.

By the way here is a shot of the Lexus

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
welcome to the forum firstly second quicly learn how to use the search function on top. there has been many posted threads about the lag off the line and such......reset the ecu clean the MAF check the plugs, airfilter,...things like that.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
I've never looked into it critically.

But back in the day, there was talk about how the stock ECU doesn't give first gear full timing - i.e. it retards power somewhat in first gear.

This was brought up by an AEM standalone employee who was working on adapting the AEM to his personal IS300. He said that on standalone, first gear was significantly more powerful and could easily spin the tires.

Welcome to the boards!

P.S. Beware of 3rd gear.

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
I've never owned an automatic, and to compare to all the other cars my 5-spd feels just fine in 1st gear, I mean the fury of this 215+ hp beast just breaks the tires loose at will in 1st (when there's salt on the ground) . Even completely stock it felt fine compared to all the other gears (except for 3rd).

I'd say reset the ecu and clean the MAF to start, report after.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I've never looked into it critically.

But back in the day, there was talk about how the stock ECU doesn't give first gear full timing - i.e. it retards power somewhat in first gear.

This was brought up by an AEM standalone employee who was working on adapting the AEM to his personal IS300. He said that on standalone, first gear was significantly more powerful and could easily spin the tires.

Welcome to the boards!

P.S. Beware of 3rd gear.

ok so i keep hearing about this third gear thing.i have a munual is300 also and it is by far the slowest car i have ever owned but besides that whats up with this third gear joke i always hear?

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
It's a joke because some people seem to think the car in 3rd gear becomes the "ultimate racing car". :rolleyes:

I think it's because when you are doing normal road speeds... 3rd gear puts you in the rev range that makes you feel a lot of torque... so people think it is the "ULITIMAT3 G3AR!!!!" :wtf:

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
^What she said, just do a search.

Start with what I posted - reset the ecu and clean the maf.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Welcome! But since you recently bought your IS you might want to skip 3rd gear until you get used to the car... At full throttle 3rd gear opens up a vortex to a parallel universe in which your car gains 400rwhp...

Be safe!

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
^thats why his car is faster than gravity!!!!!

·
Premium Member
23,141 Posts
It's a joke because some people seem to think the car in 3rd gear becomes the "ultimate racing car". :rolleyes:

I think it's because when you are doing normal road speeds... 3rd gear puts you in the rev range that makes you feel a lot of torque... so people think it is the "ULITIMAT3 G3AR!!!!" :wtf:
No, I've explained it well before. Its mainly morons with automatics who will race some one and start to pull ahead just a little in third because its extremely short geared....

Ah F it...I dont feel like typing it all out again, its in one of the epic 3rd gear threads

·
Premium Member
23,141 Posts
how about the fact than in manual is300 you have to be doing 5 mph to downshift back into 1st from 2nd
Thats called a reverse lock out. They deliberately didnt install downshift synchros on first gear to prevent you from going from the top of 2nd into 1st. Most cars with a manual have it to some extent. Atleast every manual I have driven, including an E46 M3

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Thats called a reverse lock out. They deliberately didnt install downshift synchros on first gear to prevent you from going from the top of 2nd into 1st. Most cars with a manual have it to some extent. Atleast every manual I have driven, including an E46 M3
Yes, If it did not have it, there would be alot of grenaded IS' by now. The 7th generation Celica GT-S does not have it and it is more then common then an oil change of people misshifting them, throwing them up into the 9k+ RPM range and having to rebuild their top ends.

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
It's like after all these years of ownership I'm hearing of all these issues I never heard about.

Snap, I forgot, I have the driver mod, that's why

Reactions: Rickc300
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.