Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Hey Dude -
The NSX cost twice the price of the Rx7.
The NSX makes approx 270-280hp, with the US spec Rx7 making 255hp.

The fact that they were pretty close in performance is quite impressive for Mazda.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
On this forum people said that when a rotary is modded it is unreliable. SCC's project RX-7 has a lot of stuff on it and they made no mention of it (as far as I know) having reliability problems, though they say that it is pretty thirsty. Altezza said that one of his friends gets about 7mpg on his RX-7. That is really low. Geez, Ferrari mileage.

BTW, Alley Bagget owns a modded 3rd gen RX-7. Dammit. Hot chick w/ a hot car. And it is stick. I guess Playboy models are good at handling a stick.
Hehehe.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Excerpt of an article from ROAD & TRACK Magazine / August 2000 Issue / Page 63:

Question (Sam Mitani of ROAD & TRACK):

About the rotary engine itself: Where is Mazda now with the next-generation rotary?

Answer (Philip R. Martens, Mazda's Managing Director of Product Development):

We will not introduce a rotary engine without sorting out the emissions side. Another thing we're looking at is how to manage engine power to our advantage. The Japanese-market RX-7 engine produces 280 bhp, and this much power in a light car makes for a fast car, but what we're looking at is how can we go back to the concept created by the original RX-7. Although it wasn't a high-end sports car, it had universal appeal. So we're looking at the rotary engine as a tool to get us back there. Therefore, we may have multiple power levels. And different strategies (for different trim levels) in terms of exhaust systems, and torque curves.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The rotary CAN be modded to produce much more than stock HP and still be reliable.

The 3rd gen Rx7 had some problems not directly related to the engine...

Paint problems. Cooling system.

Auto racers are actually amazed sometimes at how long a race built 350-500hp 13B can last.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah, I guess my "unreliable" statement was not entirely correct.. I love rotaries.. the exhaust note is unmatched and its so smooth.. I think 87+ turbo rotaries were plagued with heat related problems.. thats what happens when you try to choke a free-breathing rotary into passing emissions testing, IMO..

If this rotary sedan makes it to production, I'd seriously consider it..

21 - 25 of 25 Posts