Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'm a noob here so wanted to say hello.

I dont own an Is300 but am looking to purchase one in the near future.

For now, i have question concerning the side bolsters on the factory seats.
Looking for more comfort, i installed a set of is300 seats into my '94 toyota landcruiser. Going cross-country this last week i had horrible pain in my thighs after about 1 hour in these seat. I'm a small 21 yr old and felt like i could hardly fit between the bolsters. It seem that anyone larger then me would be unable to sit in them at all.

As there anything i can do? or am i the only one who seems to have an issue with this.

Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Searched around a little bit.
It seem the general concern is with the lack of lumber. I found the seat back to be comfortable for me and had no real complaints. It's just the seat bottom side bolsters that kill my legs.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You sure they were IS300 seats? I'm 6" and a big guy and feel plenty comfortable in my seats... a few 300+ miles trips in them with none to minor cramping.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I like the fit of the stock seats. I'm 5'11" and fit just fine. My friend is 6'4" and he has an IS, and fits just fine as well (although nobody could possibly sit behind him. . It could be the ground clearance issue you have with putting these seats in another vehicle which is causing the pain. I put the bottom up at an angle so my knees are bent a little more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are most certainly IS300 seats. They are the "suede" versions.

I'm blown away in all my searching that no one else complains about the side bolster digging into their thighs.

There's got to be something going on with my seats, i'm confident that no normal person could last more then an hour in them without noticing how uncomfortable they are.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've droven for 7 hours straight before in my car, they're comfyyy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions to perhaps fix my problem?
Everyone keeps saying they like their seats, but there is something seriously wrong with mine.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I never heard of the bottom of the seat being too narrow either?!?!

Anyways... you can probably put padding on the seat... it'll raise you up and won't allow the side bolsters to squeeze you as much.

But if you're small... I doubt the seats would affect you. Could you take pics of your seats? I never heard of somebody putting IS300 seats in a Land Cruiser.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
You must have some WIDE thighs or something because them seats are comfy as hell. The only thing I can think of is the seat padding is losing it's tension and is making you sit lower which will lift your thigh area. Other than that maybe you got the seats of a FAT MOFO.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You mentioned that your small, so i am assuming that you are sitting too far back in the seat and the seat edge is catching your knees. Alot of the problem could be the retrofit. The Landcrusher is designed for a more upright sitting position than the IS. I'm not saying that we lean like gansta's but it could be enough of a difference that its just not as comfortable as in the car.

As far as fixing it, it depends. I would say lower the seat but if your small then you may not be able to see over the steeringwheel if you lower it too much. On the otherhand, go drive an IS and trade in the crusher. Any offroading pics in your truck?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll start by trying to set in a stock IS and see how they feel. it's possible that the retro fit is causing the problem. I understand the setup of a sports sedan vs large suv could be a contributing factor.
The bracket were fab'd up and should work for most lexus seats now. If push comes to shove i'll look into some ls400 seats or something.
Unfortunately the cruiser is now in Colorado for 4 months getting a turbo diesel engine installed so i wont be able to work on correcting this. I mainly wanted to see if anyone else had this problem. This atleast tells me it's my seats or my setup.

I've got pics of the seats in the cruiser i'll post up soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts