Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visually the IS300's sweet looking Exhaust tip looks like something aftermaket (HKS). The question is... Is it low restrictive like an aftermarket system and does it have a nice deep exhaust note (like something aftermarket)?....or.... Is it simply a large tip just for style?
Eric...

·
Registered
242 Posts
The latter. Look up the tailpipe (ooh!). The muffler exit is a "normal" size exhaust diameter.

Although I think the IS has a wonderful growl under acceleration, I'd characterize it as more of a "burble" than a deep note.

Why's a member since May, with hundreds of posts, asking this question :) ?

·
Registered
666 Posts
i dunno for my tastes it could use a little more sound. I think Lexus (aka quite, smooth reliable cars) did too much to quite the car and exhuast.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by mkaufman:
The latter. Look up the tailpipe (ooh!). The muffler exit is a "normal" size exhaust diameter.

Although I think the IS has a wonderful growl under acceleration, I'd characterize it as more of a "burble" than a deep note.

Why's a member since May, with hundreds of posts, asking this question :) ?
My apologies... I don't have an IS300 and I don't recall its exhaust note. I had a GS400 and it had a VERY SWEET engine note, but exhaust was whisper quiet, unlike the BMW 330i.
Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited September 29, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Actually I think it is pretty good. I don't like loud exhaust, and this sound level is decent for me to hear the engine rpm while I can still enjoy my conversation and music. I hope the TRD exhaust isn't too loud, because that is probably what I will get as soon as they goes on sale again.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I don't think the exhaust tip looks "after market" at all....
I mean the IS300 isn't the only car with a slightly Large Exhaust tip.
Look at the Supra Exhaust.....
And after looking up the muffler opening the opening IS NOT standard size exiting the muffler. Its slightly Larger.
Just an observation, but it seems several post these last few days has the "tint" of trying to Convert the IS300 to something its Not.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Daniel:
Actually I think it is pretty good. I don't like loud exhaust, and this sound level is decent for me to hear the engine rpm while I can still enjoy my conversation and music. I hope the TRD exhaust isn't too loud, because that is probably what I will get as soon as they goes on sale again.
Daniel, in regard to both engine and exhaust note... Does it sound the same as your parent's GS300 or is there less sound deadening material in the IS300 in regard to engine noise? Exhaust note is probably muted in the GS300..
Eric...

·
Registered
511 Posts
It just "looks" nice... it a old school muffler undertheir.... Im dying to go HKS exhaust and some type of Headers!!

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by smra:
I don't think the exhaust tip looks "after market" at all....
I mean the IS300 isn't the only car with a slightly Large Exhaust tip.
Look at the Supra Exhaust.....
And after looking up the muffler opening the opening IS NOT standard size exiting the muffler. Its slightly Larger.
Just an observation, but it seems several post these last few days has the "tint" of trying to Convert the IS300 to something its Not.
Smra, sorry if this post came across that way but that is a result of my ignorance on the topic... I did say exhast tip was "sweet looking," but to me they look like something aftermarket which is not a bad thing...What posts show that people are making the IS300 into something it's not? I don't see that and don't think it's a misinterprited car either. Its intentions are quite obvious...
Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited September 29, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Erick, the GS300 is a bit quieter, but not by that much. Also, it sounds a little bit different, it has a lower pitch than the IS. Both cars sound nice, but the IS300 sounded more aggressive than the GS when you start to get into the high rpm range.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Is it just me, or does the GS' exhaust note sound more 'snarly' and more aggressive? This seems backwards considering the IS is the sport sedan, and the GS is marketed as the luxury sedan. Maybe next year they will change it and make it sound sportier like the 330. *fingers crossed*

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
The reason the GS sounds better is because the IS exhuast IS more restrictive, thats why the GS and IS have the same engine but the IS hsa fewer hp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts