Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and to working on Lexus period. I did an engine swap for my nephew on his IS300. I believe it's an 05. He bought a used 2jZ? with just under 30k and it was originally from Japan. After the install I found out that the harness did not work on the stock ECU nor did it work on the one that came with the motor. So I decided to swap out the harness and install the original and use the original ECU and that worked out much better. But that's not what i'm concerned with at this moment. The problem I am having is that the engine seems to be frozen stuck. I was going to start bolting the flywheel to the torque converter and I can not get the engine to turn in either direction. Is there anything that would bind up the engine cause I have a hard time believing that it's frozen due to sitting although I did not verify before installation. (knucklehead me) I have the trans in neutral just in case but since it's not mated to the flywheel I don't see how it would prevent the engine from turning. So if anyone has any ideas or has experienced this issue please throw me a bone here would ya. Thanks p.s bear in mind I do not have much technical knowledge when it comes to Lexus of any kind.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
440 Posts
Just to clarify, you have the Transmission is bolted up to the engine already and is the driveshaft attached to the Transmission already as well? It is in neutral as stated. Is the e-brake on by chance?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to clarify, you have the Transmission is bolted up to the engine already and is the driveshaft attached to the Transmission already as well? It is in neutral as stated. Is the e-brake on by chance?
Yes the transmission is bolted to the engine but the driveshaft is currently disconnected.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
440 Posts
I would take it back if it has a warranty. It should turn over without issues

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's an update. So far I got it to break loose. I used a breaker and an extension bar. I added some WD40 to the cylinders and I'm going to let it sit for a minute before rotating the engine. Thanks for all your input.
20200527_151403.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does it turn over smoothly now?
I'm still not satisfied with the way it turns over. Even with the spark plugs out and serpentine belt off it still feels tight. I'm thinking maybe the torque converter is binding up against the flywheel. I know when I installed the torque converter I turned it and made sure it clicked a couple times for proper seating but is it possible that while mating the transmission to the engine it came out enough to bind against the flywheel? I put the car in park by shifting it from the linkage below on the transmission but I can still crank the engine. I dont think that's supposed to happen although I cant tell if the engine flywheel is spinning indefinitely from the torque converter cause I have no one underneath the car to check while I rotate using the breaker bar. Anyway, that's where I'm at.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
440 Posts
So I have a question for you. When you installed the transmission, did you also install the torque converter? Or was it already attached to the transmission? That will definitely cause an issue if you tightened the bell housing bolts all the way and the torque converter is not properly seated onto the input shaft all the way.

I hate to say this, but you need to make sure that the torque converter is seated all the way down on the input shaft into the bell housing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I seated the torque converter to the bell housing prior to mating the transmission to the motor. When installing the torque converter I spun it clockwise and listened for the clicks till there were no more clicks. It felt properly seated before joining the transmission and motor.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
440 Posts
Hmm. Then yea, there maybe something wrong with the engine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts