Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a 2002 is300 with 32k miles. i had this issue before where my car died and would crank but not start. i resolved this issue by taking out the fuel pump tfand cleaning it and blowing air through it. i put back the pump and it worked. a couple weeks later, my car started up and died after a couple seconds (same issue as the first time). car would crank but not start. solved it the second time by putting on a brand new fuel pump.

now the third time it happened is tricky. i was about to go out, started the car and as i was waiting for the car to warm up and the rpm to drop, the car shut off. i tried starting her back up again but it had the same issue as the other times. car would crank, but not start and the electronics were fine (radios and such would turn on). i take apart the fuel pump, realized the gas tank was super dirty and rusty and thought that may be an issue and clogging up my fuel pump. so i cleaned the tank, it’s much better now and replaced the pump with once again, a brand new fuel pump. i even replaced the fuel pump relay with a brand new one. the car will crank but won’t start. even with a jumpstart and some starting fluid, the car would start for a second and immediately die after. any solutions as to what may be causing my problems? taking it to lexus is my last resort.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
726 Posts
Any check engine light on? Have you tried checking for codes?

I would check to make sure you’re getting power to the pump when you’re cranking it. If it so happens to startup for even just a moment make sure that the pump is still receiving power. A helper would be best to watch the DVM while you crank it.

Seeing that you used starter fluid and it started up momentarily, I would rule out crank or cam sensor issues. At least IMO. Someone else will probably provide additional advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could a clogged fuel filter cause this? my tank was extremely rusty and you could see a bunch of gunk settled at the bottom. i just cleaned the tank and it's much better now. perhaps replacing the fuel filter may solve it. going to check for CEL codes now.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
726 Posts
could a clogged fuel filter cause this? my tank was extremely rusty and you could see a bunch of gunk settled at the bottom. i just cleaned the tank and it's much better now. perhaps replacing the fuel filter may solve it. going to check for CEL codes now.
Yes it could.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
plugged in my obd scanner and it found 1 code and asked me to pick a manufacturer and i chose toyota because there was no lexus option. the code was a P1127

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update: took apart the fuel pump assembly again to put in a new fuel filter and that did not work either.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
726 Posts
Check the ECTS fuse in the fuse box under hood.

·
Registered
946 Posts
If the tank is rusty and full of gunk it is really going to need to be fixed or replaced. Any new pump you get will still suck up the same crap out of the tank. I'm not saying that is the issue, but its not a good place to start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts