Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what this is from, replaced the diff and axles and new axle bolts but is still making this cranking sound and I can’t figure it out, link is the video of the sound it’s making

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone know what this is from, replaced the diff and axles and new axle bolts but is still making this cranking sound and I can’t figure it out, link is the video of the sound it’s making
Have you checked the wheel bearings? Also looked to see if any suspension is scrubbing?
yes I have, everything is fine

·
3,361 Posts
The reason I ask. Is I have had one similar do that and it was a bearing. Did this start all of a sudden or after something was changed?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have you done any brake work recently? Just a stab in the dark, but it’s tough to say without driving it. As Solar pointed out, about the only other thing I could think of would be a bearing or something in the suspension is scrubbing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You have to compare the clunk sound "repetition rate" with the wheel speed, or with the driveshaft speed. Is it once per wheel revolution? It sounds like it could be something as simple as a brake backing plate, i.e. a sheet metal kind of sound. Jack the car up and rotate the wheels by hand and feel for rubs. If none, maybe it only manifests when the suspension is loaded. Gotta do some detective work, I'd say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts