Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm having a problem locating the coolant temperature sensor. does anyone have a picture or diagram for which this is located. or know where it's at?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
There is two, one on the radiator, which is only for the cooling fans and then one for the engine coolant temperature, or ECT, which is basically a fluctuating resistor. Sorry for the poor quality pic, but it is right about in the center of the pic(about 4" directly below #1 injector to be exact). Also illustrated on page 1445 of FSM. Page 1446 shows how to remove, of course just draining engine coolant and using SST, which looks like a 3/8" drive with about a foot extension. No mention of socket size. Page 1446 also shows how to test using hot water and measuring resistance in K ohms based on temperature. Hotter the coolant is, the lower the resistance(continuity at 104*F and above. The radiator coolant switch is right next to the lower radiator hose, but again, that is a simple switch and is not an ECU analog input like the ECT.

See ECT below.(2 wire Connector and harness off it). Do not confuse it with the two wire sensor on the oil filter bracket. Note, its very hard to see. You have to stand right by the ECM, crouch down, and look right below #1 cylinder intake plenum.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is two, one on the radiator, which is only for the cooling fans and then one for the engine coolant temperature, or ECT, which is basically a fluctuating resistor. Sorry for the poor quality pic, but it is right about in the center of the pic(about 4" directly below #1 injector to be exact). Also illustrated on page 1445 of FSM. Page 1446 shows how to remove, of course just draining engine coolant and using SST, which looks like a 3/8" drive with about a foot extension. No mention of socket size. Page 1446 also shows how to test using hot water and measuring resistance in K ohms based on temperature. Hotter the coolant is, the lower the resistance(continuity at 104*F and above. The radiator coolant switch is right next to the lower radiator hose, but again, that is a simple switch and is not an ECU analog input like the ECT.

See ECT below.(2 wire Connector and harness off it). Do not confuse it with the two wire sensor on the oil filter bracket. Note, its very hard to see. You have to stand right by the ECM, crouch down, and look right below #1 cylinder intake plenum.
So its right next to the oil dipstick on a 02 is300?

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Damn the one that I see only has one wire it looks like. Theres also another one there I unplugged but as you know the plastic connector on the cts is long and the female end would have to be at least two inches right?

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
I used a long pair of hose pliers... it's definitely tricky!

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Used hose pliers to get the connecter off ? By just collapsing it? Lol

Yes. The first challenge was positioning a flashlight so I could see what I was doing though the intake runners.

If I could teach you how to be creative with hand tools over the internet I would - but I can't. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
andrewmeisman
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing