Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be legitimate competition for BMW's M3, being that the current S4 was good enough to topple the E36 M3 in a Car & Driver comparo......
Kota, what do you think of the styling? (with hatchback rear)
Eric....

·
Registered
455 Posts
From the pictures, I don't like the new S4 (or the A4 design) too much. But who knows, it might look a lot better in person. The convertible version looks pretty damn SWEET though.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
The hatch looks pretty good, although not nearly as sexy as the new M3.
The C32 is also on it's way...competition rules!!!
Wake up Lexus, it's your turn to make a serious luxo-performance car.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
man, that's sweet!
why don't they make the new A4 look like that???! paint the whole thing and don't leave the black plastic part on the bottom, its damn ugly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
ah.. nothing to get really excited about.. the s4 "rocket" as they like to call it. looks nice from the front, the rear on the other hand isnt the greatest.. it doesnt seem audi at all.. it just looks funny.. as for the convertibles, i believe there alot of better looking convertibles out there.. CLk430, AMG55, 323IC, and if they do begin production, the Chrysler 300Hemi.. that hemi is beautiful boy..

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From that picture, the front of the S4 look nice and aggressive looking. The rear to me looks like the rear of the current porsche 911. Look at a photo of the 996's rear, then that and you'll see a resemblance...
Eric...

·
Registered
95 Posts
The s4 is really not a competitor for the Is300. Most people who purchase the new S4 are audi fanatics and have owned a few Audi's in the past. My cousin had the older s4 91 I believe with a rs4( purchased from hoppen motorsports) kit on it. Damn fast 4 door sedan( wieghs about the same as a cl500, but runs low 13's all day long). He resently purchased the S4( blue) and within a monthes time has added a Hoppen stage two kit. For info on joe hoppen please refer to www.hoppenmotorsports.com. Read his history and that he is the exclusive importer of MTM ( best tuner for Audi hands down). The car is awsome looking. Though the body is dated since its based on the A4 which has been redisned. The S4 is a limited production car to i believe this year is the last year it will be out. For the money the S4 is hot with another few grand( hoppen stage 2 kit, and your talkin 300+ all wheel drive euro killer. I still like the new M3 looks better.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by NYIS300:
The s4 is really not a competitor for the Is300.
Sure it is.... The A4 is more of a direct competitor however, there are people that considered the S4 before their IS300 purchase. (that in itself makes it a competitor)... My friend was considering the IS300 and even put a deposit on one, then got a refund in order to buy a Tiptronic S4...
Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited November 13, 2000).]

·
Registered
95 Posts
Every car is a competitor then if thats you point. The FACT is the A4 is what the IS is tested against not a twin turbo Audi. The S4 was compared with the M3 ( not the New one) and beat it in almost every comparison. I still don't think it was fair to compare the two considering the rumors of a 300+ hp M3 was coming out, and yet they tested anyways. The S4 is a completely different beast from the IS. Next time a comparison with the S4 will be done, it will be between the M3 ( which will win), the CLK55( which is hot),NOT THE IS300!!!!!!!!!!!( which will loseeeeeee, n questions). Next forum comparison---- Mustang saleen 351 vs IS300 ( dumb comparison isnt it)

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Every car is a competitor then if thats you point. The FACT is the A4 is what the IS is tested against not a twin turbo Audi. The S4 was compared with the M3 ( not the New one) and beat it in almost every comparison. I still don't think it was fair to compare the two considering the rumors of a 300+ hp M3 was coming out, and yet they tested anyways. The S4 is a completely different beast from the IS. Next time a comparison with the S4 will be done, it will be between the M3 ( which will win), the CLK55( which is hot),NOT THE IS300!!!!!!!!!!!( which will loseeeeeee, n questions). Next forum comparison---- Mustang saleen 351 vs IS300 ( dumb comparison isnt it)
First of all the S4 did beat the M3 but by a razor thin victory not "almost every comparison." Second if you look at the IS300 acceleration specs, it fits neatly right between the 0-60 time of the S4 and A4. (making it a competitor to both performance wise). Third the CLK55 will not be compared to those cars you mention.. the C32 AMG will be..
Eric...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Erik
Your comparing a cvar that runs high 15's to a car that runs low 14's fitting inbetween does not warrent comparisons many car fit in between the 14'2 and 15's. Acceleration dude be real the Is is slightly faster the the 1.8l a4 and wayyyyyyyy slower then the s4 a one second difference is alot.......You cant compare a car that is not even similar. The S4 slightly beating the M3 is a accomlishment considering where Audi was 10 years ago compared to BMW. The first and second place finsihes at lemans show Audi wanting to be a manufacture that wants to get recognition with companies like BMW. The Lexus is a lux sport to some degree you a right. The comparison of most people want IS300 and then shopping for a S4 is your own observations. Audi intended the S4 to compare against the M3 ( even though it will lose) the CLK55 ( which is somewhat AMG styling) The A4 is equal to the IS300 the shoppers that look at A4 will also take a look at the IS300 as the are in the same dollar value + or - a few thousand. The S4 is almost a 10k difference. I do not see where you get this equal thing totally different cars, totally different market, totally different buyers.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Erik
Your comparing a cvar that runs high 15's to a car that runs low 14's fitting inbetween does not warrent comparisons many car fit in between the 14'2 and 15's. Acceleration dude be real the Is is slightly faster the the 1.8l a4 and wayyyyyyyy slower then the s4 a one second difference is alot.......You cant compare a car that is not even similar. The S4 slightly beating the M3 is a accomlishment considering where Audi was 10 years ago compared to BMW. The first and second place finsihes at lemans show Audi wanting to be a manufacture that wants to get recognition with companies like BMW. The Lexus is a lux sport to some degree you a right. The comparison of most people want IS300 and then shopping for a S4 is your own observations. Audi intended the S4 to compare against the M3 ( even though it will lose) the CLK55 ( which is somewhat AMG styling) The A4 is equal to the IS300 the shoppers that look at A4 will also take a look at the IS300 as the are in the same dollar value + or - a few thousand. The S4 is almost a 10k difference. I do not see where you get this equal thing totally different cars, totally different market, totally different buyers.
The S4 was not built to compete with the CLK55 (which is in a class of its own), but with the C32 AMG.... Next... my sister has an Audi A4 2.8 Quattro (almost a $36,000 car). I've driven it many times and it's FAR less inspiring to drive than the IS300. It does 0-60 in 8.8 seconds. The Audi S4 Tiptronic does 0-60 in 6.2-6.5 seconds (I have driven my friends tiptronic several times).... The IS300 was far closer to the Tiptronic S4 in terms of acceleration and handling than my sister's sloth of a car. I have driven all 3 cars and will say that IS300 is much closer to a Tip S4 hence which is why a lot of IS300 owners did consider the S4.... Keep in mind I'm using the Tiptronic instead of the 6 speed cause the IS300 in only available in an Automatic, so I'm just being fair here.
Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited November 13, 2000).]

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
in addition to the above... the weight of the IS300 is 3271 lbs... The weight of a Tiptronic S4 is 3708 lbs and the A4 2.8 Quattro is 3505.. When going around corners (which by the way it's proven that Quattro doesn't help much in the dry) The S4 has to throw around another 437 lbs plus the S4 f/r weight distribution is around 60/40 which makes it far less balanced than the IS300...
Eric...

·
Registered
727 Posts
I was watching the Top Gear review movie of the Audi RS4 and the driver said it had chronic understear. He had to pull the handbrakes to get the rear to swing out. And this is a wagon that has more weight in the back than a S4. This leads me to believe that the S4 drives like a FWD car in the dry.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Chiphead:
I was watching the Top Gear review movie of the Audi RS4 and the driver said it had chronic understear. He had to pull the handbrakes to get the rear to swing out. And this is a wagon that has more weight in the back than a S4. This leads me to believe that the S4 drives like a FWD car in the dry.
Exactly KOTA...!
Eric..

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
By the way, in that Car & Driver comparison the S4 finished ahead of the M3 in all the acceleration tests but finished behind the M3 when lapping Nelson Ledges posting a significantly slower time....
Eric....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts