Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everyone already knows the IS300 stemmed from the success of BMW's 3series domination of the compact sedan market. but what other models would you consider in tha same field. the obvious ones (that i kno of) include:

BMW 3series (330ci?)
Audi A4
Acura TL?...

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
one of the magazines a few months ago had a pretty good comparison with all those cars plus the Volvo S60. I would probably add the new Jaguar X-Type as well. That car looks pretty sweet!

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Originally posted by Tony Montana:
The new 2002 Jag X type. I think it's called the type. Supposed to come in at 30K base price.
AT THAT PRICE U DONT GET JACK... FROM THE MOUTH OF A FRIEND WHO WORKS FOR JAGUAR

·
Registered
571 Posts
it's funny, cos' at the very least, a company entering the compact sport sedan market should offer a manual tranny.

No wonder BMW is on top. In reality though, when I was shopping for a sport sedan, never did I consider a TL or Benz..all because of the simple fact that a manual was not offered.

So, to me, the only competition to the manual IS300 is the BMW and Jaguar (but since it has a ford engine, I've become allergic to it). But since IS300 appeals to my racer-boy heart, I made my wife buy a 330I Manual, and I'll be gettng a manual IS300.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would never EVER buy a Jag, you dont get crap for the money, and they arent all that reliable. Recalls every week. I like luxury too but I want to get my money's worth.

How about the Infiniti G20 (if they ever get a real engine in there)?

Also the Maxima SE is a good contender

·
Registered
142 Posts
now that ford has jaguar that should help the reliability of the car. Yeah and from what i understand the 30k x type is with the smaller engine and sh_t for options. It will be like the 3 series, around 40 for the 3.0L and sport package

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sports Sedan Class:

1st tier

Audi A4 - new A4 due in October; supposed much improved over current generation.

BMW 3 series - obviously since it is the mark.

Jaguar X-type - unproven yet, but won't be cheap.

Lexus IS300 - we know about it.

Mercedes C-Class - nice but pricey and no manual in C320.

2nd tier - large in number and perhaps vague

Saab 9-3 Viggen - can you say torque steer?

Volvo S60 T5 - best Volvo yet, but still a Volvo.

Acura TL TypeS - fast and a value leader, but front wheel drive.

Infiniti - 2003 XVL - we'll have to wait and see.

Mazda - 2003 RX8 - same as above.

Nissan - 2002 Altima? Hey with 240hp if might be fun. 2003/4 Maxima rumored to go rear wheel drive with 280hp.

Others: WRX, Lancer and the list can go on.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sports Sedan Class:

1st tier

Audi A4 - new A4 due in October; supposed much improved over current generation.

BMW 3 series - obviously since it is the mark.

Jaguar X-type - unproven yet, but won't be cheap.

Lexus IS300 - we know about it.

Mercedes C-Class - nice but pricey and no manual in C320.

2nd tier - large in number and perhaps vague

Saab 9-3 Viggen - can you say torque steer?

Volvo S60 T5 - best Volvo yet, but still a Volvo.

Acura TL TypeS - fast and a value leader, but front wheel drive.

Infiniti - 2003 XVL - we'll have to wait and see.

Mazda - 2003 RX8 - same as above.

Nissan - 2002 Altima? Hey with 240hp if might be fun. 2003/4 Maxima rumored to go rear wheel drive with 280hp.

Others: WRX, Lancer and the list can go on.

My .02 www.geocities.com/ralittle2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts