Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the market for a set of coilovers and would like to gather some information from those who know or are owners of coilovers. I would like to find out what are good reputable brands to go with and also each brands spring rate and range of adjustability(how low they will go). For example

Tein basic:

Spring rate front/rear....Height adjustment range

What do you guys use here? teins? megan? k-sports? Id like to stay within a budget of around $1000 and the car will be mostly street driven, but I want to have it sit pretty low. Low enough to have 18's sit flush or even tuck tire. thanks in advance

·
Registered
418 Posts
IMO stay away from K sports megan, & stick with Tein's/HKS/JIC/

In your price rang the Tein superstreets would be ideal as they have more height adjustment then the tein basics and can be had for $1K

Stuff like K sports megan etc are OK for the 1st 6 months or so, but are never as reliable in the long run compared with a reputable brand like Tein.

Also for your price range you could look at a koni shock/Eibach spring combo or bilstein/H&R combo

Im in the market for a set of coilovers and would like to gather some information from those who know or are owners of coilovers. I would like to find out what are good reputable brands to go with and also each brands spring rate and range of adjustability(how low they will go). For example

Tein basic:

Spring rate front/rear....Height adjustment range

What do you guys use here? teins? megan? k-sports? Id like to stay within a budget of around $1000 and the car will be mostly street driven, but I want to have it sit pretty low. Low enough to have 18's sit flush or even tuck tire. thanks in advance

·
Registered
209 Posts
IMO stay away from K sports megan, & stick with Tein's/HKS/JIC/

In your price rang the Tein superstreets would be ideal as they have more height adjustment then the tein basics and can be had for $1K

Stuff liek K sports megan etc are OK for teh 1st 6 montsh or so, but are never as reliable in teh long run compared with a reputable brand like Tein.

Also for your price range you could look at a koni shock/Eibach spring combo or bilstein/H&R combo

Judging by how low he wants to go, I don't think a spring/strut combo would be good for him in this situation. A coilover system would make him a lot happier i think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what are the differences in the teins, such as the tein basic, flex, super street..etc

My friend just purchased a set of flex's for his gs and those go pretty low compared to the other models, does this apply to the is300 as well? How low will the super streets allow me to drop the car?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have Tein SS on mine and They were very affordable with dampening adjustment. They ride quite smooth. A little under $900. Or Tein basics for around $800. Save yourself $100's for something else. I've had Tanabe's for around the same price and the Teins are a lil better IMO. Good luck

·
Registered
418 Posts
what are the differences in the teins, such as the tein basic, flex, super street..etc

My friend just purchased a set of flex's for his gs and those go pretty low compared to the other models, does this apply to the is300 as well? How low will the super streets allow me to drop the car?
Your friend with the Gs is correct the Flex's do allow to dump the car lower then basic's/superstreet's.

Basic's are like a 2" drop

SS 2.5-3"

Flex 3.75" drop. with a firmer spring/damper settings compared with basic/SS

Most cars with SS looked slammed, I doubt you would need to go any lower then what these are capable of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts