Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone- I’m having a dilemma with my IS wagon. I just got done replacing the spark plugs after it misfiring. Included in replacing the plugs, we had new coil pack go along with this quick job. The car started up fine the first time! In celebration I went to in&out with the homies only to get back in and have the car start and then die after 10 seconds-or less of idle. I’m not sure if I did my spark plug job wrong (somehow) OR if this job only spawned a new issue in either fuel or air. Walk me through your idea on how to fix this so I don’t end up making this worse. Thanks!

jonathan
Car Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Mr. Roo
Super Moderator
10,232 Posts
When you were changing the plugs and coils, did any of the wire harness connectors break? Those always break at this age. It's always best to replace them with this job, but I think zipties work too. So that's what I'd check first.

Also, what coil packs and plugs did you use? Using non-OEM parts have made this problem too many times. Cheap coilpacks from Amazon don't work.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
With mine i had to reset the ECU and take it for a drive so it could relearn the trims with the new plugs. When it first started it made a bit of a knocking noise for 5 seconds, made me just about jump out my skin, but settled after. After getting it warmed up and driven for a bit it was right as rain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you were changing the plugs and coils, did any of the wire harness connectors break? Those always break at this age. It's always best to replace them with this job, but I think zipties work too. So that's what I'd check first.

Also, what coil packs and plugs did you use? Using non-OEM parts have made this problem too many times. Cheap coilpacks from Amazon don't work.

I do remember the little plastic housing to the wiring harness to one of the coil packs broke. And it took 20 minutes to shimmy the wires together to successfully plug in. I’ll try the zip tie option as well as check the vacuum lines under the intake to see if it was disconnected! Y’all are the best wish me luck- I’ll return an update tomorrow or Monday 💪🏼

1 - 7 of 7 Posts