Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Lexus Is300
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I just created my account here but I'm not new to this forum. This is actually my 2nd IS300, and I have been building my is300 for about 7ish months, and have quite a few mods I've added already!

But I wanted to start this thread to get insight into my plans and to see if anyone has done this before.

Here is a list of the mods that I have recently purchased and about to have installed:

-BC stage 2 Cams
-BC exhaust cam gear
-BC intake and exhaust valves
-BC steel springs and retainers
-NGK Iridium spark plugs
-Misc gaskets and other parts to freshen up the system!

My questions about this topic pertains to if anyone has done this build to the head on a N/A setup before? Also, what is a preferred adjustment to the redline with these supporting mods when I snag a piggyback or standalone? And what would be a good EMS for this kind of build?

My end goal is to build a high reving motor for to attend drift events in the near future. I'm not necessarily looking to go turbo or extremely high HP build, but I may consider in the future. Any advice/insight/tips would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
3,528 Posts
First off, For what you have said you are planning on doing. The cam will not give you much more power and is not a high rpm cam.

If you truely want high rpm. You need much larger. A stand alone, High compression, rods, etc..

·
Registered
2002 Lexus Is300
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, For what you have said you are planning on doing. The cam will not give you much more power and is not a high rpm cam.

If you truely want high rpm. You need much larger. A stand alone, High compression, rods, etc..
Forsure I agree, what made me decide to get the stage 2 cam was the plug and play application since I don't have a EMS and I'm not made of money lol. I was hoping to raise the redline to 7200-7500 with this setup I listed above and eventually move to stage 3 and press it even further. Would that rpm level still be ok with the stage 2 or is that still out of it's range? Also, in regards to the HP gains, I know I'm not gonna get a big gain from this setup, I was honestly just looking for a little more power and torque to break the tires loose and keep them spinning for the drifting aspect. I'm trying to get my foot in the door of more legal drifting and wanted to start with a solid platform and build onto/upgrade from there. I'm taking this build in steps because I still like to daily the car as of now.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus Is300
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also know I need a piggyback or EMS to raise the rpm and adjust the AFR so that will come later on as well obviously

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,006 Posts
7200 is fine 7500 is probably beyond what those cams will breathe. Valve springs are on your list so you’re good there.
A stand alone is needed to raise the rpm limit. Piggyback won’t do much for you and your goals.

Reactions: Dkheit7

·
Registered
2002 Lexus Is300
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
7200 is fine 7500 is probably beyond what those cams will breathe. Valve springs are on your list so you’re good there.
A stand alone is needed to raise the rpm limit. Piggyback won’t do much for you and your goals.
Gotcha, I'll set my sights on 7200 once I get a stand alone system. As of now I just want everything installed and then run with that for a little while until I find/decide on a stand alone system and then I'll go from there. I've been tossing back and forth on what system to use for the stand alone, but I see a lot of mixed reviews on practically all the systems online, so I'm still undecided as of now lol.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Man, the thing is, the JZ engines are kind of dogs NA. The reason you don’t see many NA is because of the diminishing returns. The cost to build a high compression high revving motor just isn’t justifiable, when you can boost them for so much less money - and get quite a bit of usable power. I just question how much of a useful powerband it will have NA, but I am no expert so I may be totally incorrect. I think you’d be better getting a gasp e39/e46 m3 bmw if you want to stay NA RWD.

All that said, I think it would be pretty cool to have an all-motor JZ. And when you got ready to boost, it would be all that much closer by having a standalone, built head, etc.

I think the BC264 would be good cams if you stay NA or go boost. You can run them without a standalone and I dont think they require the upgraded springs/retainers/locks but I am glad to see you’re doing that while you’re in there, as well as I recommend replacing the valve stem seals while she’s all apart.

I’m definitely interested in seeing how your project goes 👍🏼

·
Registered
2002 Lexus Is300
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man, the thing is, the JZ engines are kind of dogs NA. The reason you don’t see many NA is because of the diminishing returns. The cost to build a high compression high revving motor just isn’t justifiable, when you can boost them for so much less money - and get quite a bit of usable power. I just question how much of a useful powerband it will have NA, but I am no expert so I may be totally incorrect. I think you’d be better getting a gasp e39/e46 m3 bmw if you want to stay NA RWD.

All that said, I think it would be pretty cool to have an all-motor JZ. And when you got ready to boost, it would be all that much closer by having a standalone, built head, etc.

I think the BC264 would be good cams if you stay NA or go boost. You can run them without a standalone and I dont think they require the upgraded springs/retainers/locks but I am glad to see you’re doing that while you’re in there, as well as I recommend replacing the valve stem seals while she’s all apart.

I’m definitely interested in seeing how your project goes 👍🏼
Thanks for the advice! I completely agree with you on the N/A aspect. It definitely isn't a powerhouse without a turbo, that's why I tried to play it smart and stay N/A at first and do all of this that could all transfer to a turbo build if I so choose to. In a sense, I'm taking this in stages to see some gains now, and prep myself for further upgrades in the future. I like the thought of an all N/A motor for a reliability aspect but I'm just anxious to take this to a turbo build and have maintenance and reliability issues in the future due to pushing the motor, but I know that comes with any kind of spirited/hard driving. I also already have headers, Megan downpipe and a built exhaust and a cold air intake with K&N filter. Funny you mentioned valve stem seals cause I'm replacing those as well lol. I also have intake manifold gaskets, valve cover and head gaskets, new timing belt, new camshaft seal, new head bolts, and a new radiator and hoses. I'm wanting to make sure this motor lasts! She's got a lot of miles on her sadly :/ (230,000) but she's running good as of now! so I'm trying to make sure I can get the most out of this motor. I'm also, about to install a chase bays hydro handbrake system with a standalone resevoir. Also already have maxpeed coilovers, Eibach front and rear sway bars, Tanabe rear strut tower brace, cusco rear bar by the differential, cipher harness bar with Racequip harnesses. Needless to say, I've gone almost all out on the suspension setup already! 😂

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,006 Posts
While most people don’t build NA 2JZ, for what you want to do with the car right now it’s perfect. You don’t even need to boost the car to drift it. I used to drift my stock ass KA in my 240sx back in 2005-2007. I had lots of suspension work and a KAAZ LSD. It worked just fine. I do suggest getting an auto rear end for the shorter gear ratios. That will help you keep the car just a bit more in the power band.

Reactions: Kris OK and Dkheit7

·
Registered
2002 Lexus Is300
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While most people don’t build NA 2JZ, for what you want to do with the car right now it’s perfect. You don’t even need to boost the car to drift it. I used to drift my stock ass KA in my 240sx back in 2005-2007. I had lots of suspicion work and a KAAZ LSD. It worked just fine. I do suggest getting an auto rear end for the shorter gear ratios. That will help you keep the car just a bit more in the power band.
Thanks! My next step after installing everything I listed above was to find an auto LSD to solidify the build. That will set me up for the events in the future in my thoughts

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,006 Posts
Thanks! My next step after installing everything I listed above was to find an auto LSD to solidify the build. That will set me up for the events in the future in my thoughts
Sounds good. I take it you are just learning how to drift? If so learning proper technique and increasing driver skill is paramount. That way when you do step up to more power, you can handle that easily.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus Is300
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've actually been drifting for about 4 years ish? I do it when I have a chance, but, just not in a legal platform in events. I owned a G35 after my first IS and I was drifting with both of those all the time back in the day. I'm comfortable with drifting, just haven't gone to actual events yet per say. I'm open to advice and new techniques, if there are any to suggest, but I've been doing this for a little while now.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,006 Posts
I’m sure you know what you’re doing.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus Is300
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m sure you know what you’re doing.
We shall see when the time comes for the events lol, but with everything that was mentioned above, do you have any suggestions on a standalone system that would optimize the results I'm looking for? I was leaning towards the Emanage ultimate, but some of the threads on here have lead me to think I should reconsider.. I'm just wanting to make sure I utilize the springs/retainers, valves and cams when building this and not just be overkill.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,006 Posts
Well the unfortunate part of a stand alone is that they will be pricey. Aem infinity, AEM EMS2, link g4, megasquirt 3, Haltech, motec.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus Is300
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the unfortunate part of a stand alone is that they will be pricey. Aem infinity, AEM EMS2, link g4, megasquirt 3, Haltech, motec.
That's very true, I'm gonna have to save some money for a while to do that, but that's great insight into some options I can look into! Thanks for your advice and help, I greatly appreciate it!

·
3,528 Posts
Oh, just around 7000 rpm or so. I thought you are going high rpm. I would then go PPE header, 3 inch exhaust. Lots of rear end gear. Like 4.30 to 5.15 with a T56 transmission. when you want to go up. Get another engine. Do rods, 13 to 1 or so pistons. Standalone with individual throttle bodies. Much bigger shaft then stage 3. Coil on plug conversion. Change rear end out for Ford 8.8 and re-gear for new setup.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I do suggest getting an auto rear end for the shorter gear ratios. That will help you keep the car just a bit more in the power band.

rear end gear. Like 4.30 to 5.15 with a T56 transmission.
Those are probably some of the best two pieces of advice on here. I’d wager you will feel going to a 4.30, more than headers and cams. I know crap-all about drifting but I do know it will launch like a mofo with the gears. You can use a brz/frs diff too. Think you have to swap some of the ear bolts or something, but it will bolt right up.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus Is300
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, just around 7000 rpm or so. I thought you are going high rpm. I would then go PPE header, 3 inch exhaust. Lots of rear end gear. Like 4.30 to 5.15 with a T56 transmission. when you want to go up. Get another engine. Do rods, 13 to 1 or so pistons. Standalone with individual throttle bodies. Much bigger shaft then stage 3. Coil on plug conversion. Change rear end out for Ford 8.8 and re-gear for new setup.
That's not a bad idea at all! I'd like to get a t56 trans but they are $2k-$3k and that would break the bank along with the stuff to convert it (another $2k or so). I was personally looking into doing a 350z cd009 trans swap for about $3k total in the future, but the T56 would hold up a lot better I believe. The other mods you said I'm considering upsizing my exhaust and get a different set of headers, should get the most bang for my buck! And the rear end is a good idea as well!

·
Registered
2002 Lexus Is300
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those are probably some of the best two pieces of advice on here. I’d wager you will feel going to a 4.30, more than headers and cams. I know crap-all about drifting but I do know it will launch like a mofo with the gears. You can use a brz/frs diff too. Think you have to swap some of the ear bolts or something, but it will bolt right up.
I actually didn't know you could swap in a FRS/BRZ diff. That's actually extremely interesting to hear. I may need to look into that, is there a thread on here that talks about the diff conversion? I'm trying to plan out that as my next step after installing everything so this is perfect timing to hear and plan ahead! Lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts