Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was broken into last night, and they ****ed up my key hole. The thieves only stole my spare tire out of the trunk. I dont understand it, I thought this car wasn't popular for theft. I had a 92 Integra LS which was stolen, and a 2001 Integra Type R which was stolen, all in the past 6 months. Hope the IS isn't next. Anybody have any ideas of the cost of the spare and the drivers side key hole? I'm soo pissed right now.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Your Screen Name explains it all....

j/k

·
Registered
348 Posts
NEWYORKIS: ur probably the 3rd one I know within the area. Same thing man, makes u wonder why they want only spare keys..um..um...btw, they can steal ur car because of the immobilizer system..one of the best in the industry...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey flipside was that a typo, did you mean they cant steal the car b/c of the imobilizer? If thats the case I just wont get a spare til my lease is up. I mean we have road side assistance if I get a flat.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Just a FYI:

there is a way to disable the trunk release from inside the car. i disabled mine so if anyone breaks in they cant get to the trunk with poping it open.

The way you do it is put your key in the trunk hole and turn it to the left all the way, then remove the key in this position, now the trunk will only open with the remote or the key!

sorry to hear about your car

Mike

·
Registered
348 Posts
NEWYORKIS: ur right' my bad..too early for me to reply
anyway..yeah they CANNOT STEAL UR CAR...my old es300 they tried and failed...same with my friend's IS they tried(same scenario as yours) failed too...its just the pain of having it fix and going thru insurance is a pain..btw if ur not going to file a claim..ur looking at about $1000 or so for labor and parts...I would go insurance route..they wont increase ur premium because its vandalism..but check it with ur insurance guy..aight'

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by flipside:
ur looking at about $1000 or so for labor and parts...I would go insurance route..they wont increase ur premium because its vandalism..but check it with ur insurance guy..aight'
hey man, that blows, sorry.
Similar thing happened to me 3 weeks after i bought it... some dude took a screwdriver to the door handle and tried to pop the lock... when that failed he went to try to pry the whole handle out of the car door. When that failed he left.
All told, it was $1500 in damage.

Insurance premium was $1k

·
Registered
50 Posts
Call me a naive midwesterner, but why did they just steal your spare? Is it worth much? or were they just hoping you would have more in the trunk? like nice golf clubs?

Sorry about the car.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Maybe they wanted the wheel lock that's on the spare!

I don't know if those locks are unique, but if you have one, you can steel wheels off any IS with stock wheels.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
NewYorkIS ... Where exactly in NY were you? That sux man.. now you gotta get a new wheel lock key. and a door handle

I have an OEM Chrome wheel with a brand new OEM 17inch Tire. I will Sell it to you for $200 (great for a spare) this way you can pocket $400 off the insurance check, if you wanna hook me up? They just sitting in my garage right now.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Devius- my lease is 439 a month with about 1500 due at signing.

BigDaddyRich- I have the graphite rims so I'm not sure if I could have a different rim for my spare, since the car is a lease. I have to look into it further. If I could then your on my list of people to call. If anybody nows if I do or dont need a graphite spare, please reply.

An update of my car, I took it to lexus for a quote and they said $2200. The thieves jammed something in the key the pryed have the handle off. The doors still lock and the alarm still works, so I'm not sure if I'm going to fix it right away. I mean the assholes will just do it again. Not sure if I will go through insurance b/c of this being my third claim in 6 months. Also they were saying I need all new stuff, which I dont b/c its a lease. As for the wheel lock, they actully left it in my car.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
69 Posts
the claim shouldn't hurt your insurance...you are covered against things like this on comprehensive...if you don't have comp. you wouldn't be covered anyway. The only thing that counts against you as far as keeping coverage is at fault accidents...the fact that you drive nice cars in that area of the country should already be factored into your rates...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 01 has been broken into 3 times, and stolen once. If you have a IS, don't ever park it on the SJU Queens Campus in NY. It will be gone in no time. Same technique. ..screwdriver into the door handle and a flat screwdriver under the hangle.My grandma can break into this car. Anyone else having this issue? Can this be a defect in the design? Hmmm...I smell class action suit. Let me know if this has happened to you please. And I really don't think this chip inside the key works. If not, my car wouldn't of been stolen. Hmmm..interesting stuff. Once again...let me know if your a victim too.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I lived in Queens for awhile, and some dude stoled my fog lights on my bimmer 325. This is the thrid times for you?? That really suck man.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Sorry to hear that bud! Comming from a big city with lots of car thefts of our own I feel for ya! Kinda scares me too.

Mike

·
Registered
489 Posts
What is it with new cars? Last year my wife & I got a RX300 & after a month some guy keyed the entire driver side, from tail light to head light. (We caught him, 36 hours community service). Then, I got my 2002 5sp IS300 & after three weeks I got rearended! Sometimes it makes me want to drive a beater.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts