Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like the only way I will be able to satisfy the 1000 mile break-in period and keep under 60 mph with this car is to drive up and down highway 1 for 24 hours straight.

------------------

·
Registered
994 Posts
From what I understand, you're supposed to vary the speed of the engine as much as you can during the break-in period. So, you probably won't want to be driving on highways much.

--k

·
Registered
424 Posts
Chiem, correct. It's highly recommended to let the engine varying in rpm and hence long highway driving is not recommended unless you deliberately rev up and down the engine.

Look at the manual, there should be a break-in period maintainence in every Toyota/Lexus manual.

Andy

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think dtplink knows that. If you live in California, you should know that FreeWay1 is full of S roads. You can pretty much vary your speed from 50 MPH ot 5MPH(if a stupid RV is in front of you).

[This message has been edited by yamaot (edited June 15, 2000).]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am pretty religious about breaking in a car. Vary speed and keep it under 55. But it is very difficult to do in California where everyone is practicing for the autobahn.
But a cruise up the coast will satisfy checking out the handling without me wanting to scream out the 15 to Las Vegas to see how it handles in that 100-140 range.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
What's the theory behind variable engine speed for the break-in??

Keep under 55 during break-in?? Shouldn't it be under a certain RPM instead??

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think the theory being you have to vary the speed so the engine won't favor certain speed. Plus for different speed, each part take on different action. If certain part is wearing worse than usual and you keep at that speed for a long time, it will damage your drive train.

As far as the RPM goes, it doesn't matter because engines are pre-break in in the factory, it's the gear in the tranny that you have to worry about.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Does the manual really say to keep it under 55 during the break-in period ?

If so, maybe they say this just to discourage you from buying from competing dealerships that might be freeway distance away ?

--k

·
Registered
423 Posts
I managed 100 miles today. Going for 200 more tomorrow and trying to stay off highways.

The IS300 manual (page 190) says:

Drive gently and avoid high speeds.
You need NOT follow a break-in schedule with your new Lexus. But following a few simple tips for the first 1000 miles can add to the future economy and log life of your vehicle:
* Do not drive over 55mph
* Avoid overrevving. Maintain engine speed between 2000 and 4000rpm (damn - I've been staying under 3000rpm!)
* Avoid full-throttle starts
* Try to avoid hard stops during first 200 miles
* Do not drive for a long time at any single speed, either fast or slow

[This message has been edited by pelucidor (edited June 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
387 Posts
Drive harder during break in period will make you engine more loose and smooth earlier. Example: all dealer demos are so smooth at 100Miles while my get to that point at about 15K miles. cause people drive hard at test drives. But the engine may die earlier....say 150K or so instead of 200K........who drive a car that long anyways?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wondering when everyone test drove IS300's were those cars properly broken-in?

I've heard that some cars (BMW 3ers) need to stack up a good 2000-3000+ miles before you can feel the true engine power.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Seeing as how my dealer had only got the car one day before my test drive, I seriously doubt it had a thousand miles. Felt pretty smooth anyways...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found this interesting information about the question of the value of adhering to a break-in period at http://www.t-h-c.org/ a Hyundai information site. The info seems appropriate for the IS300, a car especially that will be subjected to the use (and abuse) of a performance car.

* Change your oil at 1000 miles.
The new engine and its parts are getting to know each other very well, and small pieces of metal are worn off during the first 1000 miles. These small pieces are normal - all engines do this.
* Change engine speed often.
The engine should not be kept at a constant speed during the break-in period. Change speed every 5-10 minutes, slow down a few mph or speed up a few mph. This is most important for the first few hundred miles.
* Do not use cruise control for first 1000 miles.
The engine's speed should not be kept constant for long periods of time during the break-in. Avoid the use of cruise control.
* Avoid Hard Sudden Stops.
This is difficult since you rely greatly on other drivers to not cause a situation where you need to stop suddenly. Sudden stops can cause new brakes to not settle properly, shortening their life. Try to always maintain a large distance between you other cars, to help prevent sudden stops.
* Avoid Jack-Rabbit Starts.
Flooring the gas pedal and taking off may sound fun, but it's a quick way to shorten the life of your engine. Jack-Rabbit starts should never be performed, but it is very important to not do them during the break-in period.
* Transmission
Manual Transmissions should be kept in the correct gear. Do not allow the engine to lug (having the engine in too high a gear for the speed).
Automatic Transmissions should have the over-drive turned off when going below 35 mph (the switch is located on the shifter knob). Keeping the over-drive off below 35 mph keeps the RPM's higher, making certain the engine is hot enough to burn fuel and waste correctly. This is more important on 4-cylinder engines and should be used throughout the cars life. This will help keep the engine clean.
* Do not race the engine.
Racing the engine is never good, and even worse during the break-in period. Racing the engine can cause seals to settle incorrectly, causing problems down the road.
* Keep the speed low under 60 mph.
This is more important for the first couple hundred miles. Try not to go over 60 mph.
* Take a short trip.
Taking a short trip is a great way to break in your new car. Driving on the interstate in the slow lane allows you to quickly get the most important first few hundred miles completed. Driving on the interstate will also avoid traffic lights (stopping and starting) and allow you to vary your speed.

------------------

·
Registered
59 Posts
Originally posted by IS300 Fan:
I wondering when everyone test drove IS300's were those cars properly broken-in?

I've heard that some cars (BMW 3ers) need to stack up a good 2000-3000+ miles before you can feel the true engine power.
we told everyone to drive it like you stole it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
danminner
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing