Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

I am having a problem with my front left caliper. The pistons dont seem to be opening all the way when I let go of the brake. This causes the brake pads in the left caliper to ride on the rotor and heat up. I tried getting a new caliper thinking the caliper bad and the damn thing still doesnt ease up. When flushed the lines the caliper opened up but the second I hit the brake, it was sticking again. Does anyone know what this could be? Maybe the master cylinder or ABS unit or something??? thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sounds like your floating pins are bone dry or are rusted. These are the pins that sit inside the bracket the caliper bolts to with the 2 14mm bolts. They are held in place by two rubber boots. Pull these and and greast them well with high temp grease ( I use synthetic). I would say you have a bad caliper piston but since you replaced it already...

Hope this helps, good luck.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Hiroshima said:
Sounds like your floating pins are bone dry or are rusted. These are the pins that sit inside the bracket the caliper bolts to with the 2 14mm bolts. They are held in place by two rubber boots. Pull these and and greast them well with high temp grease ( I use synthetic). I would say you have a bad caliper piston but since you replaced it already...

Hope this helps, good luck.

Jeff
Depending on where he got the caliper from, they should have came with new caliper brackets therefore the sliding pins should be new also, and free from any rust, etc. But if he didn't get new brackets with the caliper, this could def be a problem. But it does sound like more of a hydraulic problem since you did say when you break up the bleeder screw the problem goes away. Has the brakes been worked on before? I would check the rubber brake line usually when a brake job gets done that rubber line sometimes get twisted.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I also got brackets. The lines and all seem to be okay. Me and my mechanic have been working on it together because I know that if I go to the Lexus dealer its going to cost me way too much. I'll check on the pins to make sure they aren't dry and grease them up tomorrow and let you know what happens. This happens and then my left headlamp burns out the next day. My car is hurting :( thanks a lot for the help guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey I have been going through the exact same problem my front left brake is sticking. I have repeatedly taken them apart, using the synthetic grease on the floating pins. Im a college student so money is sparce, also I am more of a do it myself kind of guy. Tomarrow im going to hook up a wood block and C clamp to hopefully loosen up the pistons. I just got 4 brand new tires which wasnt chump change. Now brakes! I have about 95,000 miles on the bad boy and the engine is still tight as the day I drove it out of the dealship. Toyota makes one hell of a car. Any suggestions of what I should do next?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, for me it ended up being the master cylinder. I tried to swap out the rotors and calipers and that did nothing. I just picked up a used master cylinder and that did the trick! hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
Had the same problem a year or two ago. Worst of all it happened while I was on vacation. Took it to the local Toyota dealership and they had to replace the calipers (can't do just one) plus turn the rotors and a lot of other brake work. Ended up costing me about $1300. Whatever you do don't drive on it or you'll make it worse.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had the same problem a year or two ago. Worst of all it happened while I was on vacation. Took it to the local Toyota dealership and they had to replace the calipers (can't do just one) plus turn the rotors and a lot of other brake work. Ended up costing me about $1300. Whatever you do don't drive on it or you'll make it worse.
Yea what they basically did for you was replace the entire ABS system. I was quoted that at lexus too, but didnt have that kind of cash. I just replaced the master cylinder for $100 and it worked great for me!

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
Yea what they basically did for you was replace the entire ABS system. I was quoted that at lexus too, but didnt have that kind of cash. I just replaced the master cylinder for $100 and it worked great for me!
I have since installed SS brake lines and Blue Stuff brake fluid in hopes of preventing it from happening again. Sooner or later i'll get some drilled and/or slotted rotors too :approve:

·
Registered
7 Posts
The same thing is happening to me right now but its in mt Right caliper i loss end the pistons with the C clamp and it worked for today but i think its starting to tighten back up again. i don't understand how replacing the master cylinder would fix it, because that goes for all brakes not just the one. this is some shit man its not cheep at all to fix, and someone who really doesn't have the extra money to spend it really sucks! i got the car for its good looks and excellent reviews but ever since ive bot it ive been having probs. ive only had it for 3 months and ive already had to replace my water pump housing because it got a pin hole crack in it some how, and that was about $500 to fix myself, and now this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts