Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Squareback who put together this tutorial.

Thanks to the following people, for providing their experiences and information, without them and the .net, I would be using the lowly tape adapter for my Ipod and the FM Transmitter for my XM.

Thanks to: CSDSTUDIO, Lisnup65, SophieSleeps, Drinkmalk, vlad a, and MNSpectraBlueIS

I read all the FAQs (mainly this one - http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=220767&highlight=aux+relay), and originally decided to go the PIE route, but had second thoughts and went the relay route, as I felt it fit my situation better. (Mainly I'm cheap, and I didn't like the idea of jerry-rigging the PIE switcher to fit our needs for the Aux-In)

The following parts used were:

1) 4PDT Relay

2) 14-Pin Relay Socket

**I used the relay screw socket to make it easier than working on those little pins and in case a relay blows, I can just pop in a new one.**

3) 2 female RCA jacks from Radio Shack

4) Pro-Fit VSM Mount

5) 3.5MM to RCA jack cable

6) SPST Switch (to control power to the relay)

7) Power Socket from Radio Shack (to hard-wire the power)

Dis-assembly:

1) Pop lint tray out with screwdriver

2) Unscrew dash tray - 2 Philips head screws

3) Pull dash tray out and up to remove from dash

4) Pull out switch tray from below radio

5) Tape up sides of dash to prevent nicks from radio as you remove it

6) Unscrew two 10mm bolts from the top or radio and below radio

7) Unplug AC harnesses, radio harness, and antennas from behind radio and remove

8) Pop console up with a screwdriver behind the chrome trim and remove, need to unhook cigarette harness, ashtray light, cigarette ring light

Relay Install:

1) Ignore AC harness and grab radio harness

2) Cut back the black casing and look for shielded white casing with green stripe

3) Separate and cut white, red, green, black (Brown if you have a 2001)

**Make sure where you cut the wires that you leave space for the relay socket to fit behind the radio and harness connector when you reinstall the radio. I almost made my HU side of the wires too short and the relay was bumping up against the back of the radio when I reconnected the harness**

4) Attach W,R,G,B to 1-4 on relay socket, this is your HU signal

5) Attach W,R,G,B to 9-12 on relay socket, this is your output to the amp

6) Attach 2 RCA females to 5-8, this is your Aux Input

**Order of wires doesn't matter as long as they correspond (L+, L-, R+, R-)**

7) Pin 13 and 14 are for ground and power (either one works for either)

8) I attached 13 to the switch ( I will later hook-up the switch to the pink (positive) wire on the cigarette lighter, but I did it in conjunction with the power hard-wire, so I will get to it later)

9) I attached 14 to ground using one of the "bronze" screws under the console, directly below where the ashtray would be

10) Push in relay into socket

Hard-wire Power Install:

1) Used the "bronze" ground screw directly under where the ashtray would be for the ground on the power socket

2) I soldered the positive lead of the accessory socket to the positive connector (pink wire) of the cigarette lighter.

I had to remove the plastic clear case around the connector, but after soldering the accessory power socket wire and the power wire for the relay via the switch, I slide the plastic case back on the connector for a nice snug professional fit. I also did it this way, because I didn't have to cut the stock positive cigarette lighter wire.

I plugged in the power cord from the RoadyXT and tucked it up in the dash.

Assembly:

1) connect one 3.5mm to RCA Jack to the female RCA Aux-In jacks

2) Route Power and 3.5MM wire out dash tray area

3) Line up Pro-Fit Mount with top right radio screw hole

4) Reinstall radio, dash tray, lint cover, console cover, and switch holder

5) Mount XM to Pro-Fit Mount, and hook up power, line out, and antenna

6) Flip the Aux-In switch and enjoy!

Night Shot!

My daughter enjoying the tunes via the Aux-In Mod!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I implemented a variation on this since my Radio Shack didn't have the same relay connector as pictured there:

The aux-in for my case was to an XM radio, so pins 1 and 4 are the L+ and R+ aux-in (each going to the center of an RCA jack). This makes the XM the default source until I push a switch and the relay is powered on, passing the headunit through instead. Pins 5 and 8 are coming from the headunit side of the harness and are the headunit-in L+ and R+. pins 9 and 12 go out to the amp's L+ and R+. Pin 13 is grounded, pin 14 goes to a pushbutton switch and then spliced into the gray wire which is switched power for the headunit. The L-/R- from aux-in, the headunit-in and amp-out are all connected together without a separate relay, since (if I understand grounding) they can all be connected as long as there's only one set of positive L/R leads going to the amp. *EDIT* I'm not correct, I need to either use a second relay for the L-/R- or ground all the L-/R- wires because i'm getting some engine whine when the headunit-in is enabled.

In addition to make this work with my XM, I've got an adapter to turn the RCA into a headphone connector and an extension that plugs into the XM. I also got a nice "auxiliary cigarette lighter" which is the socket and wiring (+ fuses, splices and mounting hardware) to install a secondary 12V socket in your car. In this case I'm using it to connect the XM's power adapter underneath the dash without cutting any wires on the XM's power adapter. I just spliced the positive lead (which happily has its own fuse) into the cigarette lighter's power and ground the other lead. Once the XM's power is connected, I stuffed it into a corner of the dash and screwed it in place.

With all that done I re-installed the radio and ran the XM's power and audio extension up to where the DVD NAV wires usually go and mount the XM display flush with the tray. *EDIT* Forgot to mention but to accomplish this you basically have to either drill a hole in the back of the tray or disassemble the spring-loaded cover and run wires through where the cover usually pivots. Make sure you really want to take the cover apart because getting the spring back in properly is kind of a pita.

Also you should be careful to tape up the top of the tray area incase you scratch it up when re-installing the tray, and really try to tape up the underneath of the radio once it comes out since I scratched up even parts of my shifter surround (this stuff scratches -really- easily!!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I read the FAQ's as best as possible and I didn't see any rules against reviving a dead thread. And I don't really want to revive this one I just wanted to say thanks to longnights for taking the time to post those helpful photos. My disc changer crapped out on me and I needed to get the discs out of it but I've never taken apart the dash before and didn't know how. Your post gave me the confidence to do it and I got back my CD's! (Although my CD changer still doesn't work but I needed a new headunit anyways)

So thanks for taking the time to post that!

~grey

·
Registered
249 Posts
Great write up! Everything is good and works......the only problem for me is I don't know shit about relays!!!! I went to 4 different stores looking for relays...and guys working there don't know shit either. Guy at Radio Shack tells me he can't help me because he does not know anything either and at one audio store guy got into argument with me saying it can't be done and when I told him it has been done so he tells me it's illegal and kicked me out of his store because he was trying to sell me some FM module shit and I said no! Then, after doing a lot of research online, I found out another way it can be done!!!!!
USA Spec makes modules which connect right into the factory head unit and it's a lot easier. The only thing is it's a little pricey vs relays!! I will be creating a thread to show DIY if I get the USA Spec...I haven't decided.....

And one more thing I just remembered: thanks to all you guys on my.IS showing these DIY's....I really appreciate this guys because the guy at the audio store told me that it will be impossible for me to take that head unit out of the dash and I was able to prove him wrong :lol: Thanks to this and other forums for showing me how to remove the head unit....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good pictures and instructions! Thanks! I used your shift ring picture to replace the bulb under the "R D N M 3 2 1" stuff. Thanks! I just need to go find that bulb now. It's a small little bulb!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Im about to try what you did step-by-step in the tutorial but I have a couple questions on it. What is the accessory power socket for? I basically just want to make the AUX-In using the relay socket like you did, what would I need or Not need just to do the AUX-In mod? I'm about to buy the 14 pin relay socket, the relay, I have the switch and the RCA females? What else do I need?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but does anyone know how to do this for a simple aux in (single 3.5mm female input for an iPod cable - that won't destroy my iPod)?

Shoot me a PM, thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just did this and i have no sound now... have the SAME relay but made a small on/off switch.. but disconnected it b/c I thought I was doing something. but still nothing. Any help?

·
Registered
4 Posts
how do you controll the volume here
will the stereo do this doing it this way or will the volume have to be controlled by the ipod

·
Registered
29 Posts
Reviving dead threads!

Same questions as below and no one has answered yet. and the links for the parts are dead 404 error. help anyone? I found the same relay socket on Amazon, no luck finding open rca leads like that, and not sure what to do for a power socket, or if its even need? just doing aux in for my phone, don't really need power... unless the relay socket needs power for some reason..........

I'm also assuming that this mod just puts the aux-in on CD1?

Anyone that can help please post!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I really want to do this. Thought I would give it another bump to see if any knowledgeable people on this DIY are still out there that can answer some of these questions.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm sorry, but I have no idea wth he did...am I that dumb? The relay pictures look different. Did you add the RCA females to an end that already had the wires connected to it or is that a separate relay.????

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new here. Just bought my 02 a couple weeks ago and did the aux mod this morning. When I switch to the aux, the subwoofers (factory) dont work. All speakers work just fine when I switch back to the radio...any suggestions?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just did this a few weeks ago and it works great! Here's some more info that'll hopefully help others out.

Updated links to the relay and socket:
4PDT 12VDC relay (part number 4PRLY-12)
14 pin relay socket (part number MT14-PC)

I connected the head unit side of the harness to the lower row of the relay socket (sorry, forgot what the pin numbers are) because I wanted AUX IN to be the default source:

I'm electronics illiterate so the part that confused the hell out of me was what to do with the RCA Y cable. After some googling, I finally figured out what the 2 wires inside the black insulation are. The center wire is (+) and the bare wire is (-):

In my first attempt, when I saw the 2 wires inside the black insulation I thought wtf and just twisted them together (told you I'm electronics illiterate :p). Then I finally realized you're only supposed to use one of the 2 wires inside the black insulation at a time. In other words, when you connect the (+) wire to the socket, you tape up and ignore the (-) wire and when you connect the (-) wire, tape up the (+) wire.

So @Gohanburner .... no man, I'm right there with you lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
rebuilding this thread

I am relay literate, and I'm going to do this mod except im going to implement a bluetooth module so i can listen to my music without wires (for the love of god i hate wires). I will post pictures of my voyage and do my best to explain what he did a little better if at all. (Thread was pretty easy to follow but i can see some terms missed).

buying the rest of the parts within the next month

1 - 20 of 23 Posts