Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just thought I'd post this in case anyone has thoughts or experience with what I am trying to figure out before the new day.

Took 2 days but me and a friend swapped my 2003 IS300 Auto to Manual.

I got most of the parts as a package deal.

The swap was a bitch but went well more or less, there were a few issues on first test drive.
Namely the smoking from the engine bay when I parked after a 10min drive, my friend said it smelled like tranny fluid.

Also we lifted the motor slightly (leaving the motor mount bolts in but loose) during install and It does not seem to want to sit back down correctly. It is raised slightly on the passenger side and I can see the tranny through the shift hole looks ever so slightly tilted. we re-tightened the mount bolts without issue. my air intake tubing (stock) is an inch short to the air box.

I have not put the Manual ECU or console in yet, car started, shifted and drove more or less fine. The clutch engages right near the floorboard (I'll adjust tomorrow), the clutch may need more bleeding but does work. All gears shift into and out of fine, I have no tranny tunnel so i hear everything and at higher RPM 4th sounds a lil grindy/lound but properly closed I probably wouldn't notice.

Thought all was good till we saw the smoke, may be something, may not, gonna look in the morning.

Also the kit i got came with a Stage 3 clutch (which was unfortunate for me but I'll live) this is my first time with a stage 3 and I may have rode the clutch a little getting a feel for it which i've read is a no-no for my 6 puck un-sprung.

The Clutch, Pressure plate, and flywheel were used but supposedly only for a few months and work fine (supposedly), think it might just be re-seating, burning off crap on the discs, and or burning off any tranny fluid spilt?

Gonna take another look in the morning and I'll update but if anyhting above jumps out to someone, I am NOT a mechanic, but I've worked on cars with guidance for years, and this is a project car so not to worried if i got to tinker some, please LMK.

Thanks.

*oh and I'll post some pics of the install in the morning.
**Aftermarket performance clutch pedal assembly works but still needs to be cut to fit stock is300 pedal, fml.

·
Registered
86 Posts
As far as your motor mounting issues go, you could think about possibly replacing them with new ones. They aren't too expensive I believe and should improve your handling. I want to replace mine eventually.

·
Registered
2004 IS300 Manual Swapped
6 Posts
How much smoke was there? I always expect a little smoke to burn off after a job like this since you’ve been touching everything with oily hands.
Might be worth checking if the motor mount itself got damaged.
How close to the floor is your pedal engaging? Stock pedals or aftermarket clutch pedal? Just did this swap a couple weeks ago and my clutch also engages pretty much right off the floor w/stock pedals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts