Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my '03 IS300 last year with 88K miles for $10K. I knew I was getting a good deal but I paied and ran out the door. About 6 months ago I noticed that the KBB value was $10500 which was fine but I just check my KBB value today with 96K miles and the value is $10860.

Is the IS300 gaining value like the Supra eventually did? I seems like the value of my car is increasing.. :suspiciou

·
Registered
305 Posts
especially 5-spd ones :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
especially 5-spd ones :)
The 5spd is stupid hard to find. No doubt.

I don't get it because the IS300 is pretty common in SoCal.

I almost don't know if I should sell my IS or keep it. I already have a track vehicle so I wouldn't do many power mods to this car other than bolt-ons.

·
Super Moderator
8,687 Posts
Really every car (ex exotic , rare models and super rare cars) will lose value as time goes one unless the need goes up or you have the right buyer ...

But the way i look at it every year goes by and kids keep crashing their IS's eventually my IS will keep getting more rare :)

·
Super Moderator
8,687 Posts
I agree. But it sucks that 16 yr old high school kids start driving these cars like they are Civics.
True story , and cant do anything about it but hope they fade out and our cars will keep looking better...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The supply and demand argument fails here in Puerto Rico. The supply is low but the demand is even lower. I probably wouldn't even get half of what I paid for mine. Besides, here people tend to buy SUV's and larger cars, you have to factor in the market as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting topic. I bought an '01 (no LSD or Nav, but otherwise loaded) with 113k miles last spring. I intended to keep the car, but there are too many external issues (not related to the car at all) going on for me to justify keeping it.

I've looked at KBB value now with 117k on the clock, and it's about $7,800. NADA retail is $10,800. You simply cannot find a similar IS300 to mine (year, miles, condition) for under $10k. I listed it on craigslist for $8900 and all I get are people wanting to give me below KBB. I know it's worth more to the right buyer, but it is very hard to determine value.

So, my question is: What is the right way to value these cars? I know I'm not going to get above KBB from anyone who is just looking for a nice sedan and doesn't care what brand/model they buy, but I certainly believe it's worth much more than that to someone wanting an IS specifically. A 300 mile radius (around Kansas City) search on autotrader turns up only 3 or 4 cars, and IIRC only one is an '01. It's at a dealer, has 114k miles, and is priced at $10k.

·
Premium Member
12,083 Posts
BRB, selling my car in Canadia

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Interesting topic. I bought an '01 (no LSD or Nav, but otherwise loaded) with 113k miles last spring. I intended to keep the car, but there are too many external issues (not related to the car at all) going on for me to justify keeping it.

I've looked at KBB value now with 117k on the clock, and it's about $7,800. NADA retail is $10,800. You simply cannot find a similar IS300 to mine (year, miles, condition) for under $10k. I listed it on craigslist for $8900 and all I get are people wanting to give me below KBB. I know it's worth more to the right buyer, but it is very hard to determine value.

So, my question is: What is the right way to value these cars? I know I'm not going to get above KBB from anyone who is just looking for a nice sedan and doesn't care what brand/model they buy, but I certainly believe it's worth much more than that to someone wanting an IS specifically. A 300 mile radius (around Kansas City) search on autotrader turns up only 3 or 4 cars, and IIRC only one is an '01. It's at a dealer, has 114k miles, and is priced at $10k.
Thats the problem. An IS3 is no big deal, not many people want one specifically, as we would like to think. It's just not there. Doesn't mean someone won't come along who will give you 10k for it, but for everyone that will, there will be 10 that won't. All this being said good luck with your sale dude.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The 5spd is stupid hard to find. No doubt.

I don't get it because the IS300 is pretty common in SoCal.

I almost don't know if I should sell my IS or keep it. I already have a track vehicle so I wouldn't do many power mods to this car other than bolt-ons.
Damn I feel like a straight baller having picked up a 03 Sport Design Black Leather 5 Speed..... $9999 :jawDrop:

·
Registered
31 Posts

Keep in mind that KBB and other price guides are estimates. The value is established when you have a seller and a buyer who agree on price. Don't expect to get retail price if you are a private seller.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '04 IS300 Sport Design, 88k miles, Thunder Cloud Metallic paint, and about $400 in paint damage. Looking at KBB, the trade-in value is $11,355 for Good condition, and the dealer offered me $10,500 in trade-in? Isn't the '04 Sport Design have a few different options that no other sport design has, and could I really get more in Canada or should I wait for the right buyer? Lexus has been pretty eager for me to trade it in for the last 16 months...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts