Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a IS300. I live in the northeast and the winters are pretty snowy. How are the stock 17" tires on snowy roads? Has anyone considered the 16" with the All Seasons for the snow reasons?

Is it worth it to downgrade to the 16" "at no cost" or should I get the 17" and get replacement All Seasons tires for the winter season.

Can anyone recomend where I can research getting All Season replacement tires for the 17" Stock wheels?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Or get cheap 16"s with Blizzaks (specially designed for snow).

That way the sweet 17" stock rims stay nice and cozy in your garage away from MA salt!

------------------
cardinal

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the same issue when I got mine.
I figured I would go with the 17's and get a second set of tires for the great weather we have.
Besides the benefit of winter tires, having 2 sets will extend the life of the originals if they are in your garage for the winter months.

------------------
'01 SBM IS300

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I got 17s and my car feels great...although I haven't driven in snow yet, I doubt the 17s would be the best choice. If you have extra money, but em both. The 16s don't look as great or perform as great on the road, but they'll be better in the snow. In fact, most cars in the Northeast are getting 16s standard. That's what I've noticed so far.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
go w/ the 17's for now and when the snow comes change to 16's w/ snow tires. Juss get cheap rims but then you gotta get good tires. Don't wanna slip on ice and mess up ur IS.

------------------
Spectra Blue IS300

·
Registered
537 Posts
paulwu:

Check out this recent thread on the topic:

What kind of rims to get?

Rob

------------------
2001 IS300
Spectra Blue Mica/Ivory
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17" wheels
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
4.7L, QuadraDrive, UpCountry
Patriot Blue, Fully loaded

·
Registered
201 Posts
Originally posted by cardinal_creek:
Or get cheap 16"s with Blizzaks (specially designed for snow).

That way the sweet 17" stock rims stay nice and cozy in your garage away from MA salt!
I'll second this suggestion. We've been doing this for years. A set of good winter tires will always be better than "3 seasons" tires.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good Stuff Everyone. Thanks.

Has anyone just replaced some all season tires on the stock 17" wheels?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
paulwu
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing