Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope Lexus is aware of this:
Global warming comes from higher output of greenhouse gases than the environment (plants/trees etc) can ingest, we produce CO2 (the most common greenhouse gas) and plants/trees will grow to consume the higher amount. If too much CO2 is produced too quickly, nature cannot adapt quickly enough to compensate, and we get global warming as the gases trap heat in the atmosphere. Take a trip to the Maldives to see the decimated coral reefs if you think global warming is a hoax.
Cars that rely on combustion produce CO2 as a byproduct of combustion, there's no way around this. The worse the gas mileage, the more greenhouse gases the car produces. That's why Lexus should be ashamed of themselves for producing a car with 17/23 mpg, that sucks, and I can't in good conscience buy a car with that low gas mileage, especially when a BMW 330i has more power and get 21/30 mpg.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
That's why Lexus should be ashamed of themselves for producing a car with 17/23 mpg, that sucks, and I can't in good conscience buy a car with that low gas mileage, especially when a BMW 330i has more power and get 21/30 mpg.
BTW, did you know that Toyota will begin selling the Prius, a hybrid gasoline/electric vehicle this year that will get up to 60-some mpg? And also, did you know that in Japan, Toyota has grown a small forest filled with genetically engineered trees that consume more CO2 and output more O2 than normal?

·
Registered
571 Posts
hella better buying an IS rather than some Ford excrapsion or some yukon SUV going .5 miles/gal...now those cars are dangerous, ugly, road-cracking, atmosphere-polluting, anti-handling pieces of $hit.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
i love my IS... but there is a point to this... and there is a solution...
volvo's now come complete with a system that takes CO2 and converts it to O2... if this
system could be implemented... and i'm sure
will be in the near future... to all cars...
we will all benefit... but until then ...
long live the drivers!

------------------
Marlon
IS300 (white)
loaded w/o LSD

·
Registered
323 Posts
so now we have people who wont buy this car because of gas mileage? geezus... some people think of the darnest things.. why dont you complain to the lamborghini people?

mike

·
Registered
511 Posts
I really don't give a Sh*t about the greenhouse effect... i didnt create it i not gonna fix it. I will be dead and gone by the time this CO2 kills us all. Until then. I will be running my beautiful IS300 with headers and no CConverter - more power - more pollution. Dont fool yourself by thinkin BMW cares about the environment. Thats pretty naive on your part. They worship the almighty dollar! If you care so much go get a bicycle. Otherwise save your corny rationalizations.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
ckoli, are you aware that your beloved BMW was only a TLEV vehicle as of '99? I believe the IS is an LEV and probably the 330 is also an LEV. What gives? Are you making the assumption that the IS is burning less of its combustible fuel than a 330 simply because it gets worse, published mpg?

[This message has been edited by brad (edited September 06, 2000).]

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Hey douche bag...I am quick...quick enough to know that a long diatribe about the evil green house effect and how BMWs get 4-7 MPG better won't sway a bunch of people in a forum that is dedicated to the car that you have issues with... Get a bike, walk or just STFU.

[This message has been edited by Agent Smith (edited September 06, 2000).]

·
Registered
239 Posts
it's all part of the earth's destiny... to make a species that would destroy the world. u should know this Agent Smith, "the humans are a virus"

·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MD, that's not likely that Volvo's can convert CO2 to O2, that's a complex and expensive reaction to produce, basically impossible in a car.
Of course the IS300 is better than a lot of these stupid SUVs, but not much better.

Originally posted by MDaltezza:
i love my IS... but there is a point to this... and there is a solution...
volvo's now come complete with a system that takes CO2 and converts it to O2... if this
system could be implemented... and i'm sure
will be in the near future... to all cars...
we will all benefit... but until then ...
long live the drivers!

·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The TLEV vs LEV designations are for toxic gases like CO, not greenhouse gases, it's another issue. And I don't think BMW is any more environmentally conscious than Toyota (maybe less), I'm just saying the mileage is better so it produces less greenhouse gases.

Originally posted by brad:
ckoli, are you aware that your beloved BMW was only a TLEV vehicle as of '99? I believe the IS is an LEV and probably the 330 is also an LEV. What gives? Are you making the assumption that the IS is burning less of its combustible fuel than a 330 simply because it gets worse, published mpg?

·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad to see my tree-hugger post get some attention, I just wanted to open up a discussion that hasn't been covered here. Don't we all get tired of the endless posts about clear taillights and whether we like them or not?
Agent Smith, you seem a little agitated?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
heh.. i could be wrong.. it might be carbon monoxide (CO)... but i'm sure i heard that on a commercial somewhere... very recently in fact... who knows...

------------------
Marlon
IS300 (white)
loaded w/o LSD

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
I am. I'd rather read threads where people are fighting over the acceptability of Rice Mods. Gas mileage won't sway the people...it is the fundamental problem with an industrial society. Until they make an Electric car with non-poluting batteries that are rechargable forever that makes a sweet sound and hauls ass I don't think people will buy them. I don't even remember what the hell I am talking about but I just don't think MPG is gonna sway anyone away from the IS.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
24 Participants
ckolsen
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing