Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on getting a new car in the summer and have decided either the Lexus IS300 or the BMW 325ci. Both are similiar priced though... I currently drive a 98' VW Jetta K2 with some mods on it.

I haven't test drive the Is300 or 325ci yet, but I would like a car with similiar feel to my VW. I have driven serveral japanese cars, hondas mostly, and I don't like the feel of the steering wheel being too loose or light.

How does the IS300 compares to the 325ci performance wise and features.

Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Have you researched this forum yet? Plenty of flame wars have been started with this seemingly innocent inquiry. Get your hoses ready!

------------------
MAD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still researching the forum, at least I know it has some mods and great body kits for it now which is one thing I'm looking for.

Any specific problems about the car?

Gary

------------------

·
Registered
78 Posts
i guess u can get Cdn 55 000 on the ground for 323ci with sport pkg
my frind actually got a convertable 325ci w a cd changer ..on the ground price is below 60 000..
i m working in Scarborough Lexus Toyota As a co -op student.. i heard they are selling around 52 500- 54 800 on the ground price fully loaded...however ..bad news is they have over stocks is like 40 -50 of them at the back of the dealer may be u can get a better price if there any car in stocks that have ur favourite options

·
Registered
685 Posts
If it's not 330ci, then it doesn't worth a consideration. Get IS if you are thinking about IS or 325ci. This is pretty similar, actually, same topic as I posted in December. Well, 325ci is cool, with decent power, and good styling, BUT! it's not nice if you don't put options on it. Also IS has about 30 hp (correct me if I'm wrong. The number I remember is about a little more than 180hp and 170tq). You can get loaded IS cheaper than similarly equipped 325ci these days because IS's price had dropped due to its decreasing sales number. Also IS has more performance. And IS is not as played out as 3-series does. Well, if you really like german engineering, and perstige of BMW, then save some more money and go for 330. I wouldn't even look at 325ci over IS.

------------------
K.P. :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
VWboy I feel you. After driving an Audi and a non-power steering RX7 for years this steering feels way too light. I love the feel of my cuz's 87 M3 though. If I were you I'd go IS300... used BMW cars suck big time, unless you know for sure they were taken care of well. Why inherit someone elses problem? unless you want to? Bimmers are aight, but you cant beat the price deal on the new IS compared to new Bimmers

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
thedifference between the 330i and the 325i is not really that big. i seriously doubt that somenoe who doesn't even drive yet could tell the difference between the two. the only thing i have is that to get a bmw you pay to play, and the is300 is simply a much better deal, especially for the casual driver. people who think that the 325 is reallly not worth looking at when compared to a 330 should test the car and get off their high horse. you're paying the extra money for that little 330 badge instead of the 325. imo, its not worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I actually test drove a 325i (and a 528i) yesterday. I was REALLY impressed! I msut say they are really nice. The 325i i was lookin at was $36,535 with sport and premium packages, it was fully loaded, so im not sure its all that much mmore than the IS. I must say though you can get speed blind in those cars, i was going on 80 and didn't evern realize it...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rarjoon: I was referring to the new 2001 325ci. They changed the 323 to 325 and 328 to330 with a new engine.

Does all rwd handles similiar in the snow since I live in Toronto, Canada, it snows here and I know rwd have problems.

Gary

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yeah most RWD cars the 325 size will handle similar in the snow.. just have good winter tires and you'll be fine. Where in Toronto you from VW? My Little cuz used to run with alot of the Euro guys in Toronto, he had a Cabrio Rabbit VR6 transplant, Corrado G60, and now 87 M3.

·
11,061 Posts
As always, it's a matter of taste and the amount of cash available. Drive 'em both. Decide what you like better. Then total up the fiscal damage and figure in maintenance costs over the years you'll own it. THEN, if you really liked the BMW better, decide if it's really worth the extra money. I didn't think so...

·
Registered
27 Posts
My $0.02 worth:

* IS may be better value for the dollars.
* 325ci with stick may be more fun to drive than IS300 (auto). I am definitely biased to a manual tranny in these type of cars, so filter what I am saying here.
* 330 and 325 are not similar in driver feel (or performance). The 330 torque advantage, hp advantage, and growl is certainly felt when driving.
* Absolutely test drive both.
* 5 speed 325ci has similar performance numbers as auto IS.

It all depends on what you want. If you go with automatic transmission, the IS may be your car. They are both RWD, so the driving feel is probably different from your Jetta. Test drive them, and buy the one you like.

·
8,880 Posts
I totally agree on test driving both cars.
That's one of the things I did trying to decide between BMW and Lexus.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I compared the same two cars when i went shopping.
I opted for the IS cause after pricing all the options I wanted for the 325i it was more expensive than the IS, and at that time the IS was a better deal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rarjoon: I'm in the Markham area. I haven't been out with any of the VW clubs in my area cause everytime it's on a sunday and I always have somethign to do.

My parents drive a Benz E-430 and I have driven it a few times in the winter and didn't have much problems with it maybe it's a bigger car.

I'm leaning towards the IS300 because of the cheaper mods than BMW since BMW have $$$ mods and bodykits. Well, I will test drive both in the next week or so.

How does the IS300 fights up against Type-R's, civic SIRs (Si inthe USA).

Gary

·
Registered
571 Posts
wait for the manual IS300.

I've driven a 323, 325 and have a 330Ci on order. I did not like the 323....not enough power and my GSR has more character. IMO, there is a difference between the 330 and 325 (maybe physcological, since I know it's the top of the line)..driving feel, performance, engine roar, and I think if you are planning on a BMW, save up and go for the 330. Heck, 0-60 in 6.1 sec. is pretty darn good.

Otherwise, a manual IS300 should be a lot more fun than the 325.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts