Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tonight I raced my friends boyfriend's WRX twice, both from a dig. He has some ECU chip or something for his WRX thats supposed to add a decent amount of power, who knows.

Anyway, both times we raced him, I got him right off the line. He doesn't know how to launch obviously because with AWD he should be smoking me off the line, no questions asked.

Right off the line I gained about a 1/2 car, and then from 0-80 MPH twice he stayed around 3/4 of a car behind me. Then from 80-120 MPH both times we raced I started to gain more. Our cars are definitely highway monsters. 3rd and 4th gear IMO are our strongest gears, hands down.

BTW, my only mods are an ACT HDSS clutch and HKS Drager exhaust.

Based on the specifications he should have smoked me, honestly. I have subs in the trunk and 18's, he has none of that. His car is 3,085 lbs. and has 227 HP with 217 lbs. torque. Amazing what a difference drivers make.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Not bad at all. I've raced my buddies wrx a couple of times on the freeway, and we stayed dead even... i almost started to pull on him at around 125. He has chip/dp/exhaust, and I have heavy 19's and a full setup in the trunk.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Couple of nights ago, my friend Danny and I were fooling around with two WRX's. Spotted a silver one on Crenshaw going towards Hawthorne coming from Palos Verdes. Silver one looked stock to me. Second, right turn on Torrance Boulevard to Madrona, a black one arrived right behind me, and my friend Danny pulled up right beside me. Black one just took off and Danny went after it. Yea, that night was fun..

Edit:
The Black one had a loud ass blow off valve.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
i ran my friends old Wrx that was putting out 290rwhp vs my m3(4 ppl in the car) on the freeway. we ran from 70mph and i would get the jump on him but when teh turbo kicks in he would gain on me fast!! AHhhhhhhhhh!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not surprised at all that our cars are very strong in 3rd and 4th gear. My last trip up to knoxville I ran a Wrx from 80 up to 120 for a good 3 to 5 miles and I was able to keep up. But racing from a dig is another story though...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Way to rep the IS. Props for making an unfair race a good one.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
IMO a stock 5speed IS vs. stock WRX....the IS will win both from a dig and from a roll....they are way to underpowered for having awd.....from what ive read ,the wrx puts down 160ish to the wheel(awd robbing most of the hp) and the mtx is300 puts down similiar if not more whp....from teh line ..yea ..the subby gets the jump...but mtx is300 will quickly reel him down...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
dadasups1 said:
IMO a stock 5speed IS vs. stock WRX....the IS will win both from a dig and from a roll....they are way to underpowered for having awd.....from what ive read ,the wrx puts down 160ish to the wheel(awd robbing most of the hp) and the mtx is300 puts down similiar if not more whp....from teh line ..yea ..the subby gets the jump...but mtx is300 will quickly reel him down...
Interesting. I've only run modded WRXs and I've been spanked every time. Around here, there's no such thing as a stock WRX...every last one is modded. If I find a stock one, the driver probably won't give two sh*ts about racing anyway. I suppose I'll get a chance to test one someday.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
IZZY RICH said:
Interesting. I've only run modded WRXs and I've been spanked every time. Around here, there's no such thing as a stock WRX...every last one is modded. If I find a stock one, the driver probably won't give two sh*ts about racing anyway. I suppose I'll get a chance to test one someday.
same, i get spanked haha.

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
dadasups1 said:
think about power to weight and also the AWD advantage froma dig.

·
Registered
6 Posts
b4 my wrx died, :( i raced a friend of mine with an IS....from a launch i killed him, and ended up taking him by like 3 1/2 to 4 cars....from what people tell me, i didnt look back. When we raced from 40 mph it was dead even though.

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
exactimo^^^^^

the wrx pulls crazy 0-60 times but when its down to the 1/4 mile, they put down around 14.8 sec.

its all in the AWD launch that helps it put down the 0-60 times. on the highway they are sluggish.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
well not exactly^^^^ car and driver tested these cars when they first came out....the "official" 0-60 time was...5.9 seconds....not bad...but what the failed to mention was they launched from 5500k rpms......so yea its 0-60 is under 6 seconds....but how long do u think there tranny is gonna hold up from insane launches like that....i say there more like a 6.5 1/4 tim care..compared to a rsxS or something to that extent....

·
Registered
6 Posts
The tranny thing is true....but i had no problems with it and i beat the shit out of my wrx and always launched it at 5k i know it would have given' out on me eventually. I had 58k miles on mine, but then again i know people that have gone through 2 tranny's already.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
yea, my friend has a 04 blew his tranny already from high rpm launches.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts