Lexus IS Forum banner
121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I’ve replaced the oil sender with another and now it seems to have dropped and is going up and down around the mid range. But before it was always on high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Do you have a Dakota Digital or similar “translator” box between the cluster and sender? That cluster is from a 3SGE powered car, so I’d think it would read high as it’s not calibrated for a 2JZ. I’ve never done the Altezza cluster but I know it’s a thang for the rpm’s reading to be off, so I’d advise reading about the oil psi gauge as well - it may help point to the right direction.

Do you have a separate oil psi sensor for your Haltech? If so, what’s it reading? If you don’t, I highly recommend getting one. Also advise getting a fuel pressure sensor. You can engage failsafe scenarios on the Haltech to prevent damage. Plus add in a CanBus gauge because why not.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Do you have a Dakota Digital or similar “translator” box between the cluster and sender? That cluster is from a 3SGE powered car, so I’d think it would read high as it’s not calibrated for a 2JZ. I’ve never done the Altezza cluster but I know it’s a thang for the rpm’s reading to be off, so I’d advise reading about the oil psi gauge as well - it may help point to the right direction.
Pressure is pressure, number of cylinders is irrelevant. Pressure is good then oil is going places it should, pressure is bad then knock knock knock on random cylinder. What you do need to make sure is what the calibration is for the gauge and sensor. Mid way means nothing on a gauge with no numbers and not calibrated to the sensor output.... maybe that's what you are meaning about the engine?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Pressure is pressure
It is, but not all senders and receivers are the same. If he’s got a 2JZ sender and a 3S “receiver” then like you said, the calibration is off. Just like acceptable oil psi on a 3S is different than a 2J or an LS.

What I was saying about the 4cyl vs 6cyl. Here in the States, guys would swap to an Altezza cluster but their rpm would be off since they’re using a 4 cyl cluster in a 6cyl car. So there’s companies out there like Dakota Digital that make translator boxes for people that like to do weird swaps. I’ve never done it, so I don’t know if such a beast exists for the oil psi gauge. I’d get a CanBus like PerfectTuning or BTI or GaugeArt and call it good. But he really needs to have an dedicated oil psi sensor hooked to his Haltech. Makes no sense to have the safety capability and not use it - especially with how meticulous this build is.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 · (Edited)
Edit:

I didnt use a Dakota box as the tuner wired in the cluster into haltech for correct Tacho reading. As for reading between 2J and SG3 I wasn’t aware. I’m using a Lexus LX470 oil pressure sender as according to this video, I have the Dakota but since the Tacho is wired in with haltech there is no need for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I’m not sure then. I have not done an Altezza cluster swap myself so I didn’t know if there was a translator needed for the oil pressure…similar to how one is needed for the tach. The video doesn’t imply one is necessary, just a specific oil psi sensing unit.

The thing I would add is an oil psi sensor to the Haltech. Something like this. You can set a failsafe for if you lose oil psi, it will shut down the engine or limit the rpm’s. Same thing for fuel psi. AEM Infinity can use fuel psi data to calculate injector duty, I am sure the Haltech can as well. Just some extra failsafes that don’t cost much.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Here's the connector (though it's backordered, currently)

And the female terminals for pinning the connector housing:

Aptiv also makes a nice little rubber boot to integrate the connector into the harness, but I can't find it anywhere. I think they're out of stock everywhere.

·
Registered
2001 AR5 Swap, Built NA-T, Standalone
573 Posts
With MPX stuff, who knows. The accuracy of the fuel gauge is dependent on so many variables, who knows what the oil pressure one needs too. I hope the oil level sensor solves the problem for you.

121 - 140 of 168 Posts