Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although the cars are anything but in the same class, I wonder how any of you convertible lovers would choose between the three. I'm considering getting a '98 pre-owned slk-230 for about the same cost as a new IS300, or partially used S2000 for about the same price. No traction control on the S2000 is a fear since I live in the midwest. I've also heard rumors that the SLK has no cruise control. That seems a bit rediculous. Certainly the most practical car would be the IS3, but there's something about the SLK's hard-top transformation and the blinding (albeit---HIGH-revving) speed of the S2000 that lures me to impracticality. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am very much a convertible lover... and I like all the cars you mentioned too especially the S2000... but lemme tell ya- after I test drive the IS300 I was sold. Have you driven it yet? That's all it took for me. I liked the IS3 before driving it, but now I love it and I'm trying my damndest to save for one (I'm 19 and out on my own and pretty successful but it IS a big purchase!) - Good luck

------------------
I want mine in Spectra Blue Mica!

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by SonicXracer:
I am very much a convertible lover... and I like all the cars you mentioned too especially the S2000... but lemme tell ya- after I test drive the IS300 I was sold. Have you driven it yet? That's all it took for me. I liked the IS3 before driving it, but now I love it and I'm trying my damndest to save for one (I'm 19 and out on my own and pretty successful but it IS a big purchase!) - Good luck

Sonic,

I have driven the IS3, a couple times. It's handles wonderfully... and is surely pleasing aesthetically! But being single I don't know that I'd ever use the back seat, at least in the next few years. I think possibly the SLK or S2000 could be more fun. I've not yet driven the SLK, but the S2000 is a blast. What does anyone else think? Also, sonic, what line of work are you in to be doing so well at 19? I'm 27 and will have to stretch my dollars to get a new car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Michael. . .

You said you were single? Then it should be real simple. 5 seats = you + four women!! That should give you plenty of things to use the back seat for!!!!

It would be enough to sell me. . .

------------------
Perception IS Reality

·
Registered
262 Posts
The SLK is a joke. Go drive one and then you'll agree. The engine sounds and accelerates like a lawnmower.

If you want to have pure, unadulterated fun, go with the S2000. The brakes, shifter action, and steering are amazing. Also, when the vtec transition occurs at 6K RPM, the aural and sensory feelings you experience are out of this world! Just make sure you keep an out eye for oversteer (a serious problem when making quick maneuvers with this car).

·
Registered
63 Posts
the S2K.... I smile just thinking about it...

oversteer is a bit of a problem to be aware of. but if you're the type who likes speed and enjoys the pure "fun" factor of driving, the automagic IS300 just might not do it for you. that was my problem... sold my IS a week ago, but of course kept the S2K. couldn't pay me enough to get rid of that car!

Annie
Y2K S2K

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have just turned in my '98 SLK at the end of its three year lease. Although a couple of "posters" before me don't seem to think much of the SLK, I would disagree.
It was my everyday driver for the past 36 months here in Los Angeles (where the top can be down 95% of the time!) and I enjoyed every minute of it.
I was originally thinking of replacing my SLK with a CLK, but after I test drove the IS300, I bought one.
There is really no comparison between the SLK and the IS, but here are some things to consider:
• the IS is much faster
• the IS is much more comfortable
• the IS has a lot more standard equipment
• the IS has a useable trunk
• the SLK is much smaller
• the SLK is both a great coupe and a great convertible
• the SLK gets better mileage, slightly
If you've never had a convertible, then I would seriously consider the SLK. If you live in a winter-weather state, I would pass on the SLK and get the IS, with the optional 16-inch tires & wheels...the low profile 17"ers will be useless in snow.
I enjoyed the SLK and I am loving the IS300. They are actually both fine cars, but very different in design and purpose.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you want an SLK and want performance to go with it, look into the SLK320. I drove one and trust me, its a big change.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
97 Ford Explorer Limited

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by viggen:
The SLK is a joke. Go drive one and then you'll agree. The engine sounds and accelerates like a lawnmower.

If you want to have pure, unadulterated fun, go with the S2000. The brakes, shifter action, and steering are amazing. Also, when the vtec transition occurs at 6K RPM, the aural and sensory feelings you experience are out of this world! Just make sure you keep an out eye for oversteer (a serious problem when making quick maneuvers with this car).
The S2000 is definitely the best performing convertible--for the money! I'm curious if the lack of traction control or limited slip--even while driving cautiously, would kill me in slick conditions, I'd probably need to drive the vehicle year round, and would put snow tires on it, but I wonder how much better the SLK might be during those wintry months with it's Automatic Slip resistance?? What do you think? Also, LEADER, thanks for the comparisons between the IS3 and SLK. Good points, I just can't stop appreciating the technological wizzardry in the hard top convertible! I can only imagine how beautiful the new Lex SC will be!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I had the exact same debate as you. S2000 was my first choice, but when i heard there are no car to test drive and the dealer will not sell the car without the $4000 premium, I just waive goodbye to that (very painful). Then I went to test drive the SLK. Nice car, decent power, but you have no rear visibility whatsoever when the top is up. And the steering is so light it just isn't comfortable.
Then comes the IS300, a car that I being telling my parents that I would not buy (never say never). I went to test drive it just for the heck of it, because I was pretty much decided on the 323ci w/ NAV. It took a few minutes to get used to the car, especially the gauge and the drivetrain, but once that's over, it was fun, really fun. I had a smile in my face on the way back to the dealer, and I almost wanted to pick up the car that day. I came back the next week to get the car.
If you can, test drive all three cars, and whichever make you want to buy it when you are test driving, then that is your car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an S2000 and think it is an amazing car. Handling is incredible and making that engine sing all the way to 9000 rpms with one of the best shifters in any car is a blast. I wouldn't want to have it as my only car however. The IS would be a much more practical choice. The S2000 is very loud and has minimal storage space. It makes a great second car and is in a performance league well above the SLK. Also, it is the only car available in a 6 speed unless you get a new SLK320.

·
Registered
172 Posts
"I'm curious if the lack of traction control or limited slip--even while driving cautiously, would kill me in slick conditions"

Michael,

Not meant to pick on you, but I believe the S2000 does have Torsen LSD. How helpful it will be in the snow is another story.

I can't agree more on the SLK hardtop -- it's a wonder in itself.
I'd seriously considered the SLK at one time until I test drove it.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I almost got the SLK230 because they were going to sell the limited edition (w/ cell phone and sports package) for $42K and change. Extremely good deal. I didn't because I can't justified spending that much money just to show off the hardtop (admit it, that's what most people want in this car).
And the SLK320 costs about $50k when you add option to it.
I said you can narrow your choices down to S2000 and IS, but if you are going to drive this daily in snow, then I said definitely don't think of S2000 for now.

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by S4:
I have an S2000 and think it is an amazing car. Handling is incredible and making that engine sing all the way to 9000 rpms with one of the best shifters in any car is a blast. I wouldn't want to have it as my only car however. The IS would be a much more practical choice. The S2000 is very loud and has minimal storage space. It makes a great second car and is in a performance league well above the SLK. Also, it is the only car available in a 6 speed unless you get a new SLK320.
So to someone who owns an S2000, first off, does it actually have torsen lsd? And if so, do you think it would make any difference at low speeds, while driving through some occasional snow and ice in the midwest? What, if any are your gripes about the car? Would you have ever considered a 98 pre-owned SLK instead of your S2000 9krpm delight?

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Daniel:
I almost got the SLK230 because they were going to sell the limited edition (w/ cell phone and sports package) for $42K and change. Extremely good deal. I didn't because I can't justified spending that much money just to show off the hardtop (admit it, that's what most people want in this car).
And the SLK320 costs about $50k when you add option to it.
I said you can narrow your choices down to S2000 and IS, but if you are going to drive this daily in snow, then I said definitely don't think of S2000 for now.
Wow, $42K for a 2001 SLK Limited? That is a deal? Where and how were you gonna lock that down? At any rate 42 grand is still about $10-K more than I hope to finance for my next car. Yeah the hardtop is essentially what you're paying for in the SLK along with the benz name I suppose. But is is pretty amazing.
Practically speaking I should go with the IS3 for the best year round car IF i put 16 inch snow tires on it during the winter, but I like the car SO much better with the 17 inch wheels, I don't know if it's worth getting the IS3 with 16's. I figure with the SLK or S2000, I could save the 16 inch rims and just swap the tread... Perhaps?

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Daniel:
I had the exact same debate as you. S2000 was my first choice, but when i heard there are no car to test drive and the dealer will not sell the car without the $4000 premium, I just waive goodbye to that (very painful). Then I went to test drive the SLK. Nice car, decent power, but you have no rear visibility whatsoever when the top is up. And the steering is so light it just isn't comfortable.
Then comes the IS300, a car that I being telling my parents that I would not buy (never say never). I went to test drive it just for the heck of it, because I was pretty much decided on the 323ci w/ NAV. It took a few minutes to get used to the car, especially the gauge and the drivetrain, but once that's over, it was fun, really fun. I had a smile in my face on the way back to the dealer, and I almost wanted to pick up the car that day. I came back the next week to get the car.
If you can, test drive all three cars, and whichever make you want to buy it when you are test driving, then that is your car.
Daniel, Thanks for the advice. Problem is I've been using the smile-factor on all cars. Each car was amazing it it's own way. The SLK is hardly fast, but the IS3 isn't blindingly quick either. The S2000 is very quick, with plenty of revving-of course. There are several pre-owned S2000's with just a few thousand miles on them. Many are goine for about 31 or 32 thousand dollars--fyi.

I know I'd enjoy any of the cars. Just can't quite narrow them down at this point. I suppose in the end I'll need to be practical and get the IS3 with 16 inch snow tires, since I live here in the frigid midwest. But I hate to give-up the convertible option for those few days when the termperature permits.

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Benster:
"I'm curious if the lack of traction control or limited slip--even while driving cautiously, would kill me in slick conditions"

Michael,

Not meant to pick on you, but I believe the S2000 does have Torsen LSD. How helpful it will be in the snow is another story.

I can't agree more on the SLK hardtop -- it's a wonder in itself.
I'd seriously considered the SLK at one time until I test drove it.

Didn't realize the S2000 had LSD, but you're right, I'm not sure wethere that's intended for traction on slick roads as much as it is intended for high-speed traction?

What were your biggest turnoffs about the SLK? Do you have any gripes about the S2000 or IS3?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
About this Discussion
85 Replies
28 Participants
Altezzer
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing