Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Great community that is going on here. In my search for more information for the 250/350, I'm learning a ton about the 300 as well.

I'm a little torn-up between getting a 250 or 350. Financially, I can handle either one (w/ it obviously being easier to finance the 250). But I'm having trouble justifying to myself that paying 7.5k$ - 10k$ is worth the extra 100 HP in the 350. Are there any other extra features/performance you get for the 350 that helps justify the significant price increase over a 250?

I've tried finding threads that addressed this pricing issue, but no dice. The only thing that I can come up with the 350 vs the 250 is the extra 100HP, VDIM (if that's even a +...).

Any feedback or info is appreciated.

peace
Tryponite

·
Registered
323 Posts
350 is only automatic... if you care.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
If you can afford the 350... get it. It will have much more "toys" and electronic gadgets than the IS250. But the IS250 would probably make a great commuter car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crester said:
If you can afford the 350... get it. It will have much more "toys" and electronic gadgets than the IS250. But the IS250 would probably make a great commuter car.
Thanks for the feedback - but perhaps you could expand or clarify on what you mean by much more "toys" and electronic gadgets. With regards to the available information at this time, those type of options seem to be similar on both vehicles. Extra "toys" and gadgets seems to be more of a matter of which additional package you buy for the vehicle.

peace
Tryp

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Yeah crester, what kind of electronic goodies are going to be in the 350 but not the 250, besides VDIM?

BTW, VDIM sounds much better than the VSC+Trac that you'll get in the 250, as many people here can attest to. (I have a manual, so I don't have VSC ;) ) Although, I still wish VDIM would have an off switch.

Other differences: Someone already mentioned the 350 is auto only. Its also RWD only. If you really want AWD, you need to get a 250. 250 will get better gas milage as well.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
IS JOE said:
Yeah crester, what kind of electronic goodies are going to be in the 350 but not the 250, besides VDIM?

BTW, VDIM sounds much better than the VSC+Trac that you'll get in the 250, as many people here can attest to. (I have a manual, so I don't have VSC ;) ) Although, I still wish VDIM would have an off switch.

Other differences: Someone already mentioned the 350 is auto only. Its also RWD only. If you really want AWD, you need to get a 250. 250 will get better gas milage as well.
Don't quote me on this but I believe...

- the IS250 has direct injection... while the IS350 has direct injection plus regular port injection to allow for better fuel economy and power at all revs

- the IS350 comes with VDIM while the IS250 only has VSC

- the IS250 comes with 205/55/16 tires... while the IS350 comes with meaty 245/45/17 tires on the rear... and 225/45/17 tires on the front

- the IS350 is available with wood trim

- the IS350 has the heated and ventilated seats

·
Registered
90 Posts
The reason why I'm gettin a IS250 is because it has an AWD version.

Otherwise, I'll get the 350 to "kick'some'azz"....lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ska said:
The reason why I'm gettin a IS250 is because it has an AWD version.

Otherwise, I'll get the 350 to "kick'some'azz"....lol
I'm thinking the AWD model as well right now. My only concern with the AWD model is that I remember reading somewhere that it only comes with 17' rims. Doesn't matter really, as I plan to get aftermarket rims unless Lexus provides some really sexy rims in North America.

The info may not be up to date but Lexus.ca is offering these rims as part of the extras: 18' G-Spyder (price w/o tires $1635 CDN)

I don't think those are half bad as I kind of like the mesh design, but I'm sure there's much better out there.

peace

·
Registered
656 Posts
I thought you could still get the ventilated/heated seats on the 250. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the 350 actually has many more electronic gadgets. The VDIM vs. VSC is true, and the injection is probably true. Me, I would go with the 250, but I can't really afford either one right now, so that changes things. I personally wouldn't pay that much more for 100 hp because I don't know any situation where having 300 hp+ is going to really be used to the limit very often. I rarely get to really get my IS 300 cranking as it is, and I'm plenty pleased with its power. You can still get the Mark Levinson stereo in the 250, etc. I think 300+ hp is overkill, personally. If you are a driving enthusiast, great, but I think Tryptonite might be a more relaxed driver who just wants a good car. Just because he can afford the 350 doesn't mean he should get it. That is a big price difference. Even people with money are money conscious sometimes. Tryp, drive them both when they come out, compare the differences, and then make your decision, because you are going to get about 100 different opinions on this forum, which is great, don't get me wrong, but no one else can tell you how to spend your money.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
To add to the list, the 350 sports larger brakes than the 250.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cryostate said:
I thought you could still get the ventilated/heated seats on the 250. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the 350 actually has many more electronic gadgets. The VDIM vs. VSC is true, and the injection is probably true. Me, I would go with the 250, but I can't really afford either one right now, so that changes things. I personally wouldn't pay that much more for 100 hp because I don't know any situation where having 300 hp+ is going to really be used to the limit very often. I rarely get to really get my IS 300 cranking as it is, and I'm plenty pleased with its power. You can still get the Mark Levinson stereo in the 250, etc. I think 300+ hp is overkill, personally. If you are a driving enthusiast, great, but I think Tryptonite might be a more relaxed driver who just wants a good car. Just because he can afford the 350 doesn't mean he should get it. That is a big price difference. Even people with money are money conscious sometimes. Tryp, drive them both when they come out, compare the differences, and then make your decision, because you are going to get about 100 different opinions on this forum, which is great, don't get me wrong, but no one else can tell you how to spend your money.
Hey Cryostate

Thanks for the well thought out feedback. Much appreciated. I will test drive both, but now leaning towards a 250 w/ all the trimmings.
I'm past my Fast and Furious stage in life and just want to cruise now.

peace
Tryptonite

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Tryptonite... well if you don't think you'll enjoy the 350... then atleast you can look forward to saving gas with the 2.5L V6. I'm still in my 20's... and thus I think I would love the kick of the 3.5L V6. But I got my IS300 fairly recently and won't be buying a car for a while. I couldn't even afford an IS350 if I wanted one! Well I guess I could... but I might need to stop eating a couple days of the month. :lol:

To be honest though... even though people keep saying the IS300 is slow... it's plenty fast for me. It's faster than my old car and handles much better. Plus... it flies past 160 km/h without any effort at all! How much more speed do I need?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts