Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2006 IS250 and my brake pads are almost worn out. I'm looking for replacement pads that can give the same or better performance than the original ones, but without the HUGE! amount of DUST than the original ones create.

I tried to find Ferrodo pads but they are not available for Lexus. I found the following ones, but not sure how they will perform. Have anyone tested the following brake pads: :confused:

Option A:
---------
(front) HAWK HPS BRAKE PADS $86/set
(rear) HAWK HPS BRAKE PADS $57/set

Option B:
---------
(front) HAWK HP PLUS BRAKE PADS $121/set
(rear) HAWK HP PLUS BRAKE PADS $79/set

Option C: (Speedy Car Parts - Catalog - 2006 Lexus IS250 Brake Pad Set)
---------
(front) EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads $83.30/set
(rear) EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads $55.22/set

Option D: (Speedy Car Parts - Catalog - 2006 Lexus IS250 Brake Pad Set)
---------
(front) EBC Redstuff Brake Pads $130.10/set
(rear) EBC Redstuff Brake Pads $64.58/set

I heard that Lexus has some new brake pads that do not create too much dust, but I don't know if this is true. Any news? Part Numbers? Any recommendation as to which brake pads should I buy? :confused:

Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've used the EBC green pads/stock rotors on several cars, and have been really happy with the performance. Very low dust with nice initial bite.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
call up your dealer and say your brakes have excessive dust and you've heard there is a TSIB to replace the pads, and you'd like to have that done.

Bingo- free replacement pads without the dust.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your replies and inputs! :) I'm new to the forum and was amazed with the fast responses. Once again, Thanks!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, no matter what you do, don't go w/ the Hawk HP+ because those are designed with a lot of dust since they're the more abrasive compared to the Hawk HPS. If anything I'd stick with the HPS, I had them on my previous car and they had great bite, w/ minimal dust.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is why I enjoy being a member of this forum. I've been searching for ceramic pads for my IS250 since the day I bought it. No luck finding pads yet. Now I find out the dealer will replace them under warranty. You think the dealer would have said anything if I asked?

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had the new front pads installed by the dealer yesterday. They replaced them at no charge and did a free oil change for the inconvenience. The car still has that "bite" when braking. Nothing seems to have been sacrificed as far as braking with the new, lower dusting pads. I'm going to wash it today since they didn't do it. We'll see how the brake dust is now...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I went with the EBC Red's...sure,I've only got a 250, but in SoFla, you never know when some I_iot is going to jam in in front of you, and THEN decide he didn't have enough space after all, and he has to hit his brakes....which means YOURS better be up to the test.

Just waiting for the new Drill/Slot rotors to arrive.....shazam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i printed out the TSIB report that Jekyl provided and took it to my local socal dealer. i have also been having problems with my 2006 is250awd brake dust. the service advisor stated that they need to check the serial number on the brake pad to make sure that i can get my brakes replaced under warranty. he stated that there are 4-5 different pads used for the 05 is250 model and that only one of them is covered under the TSIB. it costs $49.99 just to check if the brake pad is the correct one. that seems pretty steep just to check. i dont want to waste $50 so is there a way to verify that i have a brake pad that is covered under this warranty? if not, i'd rather just go to my local body shop and get my brakes replaced by them. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
i printed out the TSIB report that Jekyl provided and took it to my local socal dealer. i have also been having problems with my 2006 is250awd brake dust. the service advisor stated that they need to check the serial number on the brake pad to make sure that i can get my brakes replaced under warranty. he stated that there are 4-5 different pads used for the 05 is250 model and that only one of them is covered under the TSIB. it costs $49.99 just to check if the brake pad is the correct one. that seems pretty steep just to check. i dont want to waste $50 so is there a way to verify that i have a brake pad that is covered under this warranty? if not, i'd rather just go to my local body shop and get my brakes replaced by them. thanks in advance.
Your dealer is full of crap. The brake dust TSIB applies to ANY 06 that hasn't already had it done and is still under factory warranty. For free.

Take it to a less crappy dealership.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just mention to the dealer that you're going to call the Lexus customer service assistance center to ask what is the Lexus policy on dealers charging you $50 to check if you need warranty service.

If the dealer is stupid enough to call your bluff, go ahead and call. Just look up the number on the Lexus web site. I expect they will help set the dealer straight and you will get the TSB done with no more hassle and with no $50 charge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for all your help. ive been calling all the the local lexus dealers, and they've all been saying that i need to bring the car in so they can "determine what is causing the excess brake dust." if it is the brakes, then they'll see if its covered by warranty. where else would brake dust come from??

ill try to use the strategies recommended. hopefully everything works out. thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts