Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TS has a IS250 in the stable now, 2006 with over 80K on the clock. Come to find out about all this Direct Injection carbon buildup :egads:. Luckily the car has already had the TSB fix of new pistons and rings, but we all know that is a band aid, reducing blow-by, but not completely stopping the problem. With the engine supposedly re-freshed but caking up with every drive. TokenSolutions can't stand for that! A bolt-on fix was in order.

Installed the first TokenSolutions fully bolt-on IS250 catch can kit to "filter" or catch the PCV vapors that otherwise deposit and cake up on the intake valves.

Tools required:
Socket wrench with extension
10mm (for bracket mounting point), 7/16 (for can to bracket nuts/bolts) and 7mm (for hose clamps) sockets
7/16th open wrench (counter torque can to bracket nuts/bolts)

WD40 assists with inserting hoses into barbs.

Layed it out on the drive way, minus the drain kit.

Hooked up the can's intake port to the crank case barb on the driver's side cam cover, and the can's output port to the crank case vent system's intake hose, and the can bolts on via a provided bracket behind the fans. Put the engine cover back on, looks like stock.

Super easy to install. Will have drain pics a thousand miles from now or so, but here is what the same type can caught from my daily driver tacoma truck in a few thousand miles

All gunk that would cake up on DI intake vales. I put these cans on non-DI engines as the same 'gunk' gunks up throttle bodies, intake manifolds and such.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
This looks to be a well-thought out solution to the question a lot of people are avoiding.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First 6 to use this code get $10.00 off
OO9FZBOI9N9O

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a bit more detail when installing the catch can.

There is a vacuum line that goes to the intake manifold (Lexus now calls it the surge tank), it plugs into the manifold behind the throttle body. That line then goes to the rear driver's side valve cover and goes into a barb/bung. That area is in the flash lights beam of light in this picture

It is also pictured here with an arrow to it

You pull that line off and insert the provided white barb union fitting from the kit to that OE line, and one of the kit provided 3ft line to the other end as pictured.

Insert the other provided 3ft line to the know available OE barb on the valve cover. Use hose clamps for all connections.

The line that is now coming from the valve cover barb goes to the top of the catch can. The line going into the OE line that then goes into the intake manifold comes out of the lower catch can barb.

The catch can bolts into a bolt location on the coolant tank, in it's driver side (port for you Navy folks). It is under the radiator tube picture below, with red arrow directing you towards it. Use the extended bolt and washer provided in the kit to fasten the bracket, the OE bolt becomes un-used.

The additional drain extension kit is an optional install and upon the end user to find what they consider the best suited means of installation.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More pictures from another IS250 (awd) install:

Very easy, fast and un-intrussive install, with optimal can placement (cooling air flow at all times). IMO to me this isn't a ricer "just to have something more to list, something more to put on during the weekend" mod. Its a must, or this follows:

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All ClubLexus forum goers, I cannot post helpful information or support there due to not being a vendor, so take all of your questions and content here please.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This doesn't seem too hard, I might actually be able to do this myself. What's the drain interval of the catch can? I do oil changes every 15k km with an oil filter change at 7k.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I drain the can at every oil change which for me is 5K, you can get away with every 7K IMO.

·
Super Moderator
9,814 Posts
Great idea and I had similar idea thinking about my sister-in-laws is250 ...
Was recently covered by Lexus for Carbon problem..

I had a conversation with my brother - in-law who's a mechanical engineer about such a set up and he brought a good point up..
For customers who may see colder temps about the canister freezing up, He has spent 6 years designing breather systems and everytime you remote mount them like that, especially in the fan blast the moisture from the blow-by will freeze up and block the flow raising the crankcase pressure.. Typically what happens is you will blow out the dipstick out and spray oil everywhere... Hes actually dealing with that same issue now at work! Good idea though! Will probably just need to wrap it up in insulation...

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have never heard of catch cans completely closing up via frost build-up. I saw it in the other way, the fan blast area provides a really good control- does not let it heat soak greatly, and in the winter it gets warmer than ambient air from the radiator. If it freezes over, then extreme weather catch can installs of all types need to be placed in an area that gets a lot of the engine heat, but them IMO in warm weather the can may have reduced efficiency at catching as the vapors are very hot, atomized and hard to collect.

I had an EE w/ Masters ask me some things about TS products at work. Its really upping my game working at an OEM and learning a lot about their testing and environmental (stress) testing. Its always good to have constant inputs.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just picked up a 2006 with 145K on the clock. I just seafoamed and added some lucas injector treatment. This is my next project, just waiting for the website to be up again...

·
Registered
3 Posts
You would think that in 2006 , the internal combustion engine would somewhat be mastered to not endure such sad quality control such as letting carbon build up. SMH in that regard. As a new owner of a IS250 which is the 2006 year I am worried. Would a fuel injector cleaner get rid of this carbon?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You would think that in 2006 , the internal combustion engine would somewhat be mastered to not endure such sad quality control such as letting carbon build up. SMH in that regard. As a new owner of a IS250 which is the 2006 year I am worried. Would a fuel injector cleaner get rid of this carbon?
My friend my car is 2007 Lexus IS250 AWD here, same production line as yours, why you worry ? my car never had any TSB recall piston or valve replace nothing, all STOCK from JAPAN it has been driven for 10 years, the previous owner didn't even bring to Dealer for ton of recalls, guess what the still drive like new.

you know our car required Premium Gasoline right ? use fuel injection bottle once awhile, i know fuel won't spray on intake valve but at least it cleans the piston head, use synthetic engine oil, clean our Throttle body once a year along with MAF sensor, and ya ofcourse INSTALL AN OIL CATCH CAN, i did install on mine IS250 last week.

change your PCV valve while you there, PCV valve really made a big different for my IS250 and my V6 Camry, install a catch can is super easy but find a spot to MOUNT was a lameass hard, also you clamp everything make sure no vacuum leaks or your car won't start, buy high quality SAE certified HOSING do not use clear hose or Chinese Hose, it says on the hose (PCV Hose SAE etc)

I work for a mechanical Company that has all kind of bracket and bolt i need, we have a machine shop that can custom anything on my IS and our Engineer Turbo his "Lotus" at the company lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok, so i have a 2007 is250 with 88k orig. miles, in mint condition. The previous (original) owner brought it to lexus dealer for EVERYTHING. He had Lexus dealership service it exactly as per the manual. I was able to get all 12 pages of every maintenance/visit to the dealer. Every 5k like clockwork he had the oil changed, etc. It runs perfect....never had the carbon build up issue. Now, here is my concern. I want to KEEP it from having the cbu issue, but is that possible? I live in the land of crappy gas...California. I use ONLY Shell Premium or Chevron premium or at least top tier gas (Shell and Chevron are supposed to be the best we have out here).I ran a can of seafoam thru a full tank of gas, am going to do the seafoam top end cleaner thru the throttle body, will change the plugs to OEM iridium (cant see where the plugs were changed at 60K, so just to be safe I am doing it). Will change the PCV and install another OEM one. I am also looking for a good quality OCC and intend on installing one as soon as I find one (I am concerned about putting a cheapo ebay $30 special on it), but I am also not into spending big $$$ for something if I can get it for less $ and same results... I also make it a habit to redline it once a day after it is warmed up, and drive a little hard on my way to work on the freeway when I get away from the city. (I work about 30 miles out of the city)
The car runs great. I really like it and it fits my needs. I am just concerned about the dreaded CBU issue that I read so many other people have. If I could, I would tear the top end off and inspect the valves myself, but I cant cuz I am a wuss and too broke to pay someone to do it. Bottom line is this: It runs perfect, it looks perfect. It has been maintained impeccably. The only issue is the inside front passenger tire is wearing poorly, but it sounds like that is a common issue. If I do everything I said above, and IF there is not a bad build up of carbon or a start of it, is it possible to keep the CBU from happening and drive this car for another 100k with just normal maintenance and wear and tear? Or are these cars a thing of beauty on the outside, but the inside (DI engine) is ugly and not worth a damn due to an inevitible CBU issue????

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry to be a thread necromancer, but this is a vital install because of this POS engine design (srsly, lexus engineers, how the hell did you NOT see this coming, and then saying putting in new pistons would FIX the problem? Yea, right. You can't stop engine blowby, every single one of these engines should be recalled as lemons.).

You also need to intercept the other PCV line (the short one from the valve cover to the intake pipe), using a different catch can. This is so you don't mess with the amount of air that would bypass the throttlebody.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unfortunately not. The injector sprays into the combustion chamber past the valve.
Only on InDirect injection will it help as they spray into inlet BEFORE the valve.
IS350 uses both systems.
A lot of European cars also have the same issues, Audi, VW, BMW with carbon build since they went to direct injection.
Lexus are not alone with this issue.

Baz

·
Registered
1 Posts
What about plugging up the intake manifold where the pvc enters and then routing the crankcase venting to the atmosphere? I would completely eliminate crankcase gasses from entering the intake manifold & valves

1 - 18 of 18 Posts