Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the piece was not broken during servicing, then who is responsible? If it was broken as a result of the servicing, it should have stopped working immediately regardless of if it was serviced at Lexus or by a third party.

·
Ninja?
16,050 Posts
It matters whether you serviced it at the dealer because you have some leverage when explaining that it worked fine until a few months later. Having records of that service being done at the dealer will make it easier for you to get it repaired under warranty. If you tell them that you had it serviced elsewhere, they will tell you "good luck" and send you on your way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for your help. One last question (since this seems to be the case with my car having worked fine for five months after servicing), is it possible this piece could be broken by something other than replacing the air filter?

·
Ninja?
16,050 Posts
I've not seen other cases of it breaking. It might not even be broken, maybe stuck? It's possible that debris can cause a lever or such to jam the mechanism.

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
I force remove my ac filter on is350 2007. For few hour it didn't even close the 3 rd door. Now it work after few mannual open close with my hang. now everytime I turn ac to recirculator mode . the door that cover the filter open but never close. It that normal? How come the automatic mode close ties. But not the circulate mode? did I broke it

·
Ninja?
16,050 Posts
I force remove my ac filter on is350 2007. For few hour it didn't even close the 3 rd door. Now it work after few mannual open close with my hang. now everytime I turn ac to recirculator mode . the door that cover the filter open but never close. It that normal? How come the automatic mode close ties. But not the circulate mode? did I broke it
it's possible that you broke it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When in recirculate mode the ac filter cover open .I can remove the filter but when I start the engine After insert new filter the cover (3rd door) in recirculate mode will not close I have to sellect auto mode to close the filter cover it that normal.

·
Registered
647 Posts
As far as I can understand the broken bracket would make the re-circulating setting inoperable. Most people avoid using the recirculating setting as it causes fogging of the windows. Why would someone be inclined to spend such an exorbitant amount of money for something so unimportant?
Just wondering... because the amount seems almost ridiculous!
My cars are always on recirculate mode. The air filter may trap dust and pollen but it doesn't filter out smells or chemicals. I'd rather not breathe a bunch of carbon monoxide and all the smells of the traffic!

Also, as far as I know, ALL Lexus models have very sophisticated climate control systems that eliminate that fogging problem. I live in FL and my windows have never had internal condensation, regardless of the temperature or humidity. The climate control in the IS actually takes in outside air in recirculate mode; it just takes in a lot less than in outside air mode.

The lesson here isn't to not "waste" money fixing things, but not to break it in the first place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here's a question for everyone. Has anyone else experienced a musty smell coming from the HVAC system after running the A/C? When I run the A/C and turn off the car, when I start it up, regardless of how long, the musty smell is very noticable coming out of the dashboard vents. I have had the cabin filter changed twice and the smell continues. A possible design flaw??

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
It's mildew that has built up on the evaporator coils under the dash. You'll need to get a product that can be sprayed into the intake ducts for that to kill the mildew. This can also be caused by the drain hose being misplaced or plugged. With the car and A/C running you should see water running out of the engine bay near the right front wheel i believe. If it's not, then the drain hose may be pulled out or plugged up.

·
Ninja?
16,050 Posts
Here's a question for everyone. Has anyone else experienced a musty smell coming from the HVAC system after running the A/C? When I run the A/C and turn off the car, when I start it up, regardless of how long, the musty smell is very noticable coming out of the dashboard vents. I have had the cabin filter changed twice and the smell continues. A possible design flaw??

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks
The filter is working fine. The problem is, there is either mold or dust/dirt in your vents. This is why I always run the air, even if the A/C is off. You should never turn off the air circulation completely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only time the air circulation is off is when the car is off. I suspect that when the car is turned off and the air conditioning has been running up to that time, the condensation is leading to the formation of mold. I am going to taking it to the dealer for a service soon so I will ask them to look at this possibility as they didn't mention this the 2 times they changed and charged me for a cabin filter.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
hey guys, found a 2pk cabin filter for $21.06 and an air filter for $17.32 on Ebay. these prices include the s/h and tax. just thought i would share this info for those who didnt know since i've always found helpful information here from you guys!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Broken or misaligned damper attachment

Just bought used IS250 2008. Had trouble with warm air as vehicle stopped. Dealer indicated someone must have broken the damper in an attempt to change the filter. Repair over $2000.00. However by keeping damper open wirh a prong, system cools very well. Would I ruin the HVAC system if I operate that way? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
thanks for the instructions. Is it the same for the IS300 models? I have a IS300, but I only found replacement instructions on the IS250?

·
Registered
1 Posts
air cabin filter damper broke

The solution to this will most likely cost much less than 2,000 to 4000 dollars that people are qouting on this site if your good at fixing things. It costs me 5 dollars and about 1 and 1/2 hours of my time. I broke my damper by not reading the instructions and forcing the door open. First disconnect the black battery terminal and wait at least 90 seconds. This is important because your removing the knee air bag and could go off when your handling it if u dont disconnect the battery(sounds difficult but its not). Remove the outter plastic cover, between the door and the glove box and also remove the plastic cover furthest underneathe the glove box where the passengers feet would be(I believe there is a wire attached to it so just let it sit in the passenger side floor). These two pieces do not screw on but snap on. Remove the 3 screws on the top of the glove box (you can see them with glove box open). Remove 3 bolts with a socket wrench that hold the knee airbag on(it is the black bar that runs the length of the glove box just below the glove box) Be very careful when removing it there is a wire on the right hand side that connects it. Leave the black plastic covering on the knee airbag and lay towels down so you don't scratch the outter covering and ruin the appearance of your dash. Make certain not to move the wire attached to the airbag much because its fragile. In my lexus there was enough slack in the wire to allow me to rest it on towels on the passenger side floor. I believe there is two more screws holding the glove box in on the bottom of the glove box, remove those. Be careful removing the glove box because again wires attached to it. I put a towel on the center console to not scratch anything and set the glove box on the center console just behind the shifter. I did not have enough slack in the wire until I cut the black electrical tape in two places to free up another 4 inches. You should now see the white lever that was broken which was attached on the left hand side of the damper. You need access the area where the lever is. Remove the white vertical tube with the 1 screw thats holding it in place. Now u will see a red box that says K-14. Remove the screw holding the red box in place. There is many wires to the red box (careful with it), take a piece of tape and tape it slightly to the left so you can have acccess to the area where the lever is. I used crazy glue and epoxy 2000 to glue the lever back on. The damper moves 2 mm to the left and right. I used this slight play to make certain I glued the lever to the damper and not to the outter housing. I am a pharmacist not a lexus tech so I don't recommend this be attempted by anyone because one could do much more damage to the car if not careful with the airbag and wires. I take no liability if anyone tries this and damages their car, it is just something that worked for me. The 5 dollars was for the glue:)

21 - 40 of 50 Posts