Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, yasterday I bought a 2007 IS220d on the way home (100miles) my clutch sliped (I think) and I was left stranded on the middle of the road.The clutch pedal feels normal (not slave or master cylinder related), but I can go through all gears and the car doesnt even budge . My question is is the clutch the problem because I've had car with bad clutches and they started sliping from time to time ,not like that from nowhere?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Usually clutches give fair warning before not being able to drive at all.

I would visually verify that stepping on the pedal truly actuates the slave cylinder. Get under car and watch while someone else actuates pedal. If you have a direct-acting slave, you'll need to pull the inspection cover and look inside bellhousing. While in there, perhaps you'll find evidence of a catastrophic clutch failure.

I can think of several reasons you could have lost all drive, but all would likely be accompanied by bad noises.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually clutches give fair warning before not being able to drive at all.

I would visually verify that stepping on the pedal truly actuates the slave cylinder. Get under car and watch while someone else actuates pedal. If you have a direct-acting slave, you'll need to pull the inspection cover and look inside bellhousing. While in there, perhaps you'll find evidence of a catastrophic clutch failure.

I can think of several reasons you could have lost all drive, but all would likely be accompanied by bad noises.
Thanks for the reply!I changed the clutch the friction material was gone!Now I have a new problem.The pedal does not return and feells very light.The system is bleeded a multiple times and no bubles were present.I have also replaced the slave and master cylinders, and no sucses. Any ideas?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thanks for the reply!I changed the clutch the friction material was gone!Now I have a new problem.The pedal does not return and feells very light.The system is bleeded a multiple times and no bubles were present.I have also replaced the slave and master cylinders, and no sucses. Any ideas?
Those symptoms perfectly describe air in the system. If you used the traditional bleed method (push and hold pedal, open bleeder, close bleeder, release pedal, repeat), I would try a power bleeder or pneumatic sucker-bleeder.

I've never need to do it for a clutch master cylinder, but with brake masters, it's important to "bench bleed" before installation, otherwise there are spots inside the cylinder just about impossible to bleed. Perhaps do some reading/research to see if that might help in your scenario.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts