Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Where did that term "RICEBOY" come from anyways? Is it just because Rice is the primary food of Asia and Japanese cars do all that add on excessive body kits? My E55 AMG is made in Germany, so I guess I'm a Brautwurst Boy....
Eric...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Some Chinese kid named Brian coined the term when he started Riceboypage.com
And you're right the IS300 is a riceboy car... But there's a difference between and racer and a ricer... Racers tune their car for performance and style as well... Riceboys just add big rims, big exhaust, loud intake and some whack bodykit... It's all about "originalty" for them.... Some people think I'm a riceboy cause I like body kits and what not, but I'm not doing my mods simply to do them, I'm doing them to make my car "good" plus I'm trying to learn all I can, where as riceboys could care less all they know is the basic mods they need to make their car pimped out

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
The term rice goes back before Brain made the riceboy page. I believe it goes back to the days when American Motorcycle riders called Japanese bikes "rice rockets." The term rice has nothing to do with the race of the driver, but has to do with the car's country of origin, although the term seems to have expaned to fit any vehicle, no matter its country of origin. I guess it's too hard to separate them all into their different countries, and now cars like Corollas and Camrys are made here in the USA, so in a sense they aren't fully Japanese cars (I think that made some sense
). And there is a difference between ricers and tuners...but since the main goal of Toyota is making $, as in any business, they wanted to attract as much customers as possible, including ricers. Okay, I'm starting to overanalyze this rice thing...
K den.
---------------------------------------------
Scott, who has seen his fair share of rice here in paradise.

·
Registered
226 Posts
IS300 is the "same" save the engine/transmission. Gee... and I thought a tranny/engine is the heart of a car (ya kno, make it go). And I don't know that people use the term Riceboy correctly on this forum. A rice boy puts stickers of stuff they don't have on their car, wings that are higher than the roof, or unpainted bodykits. Bolting on an exhaust, or even sticking on a "normal" spoiler doesn't not make you a riceboy. So please stop callin' people that.
And what's a bit irritaing is that people say that the IS300 lights are "ricey"... these lights are NOT AFTERMARKET!!! I don't know how many times people have to say this. It just happens to be a style that came from the factory... just like the G3 Integra lights. The rear lights aren't ricey, they're copied, imitated, maybe now played out. It doesn't matter tho... it's not like I went out and bought some APC lights for my car... it came with the car. sheesh... enough ranting. sorry

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yes, the terms "riceboy" and "rice rocket" has some deep roots, and started out as a reference to a vehicle's country of origin, but also carried many of the negative connotations and stereotypes that the majority of Americans held for said country/culture.

As it became politically incorrect to hold such implications and stereotypes, people reworked these mild racial derogatives into facially neutral terms. Instead of un-PC references to any particular country or ethnicity, "rice" (despite the fact that this particular term is intimately linked with the American perception of Asian ethnicities) is now more-or-less defined as "a preoccupation with the facade of high performance." (The definition must not necessitate any association with aftermarket accessories, or otherwise it would have no application to the IS300, right?)

In light of the terms' racist origins, it's not surprising that the vast majority of the applications have been to Japanese vehicles and Asian car enthusiasts, even though the recently sanitized definition can be effectively applied to lowriders, hot rods (not all rods are fast, the style is simply looking optimized for drag), and cars such as the Chrysler Prowler, pseudo-Saleens, and all the tail-finned super-embellished cars from the 50's and 60's.

But when have you heard any of these cars or enthusiasts being called "riceboys" or "rice rockets"? Never.

Remember the term "facially neutral".

(Americans have had a great deal of experience in transforming essentially unsavory practices into facially neutral ones so that injustice can be given an excuse to exist. See slavery, arguments for; segregation, separate but "equal"; redlining, voting districts; sex discrimination, military; and ad infinitum.)

·
Registered
571 Posts
we have plenty of white "riceboys" here in the south......most of them are in high school.

to me, a riceboy is anyone in this hobby just because it's the trend and just following others....most high school kids here just tack on "crap" on their car because they want to say they "modded" their car...they know jack crap what the mod really does..................

some guys, like me, do extensive research and lash out the dough for mods that we know will IMPROVE the performance of the car.

a well-modded IS300 with tein colivoers, Millen intake, header and exhaust and reconfigured ECU will out handle and out-perform and out-handle a stock IS anyday, add some nice Racing hart rims and a body kit/spoiler and you'll have yourself a new and improved IS.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I agree people haven't been using the term "riceboy" correctly and although most think that the term is not racist I'd still beat someone's ass (asian or not asian) if they called me a riceboy. Ultimately, the term riceboy has a racist conatation because it is a stereotype of Asians based on an stupid assumption that Asians grow rice, eat rice, and **** rice. I want to be refered to as an individual so if you don't know me just say "look at that guy in the cool car"

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I call any car that has "mods" that are, IMHO, tasteless, rice cars. I apply the term to any car, asian or not. Neons, Civics, Integras, whatevers, they're all fair game to me. In Hawaii, a lot of us are asian, so I can't help it that if you see a ricey car there happens to be an asian person driving it.

As far as rice being a racist thing...It doesn't bother me personally. Maybe growing up in Hawaii has something to do with that, I don't know. The world would be a boring place if we were all the same. And believe it or not, Asians do grow and eat rice...it is a staple in Asian diets. I eat rice every damn day, I like to eat rice. What, should I be ashamed of that? No way. Why? To me people are just too damn sensitive sometimes. Maybe it is different where you grew up, but it's not like Hawaii was always like this. Asians worked on plantations and weren't exactly high up on the social and economic ladder. So it's not like asians never experienced discrimination in Hawaii. Dammit, I dunno. Lucky I live Hawaii I guess.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Lexus was smart for targeting the "riceboy" market. The fact is, a lot of these guys are now making good money and they want to trade-in their civics and integras and move up into something nicer.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I stopped using the "r" term after someone on this forum got all upset about the possible racist connotations of the phrase.

So - be careful how you use the term - some people find it offensive.

============================================

Yes - I agree the IS200/300 was designed with some styling details targeting the "youthful tuner customer".

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm asian and I'm not offended by the riceboy term. I eat rice everyday. Rice is an integral part of asian cuisine and culture. I'd be offended if people referred to asian cars as gookmobiles.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I used the word Jap on here a long time ago and some guy got in my face for being a racist white guy. He was swearing up a storm and I basically told him to fuc* off...I think the thread got deleted (not sure)
. I use Jap cuz it is easier to type and say it sometimes instead of Japanese. For example, "What class u get now? Jap?" instead of "What class u get now? Japanese?" I don't understand why anyone gets offended at the term oriental...doesn't it just mean east, and occidental is west? I don't see what's so bad about that. U know what, I like oriental dressing on my salad.

Man, if you go through life being a person who needs the world to be politically correct I think your life must be sad. Because I guarantee something, somewhere, will offend you. Are you going to get mad every day for every little thing because someone said or did something offensive to you? U'd just be all mad all the time, and I don't know how u could ever have any fun.
---------------------------------------------
This car, like me, eats rice.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm Chinese and I eat rice everyday but my point is that it's ridiculous and even rude to label Asians on their diet or any other part of their culture. The problem is not the actual term "riceboy" but the negative conatations that comes with the term. Something negative is usually implied when someone uses the term. It's liek "Man, look at that riceboy with that ridiculous car." rather then "Wow, those riceboys have very unique tastes." To say that riceboy is not offensive would be saying that the term "cottonpicker" is not offensive to African Americans. I'm not an uptight person but this type of ignorance I can't stand. I've never been directly discriminated and in fact I live in a neighborhood and went to a high school of mostly Asians but it certainly does not desensitize my feelings towards ignorace and racism. The fact is that many people of color are discriminated and I'm not going to make light of it by using such terms. I don't think it has anything to do with PCness but simply an obligation in such a diverse society for us to see people as individuals. If nothing else, its simply good manners. BTW, these are my views and I'm certainly not imposing them on anyone. Just shedding some light on those who may be confused why anyone would be offended by such terms. Sorry bout the long post.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
heeey please tell me that;s a 4000gt?
I'm guessing you're talking to me...if not then sorry. Nope that is not a 4000GT. It is a Toyota Supra.

[This message has been edited by HIBBoyScott (edited October 10, 2000).]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
16 Participants
HIBBoyScott
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing