Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a ticking noise coming from the engine bay area (might even be 2 different types of ticking) - can only hear them at idle (not from within the car, but from outside, with the hood open)

The first type of ticking i believe comes from the front of the engine, from the belts / pulleys area. It's not squeaking, like in belts slipping or something, but it's a ticking that's in sync with the rpm and can only be heard until about 1.5 - 2k rpm (after that, it either disappears or the engine noise covers it).

Second type of noise is the normal ticking you get in old engines - my indy mechanic says it's not the valves - although it definitely sounds like them. The engine runs fine, revs nicely, idles pretty much ok (i can feel some vibrations in the steering wheel and gear shifter at idle, nothing too bad, but i expected and L6 engine to be much smoother at idle).

Some guy told me it might not be running on all cylinders - how can i check? I have an obd2 tester and there are no error codes. STFT is around +/- 3 and LTFT is -10 (for bank 1) and -16 (for bank 2).

The only strange thing i noticed when checking engine data was that there was always a difference between the O2 sensor voltages : the precat sensors, bank 1 and bank 2 - b2s1 was moving between 0.1 - 0.9 V and b2s1 between 0.1 - 0.5 (sometimes up to 0.7). Should they be symmetrical? When i got the car it had the check engine light on, code P0155 (B2S1 malfunction) - i cleared it and it never appeared again.

The car is an IS200 2001 model, 350K kms on the clock but the engine has been refurbished about 20K kms ago (piston rings, valve seals, head resurfaced, new gaskets, cam belt, pulleys and water pump, spark plugs, ignition coils).

What drives me crazy is that the car sounds like at diesel at idle (the noise is present only at idle, no strange noises above 1200 rpm)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts