Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or a second/third car? anyone experience snow with it yet?

i especially look forward to disintegration's response. filled with wit and intellect, let me tell ya

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Daily driver, no snow just some rain in the bay area...no wit, and certainly no intellect

[This message has been edited by Agent Smith (edited October 10, 2000).]

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I'm assuming the CL-s would be better in the snow than the IS300 because it's front wheel drive and has most of the weight up front... The IS300 is nose heavy and is rear wheel drive.... That's a plus for the CL-S
Eric...

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Agent Smith:
Daily driver, no snow just some rain in the bay area...no wit, and certainly no intellect

[This message has been edited by Agent Smith (edited October 10, 2000).]
if i recall, the is300 does not come with all-season rubber (esp. on the 17" wheels). what do y'all plan on doing when the snow comes?

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by EricK:
I'm assuming the CL-s would be better in the snow than the IS300 because it's front wheel drive and has most of the weight up front... The IS300 is nose heavy and is rear wheel drive.... That's a plus for the CL-S
Eric...
a bit better, maybe, but still not great

acura provides all-season rubber on the cl-s, which is mixed-bag: handling is compromised a bit, but it's better in the white stuff. oh well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Daily driver, no CL's (or Accords), just some dust in Geoff's face ... Some wit, much intellect, and owner of a great looking and performing blk/blk 01 IS300 ... p.s. Isn't the CL a chick car ? I've never seen a guy driving one ...

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Agent Smith:
G - no snow in the bay area...I take my SUV to Tahoe...
when i was in long beach on business, i saw about 10 is300s in two days. lots more out there than here. then again, the weather is perfect, so that's most likely the reason.

u californians are lucky

·
Registered
511 Posts
This is my DD. I usually use public transportation to go to work M-F in NYC. But it will be my DD for a long time. I dont need to worry about snow cause thats why we pay taxes in NYC ...so them big a$$ plows can clean the highways and roads and salt em too to melt the ice. So traction not an issue in NYC (and if it is... slow down a bit in bad weather? duh?) ... we're not in the boonies!

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by rarjoon:
This is my DD. I usually use public transportation to go to work M-F in NYC. But it will be my DD for a long time. I dont need to worry about snow cause thats why we pay taxes in NYC ...so them big a$$ plows can clean the highways and roads and salt em too to melt the ice. So traction not an issue in NYC (and if it is... slow down a bit in bad weather? duh?) ... we're not in the boonies!
here in MI, our winters have been relatively lame over the last 8-10 years, literally. of course, now that my jeep is due back in a month and i'll have to drive the cl-s everywhere, it'll snow like a sumbitch...just watch.

and then, of course, i'll have to blame that on all y'all...you voodoo monkeys

·
Registered
814 Posts
The IS is my DD. I have to decide whether to get a winter beater or spend 1-2K on tires and rims. Didn't really think about this when I bought my car in July when the weather was so nice

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
its my DD.. It suppose to snow lastnight here in Rochester, but it didn't. I think it will be ok in snow.. if you get the snow tires

I am planning on rinsing the car every night though.. just to wash the salt off

·
Registered
195 Posts
Definitely my daily driver...I have about 12300 miles on it.

Being from SoCal, there ain't no snow on the ground. But, I've experienced driving in the rain and, damn, the stock tires suck (GS-D) -- as expected. Thank god for the traction control, though. I'm sure that will hope A LOT for you snow-daze people.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yes, this is my daily driver. I don't really see this as a "2nd car" for anyone. It is _TOO_ practical and _NOT_ sporty enough for that.

I would think we will get some people with IS300 daily driver, and S2000 as a 2nd car.

I have a Supercharged MR2 (& Kawasaki Superbike) as my second car, but plan to (eventually) replace the 1988 MR2 with a 2002+ MR2-Spyder.

For trips to lake Tahoe we will probably go in my wife's Mercury Sable Wagon because:

1> Slightly better fuel mileage
2> More room inside
3> Roof racks are good for skiis
4> Front wheel drive and 65 series tires are better for snow.
5> Why subject the Lexus to road salt?

·
Registered
424 Posts
My IS is definitely my daily driver. I've done about 8000 miles in 4 months without any problems. When the snow comes I'll switch to my RX300 or perhaps get snow tires.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
hey Teg, don't you think the "eyes" (head lights) of the IS300 and S2000 looks kind of similar?

btw.. they are my 2 favorite japanese cars.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Sort of, I suppose.

I don't like the fact that the S2000 has such a long hood - and only 4 cylinders in there.

I like the way the IS300 has an inline-6 "crammed" into a relatively short front hood.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
somewhat of a daily driver.

my other car is a 1985 supra. 2.8 liter.. haha.. but i'm afraid to drive it in the dark due to some questionable electrical problems. so i drive my IS on days i get home late. (1900 miles in 3 months) =)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts