Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

kinda stupid question. I have had my Is now for about 1 1/2 yrs. I really feel like my car is slower than when I first bought it. I remember first getting in and hitting that gas pedal and bringing a smile to my face. The torque pushed me back in my seat and the car growled all the way up to redline. Anyway, I kinda feel like my car is acting real sluggish. I would say 80-90% of the time it feels slower and then 10-20% it surprises me. Right now the car is at the dealer getting a few cosmetic things done as well as replacing some stuff...

1. New CD Player being installed
2. My auxiliary outlet cover in the armrest console broke and they are replacing it.
3. Slow acceleration and engine lag is being looked at.
4. Replace AC Panel (thanks to .net thread)
5. Rattle in the trunk that no one can locate...
6. ***They are painting my hubs and possibly my calipers (complimentary)*** 2001 Owners know what I am talking about!

Anyway, I was just venting a bit about myown gripes. #6 really took the cake :) I'll keep you posted when I get my car back. Hopefully they can tune it or something to make it feel a bit smoother. I test drove a 2003 model and it was a lot more powerful (feeling) than my own car. I plan to point that out when I get back there. My friend said thay may have to tune the engine or something :whine: My car is stock but when I get it back, it has a PLP intake and a Teck kit waiting to welcome it home! Well I do have a classy ES to roll around the town with until then. Love to hear everyones thoughts!!!

-Paul

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I'v had mine for a year, and it feels much stronger then when I bough it. Thanks to SRT, TANABE and Xerd of course :).

I think you are just used to it. Don't drive it for like a week and then drive it, it will seem very fast again.

·
Registered
266 Posts
yeah, mine feels a lot faster than when it was new for some reason. :wink:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
My car drives much better than it does new, more solid. With my minor mods is much more responsive, slightly better power, sounds meaner, and gets better mpg depending on my mood ofcourse. But overall, due to my mods, my IS is much better than before. I love it even more.

Only thing that shows its time is the paint. Everything else is rock solid. i cannot speak for stock owners though.

-crontab -l

·
Registered
342 Posts
LX4U2NV said:
Hey guys,

6. ***They are painting my hubs and possibly my calipers (complimentary)*** 2001 Owners know what I am talking about!

-Paul
I have a 2001 and I am not sure what you mean about #6...Can you enlighten me please :-?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
If you look at your brake rotors, you see an area, a hub if you will, that is protruding from the rotor and touching the wheel. Usually if that area is untreated it will rust pretty badly. Some dealers are painting the rusted areas for free. Just ask.

-crontab -l

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
What dealer did you take it too?

I'd like to get my ac panel replaced too...since it has a glossy shine on part of it for no reason...and I can't get rid of it. ugh :(

$400 piece for that unit.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I bet he took it to Meade Lexus - Lakeside.

Mattssi, any update on the turbo? Delay must be making ya crazy. You'll be the first turbo IS in MI. :crazy:

·
8,880 Posts
You're just used to it.
Drive a different car for a while and you'll see. You are driving the loaner ES, so when you get your IS back, you'll know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
SexyLex said:

Mattssi, any update on the turbo? Delay must be making ya crazy. You'll be the first turbo IS in MI. :crazy:
Yeah man!!! Manifolds are in and they are shipping today/tomorrow. I've called a few times already just to make sure :)

So, that means...if ups ground...should take 2-3 days. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Installing it next weekend or the week after...can't remember when my bro had off. I hope I'm the first...so I can show up at the bw3 meets like woah! :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys, thanks for all the comments! Please ingore my gramatical and spelling issues :lol:

danielm said:
I'v had mine for a year, and it feels much stronger then when I bough it. Thanks to SRT, TANABE and Xerd of course :). I think you are just used to it. Don't drive it for like a week and then drive it, it will seem very fast again.
Trust me man, I know what the car is 'supposed' to feel like and something is up... Like I mentioned above, I drove a 2003 model and the difference was like night and day! I drove my car with the tech and then a 2003 with a teck and he even noted a very noticeable difference. I am sure your mods also help in keeping your car Fast and Furious :lol:

crontab said:
With my minor mods is much more responsive, slightly better power, sounds meaner, and gets better mpg depending on my mood ofcourse. But overall, due to my mods, my IS is much better than before. I love it even more.
I agree with you crontab. Mods are what make the car. I just got my PLP intake and Teck Kit. I am still looking to get a Dragger II and Xerd Racepipe. Hopefully that will solve my sluggish woes :whine:

SDuquette said:
Maye you need an oil change? Mine is almost a year old with 9k miles, feels the same I think
I should hope right now that you are joking :roll: . I get my oil changed every 3K with Mobil 1 Synthetic. Since I just passed the 27K mark the oil was just changed (drum roll please...) 8 days ago! Ladies and gentleman, no more newb-type resposes please :lol:

revhard said:
After driving your car for 1.5 years your probably just getting use to the power.
I thought so too untill I drove the 2003 model!

edgy said:
mine......

definitely NOT... :wink:
edgy, you are one of the last people on this thread that I would think to have a sluggish ride. Love the pix man! :p

jarod said:
I have a 2001 and I am not sure what you mean about #6...Can you enlighten me please
Crontab is right, as ususal 8) . 2K2+ owners got their hubs painted black, because us 2K1 owners kept complaining the hubs looked like they were rusting. Some dealers will be nice enough to paint your hubs, and others will tell you that you bought a 2001 and thats just the way they all are :crazy:

SexyLex said:
What gave you that idea??? Maybe since we were there last year at our informal meet. :lol: Man, I knew there was someone watching me as I took it in. " I SEE living IS300.net people" :lol: Hey are you coming to the OHIO meet coming up?

mattssi said:
What dealer did you take it too?
I'd like to get my ac panel replaced too...since it has a glossy shine on part of it for no reason...and I can't get rid of it. ugh
$400 piece for that unit.
Hey mattssi, how have you been. I haven't heard from you in a while. According to .net, you are a regular, but I thought you were MIA :crazy: Anyway, I went to Meade-Lakeside. I took in the .net thread and they didn't even question the replacement of the panel. Save yourself $400 and talk to that MILF Debbie Sylvia :p Congrats on the future turbo. Man, its people in MI like you take make me wish that I won the lottery so I can keep up with you 'modding ass.' Hey glad to hear you will be going to Ohio for the meet. I'll see you then!

vlad_a said:
You're just used to it.
Drive a different car for a while and you'll see. You are driving the loaner ES, so when you get your IS back, you'll know what I'm talking about.
I thought I was used to it too untill I drove the 2003 IS with the Lexus Tech. I agree with you about the ES loaner though. Its plush inside but Hella Slow :x

juniorsdad said:
man, it feels like its getting better every day...
in fact, its been feeling great..!.. even in hot weather, too
I am Jealous! :crazy:

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
LX4U2NV said:
I am sure your mods also help in keeping your car Fast and Furious :lol:

OK. Exactly how are my mods keeping my car Fast and Furious? I don't see anything rice about the mods I have.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
i doubt your spark plugs have gone bad already, but that is one potential source of lost power. Another could be dirty/clogged fuel injection system. Over time, you can get buildup in the engines that lead to reduced power. Another could be your driving style "taught" the ecu. Supposedly it learns and adapts to your driving style, so if you've been taking it easy, maybe it has adapted to that style.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
try cleaning your air filter, it helps quite a bit (i think)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I think you need to:

1. Change airfilter
2. get fuel injector cleaner.
3. Change to mobil 1 oil
4. reset ECU
5. check tire pressure.

have dealer:
5. re-flash the tranny ECU.
6. check fuel pressure
7. change fuel filter.

you might have crappy gas in your area. I notice difference between different brand of fuel have different performance. Chevron & Mobil is good. all other I put in just to save a couple buck.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
danielm said:
LX4U2NV said:
I am sure your mods also help in keeping your car Fast and Furious :lol:
OK. Exactly how are my mods keeping my car Fast and Furious? I don't see anything rice about the mods I have.
ok I am going to slow this down for the people that used to take the short Yellow bus to school. :whine: I was giving you a compliment by saying your mods are what keep your car running fast versus mine. :eek: Apparaently U don't like compliments! :shame: I'll keep them to myself next time when I refer to you. :x

:lol:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts