Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know If Lexus has confirmed production of a wagon version of the IS? I talked to a salesman today who didn't think that was going to happen, yet I know I read something somewhere.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
one of my factory reps. said they will probably have a line of cars on the IS300 platform he mentioned coupe, convertible, and wagon. this is going to be in the future though not very near he says.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The Japanese car rumor magazines have some mock up pictures of IS wagons which have gotten alot of people thinking it is a reality. For now it is just a rumor, but thinking that Lexus may copy the whole BMW 3 series line doesn't seem impossible.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The rumor of Altezza station wagon and 2Dr coupe has been around since last winter in Japan. Recently the scoop magazines here have reported that the wagon will have the same 3L engine as the IS300. Hence, high chance it will be exported to the US as IS300 wagon. But the R&D for the 2DR coupe seemed to have stopped, the same magazines say. Both cars are supposed to be introduced with Altezza names in year 2001 or 2002 in the JDM.

I also have information about AWD Altezza from a different but reliable source. This could come out around the fall of 2001.

The Type-R edition of Altezza is rumoured to come out this fall, but some sources say it won't. These "some sources" (some auto magazines in Japan) predict that the IS300 with Altezza badge is the rumoured Type-R. I'm hoping it isn't. I'd prefer a 2.5L turbo. 3L is too heavy and the car tax for 3L is extraordinary expensive in Japan. I don't want to be broke every spring when I have to pay car taxes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would definitely suggest that the couple and possible the convertible version of the of the IS300 would come to the US in the near future, but I highly doubt the wagon would come here. Based on the Japanese car companies selling wagons here in the past have not been that well. The Accord Wagon, Camry Wagon, and Diamante Wagon practically did not really sell that well here, so I dont think based on statistics they will platform the car for US then. I lived in Japan last year for about a year and I saw a wagon that I thought would do well in America with its styling but highly doubt it would come. The toyota Caldina GT-T, http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Caldina/index.html
is a nice wagon with a turbo 260hp engine and 17" graphite alloys.Maybe you guys wont like it but you get a different view over in Japan when you see wagons that are turbo and fixed up and hearing blow off valves go off.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
The Caldina is also available with AWD.

I agree with you, Altezza, about using a smaller turbocharged engine. The 1JZ-GTE or the 3S-GTE would be perfect.

Wagons don't sell well in the U.S. because freakin' SUV's are the thing to buy. Freakin' soccer moms on their cell phones...
Too many people think that they're invincible in those things.

[This message has been edited by JW (edited June 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hmmm, I didn't know station wagons are OUT in the US. Here, the Subaru Legacy is the king of station wagons by far. Followed by the Caldina and Mark 2 Qualis of Toyota and Stagea (Skyline station wagon) of Nissan. Accord wagon was a big seller but after a model change its popularity plunged. Camry (Gracia) wagons are seen sometimes as well. The reason why Caldina is not exported is because its based on the Corona (Carina) sedan which is the basic 4DR sedan for the JDM. Therefore Caldina also becomes a JDM model. Corona's counterpart for the US will be the Camry, so the Camry station wagon already takes place of Caldina in the US market. Caldina is called the Avensis wagon in Europe, maybe some of you people have seen it there.

As for the hated SUV, Toyota is planning to release a new SUV in the US market. Its name is scooped to be as the "Highlander". Its supposed to be a Toyota version of the RX300. That means much of the parts will be commonized with Camry, ES300, Sienna and the RX, so it should come at an affordable price with possibilities of being manufactured in the US. I heard it looks like the Jeep, and Toyota HQ wanted to make it look different, but TMS strongly insisted that it should resemble Jeep since its going to attack that market.

Wow, so much stuff that has nothing to do with the IS300! Hang on, I'm planning to put a TRD sport seat on my Altezza tomorrow, I'll report if they were worth the price. And somebody convince me to get a turbo on my 3S-GE. I'm consulting with my bank account to see if I must wait till this winter to afford the kit.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah, SUVs have taken over and a lot of station wagon models have been cancelled in the USA.

My wife wanted an "old fashioned" station wagon with bench seats, and about the only thing we could find was a Mercury Sable / Ford Taurus wagon with front wheel drive. If you can live with bucket seats then the main wagons still for sale in the USA are from Subaru, Volvo, Saab, BMW (5 series), Audi and Saturn. I am sure there are others, but the main point is that they aren't selling that well compared to all the SUVs you see everywhere.

Apparently the Lexus RX300 is a *very* hot seller here. Once they get the Toyota highlander factory going in the USA they will probably start building RX300s here too...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
TEG
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing