Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal:

I own a 2000 Z3 2.3 (2.5 liter engine) and a 2001 IS. I was comparing stats on the 2 cars. I noticed that the Z3 is .1 second faster from 0-60. Both have in-line 6's. Bimmer is a 2.5 while the IS is 3.0. Bimmer has 170 hp while the IS sports 215. I realize the IS is a heavier car (almost 400lbs). Could the difference in weight cause that much of a difference in performance? I am sure gear ratios and a slew of other factors come into play here. Just wondering how a car with significantly less hp could turn out faster times than my beloved IS. I figured I would toss this out to all of the car aficionados out there. What better place to ask than IS300.net. I drive both cars on a regular basis.
While they both do have very different feels, it is difficult to distinguish between variances in power. Maybe some of the Bimmer fans that frequent this board could shed some light on the subject.

Apologies in advance for my mindless banter.

Comparingly Yours,

Lex

Disclaimer: I am by no stretch of the imagination a car expert, nor do I claim to be one (Hence this post).

------------------
2001 SBM/Black IS300 w/Navigation
2000 BMW Z3 2.3
1999 Ducati SS 750(worked)
1982 Captain America Big Wheel

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
To put it simple:

1) A-U-T-O-M-A-T-I-C Transmission
2) Vehicle Weight
3) Drag co-efficient
4) Gear Ratios
5) Torque and HP and at what RPM they are reached.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Originally posted by QuikVR6:
3) Drag co-efficient
Actually, the drag coefficient of the IS300 is 0.29, 2nd lowest in its vehicle class only bested by the new C-series, while that of the Z3 is a much higher 0.40 (typically, BMWs have fairly bad drag coefficients).

But to answer your question, three reasons:

1. Automatic transmission. The manual version of the IS300 is expected to do 0-60 in 6.5sec.
2. Weight. As you said, the IS300 is about 400 pounds heavier.
3. Gearing. The IS300 gearing is a carryover from GS-series with only a change in final drive and wheel diameter. Consequently, it has to hit 60 in 3rd gear.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

·
Registered
342 Posts
What is the drag coefficient of that thing? I remember reading that either it or the LS430 was .25, which is the lowest CD of any sedan. Which was it? I cant recall right now.

Originally posted by DtEW:
Actually, the drag coefficient of the IS300 is 0.29, 2nd lowest in its vehicle class only bested by the new C-series, while that of the Z3 is a much higher 0.40 (typically, BMWs have fairly bad drag coefficients).

------------------
2001 IS300
2000 Eclipse GT

·
Registered
816 Posts
The LS430 w/Ultra Luxury Package, because it requires the air suspension to lower the car. Non air-suspended LS430s are 0.26.

Originally posted by IIIseries:
What is the drag coefficient of that thing? I remember reading that either it or the LS430 was .25, which is the lowest CD of any sedan. Which was it? I cant recall right now.
------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yup, just like vr6 and Dtew said. Weight, gearing, and the AUTO is what slows down your IS vs the Z3. Coefficient of drag will play a role, but a small one, at least to 60 mph. It has a greater effect on HIGH SPEEDS (for ex, top speed) than a 0-60 sprint.

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the insight everyone.

Graciously Yours,

Lex

------------------
2000 BMW Z3 2.3

·
Registered
159 Posts
No, I got a competition for ya. 98 MBZ SLK230 auto vs your Z.3 2.5!

------------------
1998 Mercedes Benz SLK230
2000 Ford Excursion Ltd. 4x4 Diesel (for the winter)

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a challenge except for the fact that I traded in my 2000 2.3 today for a 2001 3.01

Excitedly yours,

Lex

------------------
2000 BMW Z3 2.3

·
Registered
159 Posts
Originally posted by LexArkana:
Sounds like a challenge except for the fact that I traded in my 2000 2.3 today for a 2001 3.01

Excitedly yours,

Lex

Damn...how much was that upgrade? I was thinknig of trading my Kompressor in for a 3.2, or an IS.

------------------

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Altezzer:

Damn...how much was that upgrade? I was thinknig of trading my Kompressor in for a 3.2, or an IS.

I picked up a 2000 Z3 2.3 last Saturday. After driving it for a week, i was not overly impressed with the power. Don't get me wrong; it wasn't slow, but i expected more. I went yesterday to a different dealer. They gave me exactly what I paid for my trade. In addition, they took about 2 thousand off of the price of the new one. So; to answer your question, I only had to pay the difference between the 2 cars (about 11K).

Upgradingly Yours,

Lex

PS: On a side note, there is a huge difference between the 2 cars. I picked up 55hp plus a bunch of other upgrades. the only thing this car did not have that the 2.3 had is an on-board computer (dang). Anyone know if one can be added after?

------------------
2001 BMW Z3 3.01 Titanium Silver w/Black

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

My 2 cents. If you can afford the 3.2, I would go for that. i would also recommend looking into the Z3 if you haven't already. If you drive stick, the M Roadster is supposed to be putting out around 300hp(WOW). that car must do wheelies.

Opinionatedly Yours,

Lex

------------------
2001 BMW Z3 3.01 Titanium Silver w/Black

·
Registered
159 Posts
Originally posted by LexArkana:
My 2 cents. If you can afford the 3.2, I would go for that. i would also recommend looking into the Z3 if you haven't already. If you drive stick, the M Roadster is supposed to be putting out around 300hp(WOW). that car must do wheelies.

Opinionatedly Yours,

Lex
I've looekd at Z3's before and was not impressed. Don't get me wrong, the car is a little more fun to drive, but I want my foreign car MADE in a foreign country. That's what's turnmed me against some acuras, hondas, and toyotas, because their quality was not up to par with the foriegn made cars.

And to top it off, I have fallen in love with the looks, exclusitivity, and top of the SLK. I lvoe the styling of my car, I just long for a stick shift and a little extra power. Hell, I would consider trading myne in for a 2000 LTD edition 5 speed, but I just want a little more grunt. Also, SLK's aren't nearly as common as Z3's aronud here, which I see alot. But the top is just the icing on the cake. I love it. I can drive my car with confidence in bad weather (except for deep snow of course).

But don't get me wrong, I love the Z3 and even more-so with the M, but I ADORE my SLK.

------------------

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've looekd at Z3's before and was not impressed. Don't get me wrong, the car is a little more fun to drive, but I want my foreign car MADE in a foreign country. That's what's turnmed me against some acuras, hondas, and toyotas, because their quality was not up to par with the foriegn made cars.

And to top it off, I have fallen in love with the looks, exclusitivity, and top of the SLK. I lvoe the styling of my car, I just long for a stick shift and a little extra power. Hell, I would consider trading myne in for a 2000 LTD edition 5 speed, but I just want a little more grunt. Also, SLK's aren't nearly as common as Z3's aronud here, which I see alot. But the top is just the icing on the cake. I love it. I can drive my car with confidence in bad weather (except for deep snow of course).

But don't get me wrong, I love the Z3 and even more-so with the M, but I ADORE my SLK.

Cool. The SLK is definitely a SWEEET car. I was looking at them also. AMG package looks real good. My neighbor picked one up a couple of months ago. He raves about it.
Now, if I could only figure out a way to get him to let me drive it...hmm...

Plottingly Yours,

Lex

------------------
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i Titanium Silver w/Black

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
LexArkana
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing