Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! I'm new here.......I really like this site. Well I am looking to buy a car in the next few weeks and these are the 3 cars that I am looking at. Since this is an IS sight I know I will get mostly pro IS, but I want to know any Pro's or Con's you may know about any of these cars.......Thanx for your help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The IS is the best handling car out of the three. I'm just disapointed with the power.
Out of the three I still prefer the IS body. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've driven the 6, and its a pretty good handling car. But the interior looks and feel cheap. Guess that's why it costs less than the IS300.

6 = Sports Sedan
IS300 = Luxury Sports Sedan

I will take the IS300 anytime.

:D

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Handling goes to the IS300

Looks would be a push between the Is300 & TSX

Value for your $ - TSX clearly

(I won't even mention the 6, cuz I don't feel it's in the same category)

Pros IS300 - RWD, I6 engine, style

Cons - Poor gas mileage, crappy leather interior & plastic, no storage space, POS paint chipping all the time (hood & bumper), POS manual tranny

Pros TSX - Good gas mileage, dual exhaust, great 6 speed, very quiet interior, excellent leather & plastics for interior, Voice activated NAV, storage spaces

Cons TSX - FWD, I4, handling (can be fixed with the right suspension work), non-existant torque, FWD & I4.

I would still get the IS300 just for the RWD, I6 & styling. Kinda sucks that they put a Lexus name on the car but used toyota quality for the interior, oh well.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I kind of laugh when the mags claim that cars like the TSX don't have torque steer. A better statement is some FWD cars have less torque steer than others. The nice thing about RWD cars is they don't have any. Just make a sharp corner in car like the TSX and stand on the gas really hard and see what happens. FWD performance cars are also crippled if they don't have an LSD.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
DL said:
crappy leather interior & plastic
excellent leather & plastics for interior
???? TSX doesnt even have REAL leather

Almost every TSX owner complains about numerous rattles due to the fact that the interior is cheap. :noway:

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I test drove a TSX, I thought it SUCKED. :eek:

Absolutely no power, and to tell you the truth, the interior was not all that impressive either. :crazy:

The only thing I like better about the TSX is the dual exhaust, but that is hardly a reason to pick it over the IS. :lol:

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I agree with DL, the 6 shouldn't even be compared with an IS.

A 6 with all the options included to give it any chance against an IS options wise is going to be MSRP 27,065 [cars direct (depending on where you live)]. I got my IS 2003 5 spd Sport Design for 30 OTD, and from what I'm hearing, could have gotten it for even less.

On paper the TSX looks great, but in reality its not doing so well even with die hard Acura fans.

I'd recomend the IS for many reasons. It feels like a Lexus (good sound insulation, smooth, quality), Lexus is 1st in reliability and for the money, I think its one of the best deals. And sh%t, its a Lex

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
perfektrtw said:

Absolutely no power, and to tell you the truth, the interior was not all that impressive either. :crazy:

The only thing I like better about the TSX is the dual exhaust, but that is hardly a reason to pick it over the IS. :lol:
:roll:

it's not a DUAL exhaust.
It's DUAL tips. that's about it - it's not a true dual exhaust.....
You can make the IS look the same way - but why would you want to?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
goldark said:
perfektrtw said:

it's not a DUAL exhaust.
really? The second exhaust is fake??

·
Registered
887 Posts
GraphiteSportDesign said:
goldark said:
perfektrtw said:

it's not a DUAL exhaust.
really? The second exhaust is fake??
Not fake but the twin exhaust tip comes from one exhaust pipe....so you get no performance gain from it...just looks. If anything it probably hurts performance.

I can't believe DL posted that the IS interior is crap....I love the escaine and leather combo. Best interior I have ever been in...and that says alot. Parents all drive MB and BMW. IS300 bottomline against those three. I would NEVER consider the TSX over the IS...are you kidding me!!! IS is a much better value. Performance, looks, service, reliability, etc.

Now I do disagree that the 6 isn't even in the same class. A 6 with 6-spd v6 with appearance package and 17" and fogs looks REAL sporty. It has great handling and power. The real advantage I see over the IS is much more room and bigger trunk. But again I like the IS. After all the options you are up close to 28k,29k for the 6. Plus you don't get reliability and lexus service..... go IS, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
[/quote]

really? The second exhaust is fake??[/quote]

Not fake but the twin exhaust tip comes from one exhaust pipe....so you get no performance gain from it...just looks. If anything it probably hurts performance.

I can't believe DL posted that the IS interior is crap....I love the escaine and leather combo. Best interior I have ever been in...and that says alot. Parents all drive MB and BMW. IS300 bottomline against those three. I would NEVER consider the TSX over the IS...are you kidding me!!! IS is a much better value. Performance, looks, service, reliability, etc.[/quote]

Plastics, leather is crap. Comon, MB & BMW use top qulity leather in their cars (are you looking at an 80's MB & BMW). The RX330, LS430, ES330 leather is way better than what they use in the IS300. If you're saying that the IS300 leather and plastics is top quality over BMW & MB, you need to put the crack pipe down cuz it's not. I love my car but they used toyota materials for the IS300 and not Lexus material. Just my opinion. The leather in my acura integra didn't crack as easily as in my is300, and that's not funny.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i like the escaine part of the interior cause its unique, but dl does have a point, the leather in our cars does crack easily, when i first got the car brand new from the dealer i could already see the cracks starting to form. :-? as for the preforated leather that comes with the 02's and above, i think they used cheap leather rather than lexus quality leather. they probably just did that to keep the price down although the price for the preforated leather was more than the escaine/leather.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I was going to ignore the 92nd TSX vs IS thread, but I have to agree that the IS interior doesn't suck - only the gauge cluster sucks - the steering wheel is perfect, the seat material is nice (ecsaine anyway), and the stereo is better than any in its class. To me, it's the seats, steering wheel, and stereo that matter, and Lexus did those right.

The TSX was so disappointing on the test drive, I miss my old GSR sedan - that felt sporty, and the VTEC loved to rev. The TSX was about as much fun as a Camry to drive. I could not feel a thing through the pedals, seats or steering wheel - reminds me of an arcade game. Car is damn slow too. The shifter is great, but the clutch blows - cannot feel a thing - just let it out and assume it's in gear. Yuck.

G

·
tyson745 said:
i like the escaine part of the interior cause its unique, but dl does have a point, the leather in our cars does crack easily, when i first got the car brand new from the dealer i could already see the cracks starting to form. :-? as for the preforated leather that comes with the 02's and above, i think they used cheap leather rather than lexus quality leather. they probably just did that to keep the price down although the price for the preforated leather was more than the escaine/leather.
did you mean creasing instead of cracking?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts