Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can already picture the doubtful feedback, but I wouldn't be doing my duty as a netter if I didn't post this:

Last night at almost midnight, my neighbor in his '05 Maxima (auto)pulled up beside me at a light on a very long stretch leading to our block. He shouted over, "you still think you can beat me you lucky bastard!?" (I'd beaten him in quick runs from light to light in the past and he called it luck). I shouted back, "it depends - have you learned how to drive yet?"

The light turned and we launched. We both broke tire and I jumped out a whole car ahead in 1st gear, hit 2nd and held it, hit 3rd and he's still in the same spot, hit 4th and he STILL in the same spot - at my rear bumper :suspiciou . At around 100mph, he had shut down, never making up that one car. When we got to our lot (we live in condos), he said, "I had no idea your car was that damn fast...my foot was underneath the floormat pressing on that pedal". I laughed it off.

The moral of this occurrence? It's not that the IS is crazy fast, it's that those new Max's just aren't either, lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mr.Is300 said:
yea, what do you have in your is?
I'm asked that question pretty often, actually. I get accused of either BS'ing or that the other car/driver wasn't "trying". I'm stock. The motor is really healthy - strong for what it is..as if it's under-rated. I have been put in my place by some of my friends (SER Altima, lightly modded RSX-S, SRT-4). With the exception of the RSX, every questionable race resulted in my favor. No wonder I was so impressed when I test drove it. What can I say? It is what it is. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,033 Posts
im gonna say it. he drives for shit. if he broke traction the race was over. i spin all the way through first into second. auto magic by the way. the 50hp is a big one. if you said you beat a 00 like that maybe. but 05. nope. he's must be in the sl. he didnt have the lsd so i know he was not fighting you but the damn steering wheel. llol. good kill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,439 Posts
yea, i've seen an Altima SE-R beat a 350z from a dig. guy in the 350z didnt know how to drive. i just dont see him not catching up after 3 gear changes :lol:
 

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
Joined
·
5,631 Posts
maybe he does'nt understand that you can take your car to redline before it needs to change gears, and just kinda eases off the throttle while it changes gears? :confused:

an A/T Max is a big fat porker, but still with the extra hp, and an idiot-proof auto transmission, it should still be able to beat you , provided you are NA and do not drive a gutted car.

Maybe he has tranny shifting problems??????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Hmm Don't know how I'll do now but about a year ago I raced one of those 04 maximas with auto and an injin intake. From a secound gear roll(50mph) I used to pull on him all through 2nd he would gain a little in third and then fall away again in 4th. However I raced the same guy a little later He had since purchased a GReddy SP2 exhaust. And from a dig I didn't stand a chance till third gear(I had more mods then as well.) and then I would pull on him. But hey good race. The new maxima;s are fairly quick, heavy but quick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blondebond said:
I raced one of those 04 maximas with auto and an injin intake. From a secound gear roll(50mph) I used to pull on him all through 2nd he would gain a little in third and then fall away again in 4th.
Another believer!? LOL. This makes the 4th time I've beaten him from a stop. From a roll, he pulls away if we're starting in 3rd gear or higher. I'll ask him to race me again and I'll tape it and post the run..............(God forbid I lose this time :confused: )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
IZZY RICH said:
I can already picture the doubtful feedback, but I wouldn't be doing my duty as a netter if I didn't post this:

Last night at almost midnight, my neighbor in his '05 Maxima (auto)pulled up beside me at a light on a very long stretch leading to our block. He shouted over, "you still think you can beat me you lucky bastard!?" (I'd beaten him in quick runs from light to light in the past and he called it luck). I shouted back, "it depends - have you learned how to drive yet?"

The light turned and we launched. We both broke tire and I jumped out a whole car ahead in 1st gear, hit 2nd and held it, hit 3rd and he's still in the same spot, hit 4th and he STILL in the same spot - at my rear bumper :suspiciou . At around 100mph, he had shut down, never making up that one car. When we got to our lot (we live in condos), he said, "I had no idea your car was that damn fast...my foot was underneath the floormat pressing on that pedal". I laughed it off.

The moral of this occurrence? It's not that the IS is crazy fast, it's that those new Max's just aren't either, lol.
I'm telling you, Izzy...you have a factory freak!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Miktrebla09 said:
I'm telling you, Izzy...you have a factory freak!
Maybe :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
those maxima's stock autos hit 14.7-.9. the tranny's aren't that good. what model does he have SE or SL? i believe they have 5spd auto or 4spd auto. if he got the VB mod stage 2 he'd pull on you with his autotragic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pay-me-now said:
those maxima's stock autos hit 14.7-.9. the tranny's aren't that good. what model does he have SE or SL? i believe they have 5spd auto or 4spd auto. if he got the VB mod stage 2 he'd pull on you with his autotragic.
It's an SE, 5sp auto, stock. Even with a perfect launch, I couldn't see his doing any better than 14.9. Riding in it a couple of times is what gave me the confidence to line up with him. It def. has stronger top end than the IS, but in quick sprints, it's not too impressive. It's def. the auto tranny that holds it back...just way too soft.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,297 Posts
handsofstone said:
im gonna say it. he drives for shit. if he broke traction the race was over. i spin all the way through first into second. auto magic by the way. the 50hp is a big one. if you said you beat a 00 like that maybe. but 05. nope. he's must be in the sl. he didnt have the lsd so i know he was not fighting you but the damn steering wheel. llol. good kill
wrong

the new maximas are slow. if we were talking about the 5.5 gen maximas(01-03), we would get smoked auto or manual. they are just that fast. the new ones fail on performance but gain on somewaht of luxury.

all in all, how could a auto driver be a bad driver?...i mean all you do is step on the pedal, right?

good kill mang.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
i wouldn't say they're SLOW... but i wouldn't argue that they are heavy. you're a manual right? only even race would be another manual don't ya think? what's the point of comparing two different cars one being manual and the other being auto. if they were the same car... perhaps that would be more interesting...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,033 Posts
petaa7 said:
wrong

the new maximas are slow. if we were talking about the 5.5 gen maximas(01-03), we would get smoked auto or manual. they are just that fast. the new ones fail on performance but gain on somewaht of luxury.

all in all, how could a auto driver be a bad driver?...i mean all you do is step on the pedal, right?

good kill mang.
the sixth gen max does the 1/4 in the 14's. if he had the 6 speed manual with the lsd. i would say the max wins everytime and in comfort too. without the lsd. the vq35 pulls hard, so you cant just stomp on the pedal. there is some skill involved there. little, but some. and the max is way out of that segment now. you have the 4 door g35 to smack around the IS now. nissan is setting up the return of the I35/maxima combo again.

and the 5.5 gen is from 02 to 03.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
those VQ35 motors N/A are hitting low 13's in the 4th gen (95-99) motor swap. that motor has incredible N/A potential. similar to the BMW 3.2 or 3.3 E46 M3 N/A... wow great scoot to those motors.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,297 Posts
handsofstone said:
the sixth gen max does the 1/4 in the 14's. if he had the 6 speed manual with the lsd. i would say the max wins everytime and in comfort too. without the lsd. the vq35 pulls hard, so you cant just stomp on the pedal. there is some skill involved there. little, but some. and the max is way out of that segment now. you have the 4 door g35 to smack around the IS now. nissan is setting up the return of the I35/maxima combo again.

and the 5.5 gen is from 02 to 03.
yea i messed up on the gen years. my bad. i know all abouit the vq engine yes, and i know they do those times IF they had the 6 spd manual. the guy and i am talking about the auto maximas. my friend has a 2000 max with a vq35 swap. and the maxima with auto does the 1/4 in high 14's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,297 Posts
pay-me-now said:
those VQ35 motors N/A are hitting low 13's in the 4th gen (95-99) motor swap. that motor has incredible N/A potential. similar to the BMW 3.2 or 3.3 E46 M3 N/A... wow great scoot to those motors.
i know all about the vq motor. my friend is hitting high 13's with his swap. they have awesome potential but not for boosting as the engine is an aluminum block and can't handle heavy hp like the 2jz can. but in terms of performance wise, the vq beats the 2jz in every performance category.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,033 Posts
why did he do a swap? maxima's are not expensive cars. he could have just bought a 02 with the 6speed and the hlsd.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,297 Posts
why buy an 02 when you could just buy the engine??!!!:confused:

both cars are pretty much the exact same. why waste money trading in his car and paying more when he could buy a new engine and sell his old one.
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top