Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK.......I WENT TO THIS EVENT TONIGHT THE 14TH AND HERE'S MY REVIEW:

I drove there in my Lex with my girl and immediately saw the crowd of people enjoying what I'm guessing was Tai Food and different cocktails and drinks, specialty coffees, and cookies. The dealership also provided valet parking which was pretty cool.......however, I gave the guy $10 and told him to park it in the front instead of the back.

Anyway.... finally the time came around for the unvelling........as I expected there was NO IS350.....there was just a base model IS250 and 2 AWD IS250.....one of them, the one in the center of the showroom was that Matador Red color, and they threw some upgraded rims on there (spoked ones) which made the car look better then the stock one, with the stock wheels.

So back to the actual Lex IS250........all in all......it was what I expected, after the hype died down and people started to leave, I got a chance to sit in it, and check out out throughly! The car seems to be built well.....it seems strong and safe, and the interior is much improved from the 1st Generation. I would have to say that I felt kinda "crammed" in it though.......eventhough I am 6 1" I think the IS300 is roomier up front for a guy like me. They did a nice job with the rear seats though.....I think it's slightly roomier then the rear of the IS300, and the leather in it seemed to be top notch.

What I was disappointed with was the back of the car!!! A lot of the car enthusiasts there with me were all saying the same thing.....which is basically that this NEW IS, lacks the character that the previous generation had.

The NEW IS250 and IS350 does not stand out among the rest, like the previous generation did, it's not as Sporty, or Edgy as the IS300 and to me, Not as appealing to the Eye.

People there were saying that the rear end is very "Accordish", or better yet more like a "Honda" or "Scion" then a Lexus !!!

The most attractive thing about the car to me was its WIDTH..the car looks MEAN...and AGGRESSIVE, with great fenders!!!.....It appears bulkier with higher doors and chunky mirrors!!! The mirrors are HUGE in real life.....they are a real eye sore and I think Lexus could have done a much better job on them.

I ended up talking to the Sales Manager who is a friend of the family and he basically told me that the MSRP price for a base IS250 is $36,000.......while the IS350 will start at between $49,500 to $51,000. I though the pricing wasn't too bad, except you don't really get a proper idea of what the are will actually cost you until you had the package, taxes, freight, PDI and all the other crap.

In conclusion all I could say is that if I was in the market for a new car again, I probably would not buy the new IS250 or IS350, just because it doesn't appeal to me as much as the previous generation did. I think Lexus did a great job on this new car.....eventhough it lost a lot of the character from the IS300. I think this new IS will do well in a different age demographic, however I don't think it will be able to compete with the new BMW 3 series in terms of sales because it just doesn't have that "appeal" or "gotta have it" factor.

The dealership threw a nice party tonight, and the turnout was much much better in comparison to the new GS Unvelling I went to 6 months ago. I'm sure they were very pleased!

If anyone was there on this night........please give me your opinion of the car and what you thought.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Every Lexus dealer in Canada had the same "invite only" affair last night with the valet and "sport style tickets".
The real reveil/premier was over 2 weeks ago in Toronto with pre productino cars.
I prefer teh pre production ones as it had some crazy brakes.

The cocktails where the only thing good.
The price is laughable ,the idiot who came up with such high pricing for the car that bridges the gap for Lexus to the younger crowd totally forgot what they where selling.
I wouldn't buy one for that price ,I love how the states has the same cars for less.
Screw Toyota/Lexus Canada buy them over there and import them for thousands less.

Oh well the taillights and rear bumper having a reflector throw onto it look awful.

Give me a GS or a new 3 both are much better than this is by far.

·
Registered
832 Posts
shootza, i must say that was a good review. You are absolutly rite about how the new Is doesn't stand out in the crowd at all.

Last night i was at Jm Lexus picking up the tag for my dads 06/Ls430 while i was there, they had a white Is350 with ML/Nav sitting in front of the show room with the Msrp 39k, which i think is not bad at all consider the msrp on my G35 coupe was $41k anyways while i was checking out the ride this couple in there mid 30's walked in, after few minutes the guy was like " i think i rather get the new Gs300 then this"

One thing for sure looks wise the new Is250/350 doesn't look attractive at all. The first generation IS300 was very unique.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Great review Bro...and i must agree with most, for the money, thanks but NO thanks! I know my next ride will not be IS...

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
I was talking with a sales guy I know at Erin Park Lexus and they said the turn out on Friday night was pretty good and most seemd to like and be interested in the car. Most in the crowd were mid-thirties and up, hardly any younger people around. He said initial sales and orders for the new IS seems to be good but long term sales is still anyones guess.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm glad most of you agree!

I think I just had high expectations.......I waited 5 years for this 2nd generation........thinking it would be much improved....which it is in certain aspects but not in the areas I was looking for.

I also just recently found out that neither the IS250 or IS350 comes with a full size spare! I found this to be hillarious, considering the IS300 did....

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Did anyone else look at the spare?
It is a banana yellow doughnut . One hell of a way to make you never want to drive with that thing on.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now I just found out it doesn't come with HID's !

And that the interior is more "snug" then the IS300.......and the last review I read in http://www.autozine.org/html/Toyota/IS.html article says that:

"It set out a target to beat BMW, but it turned out to be even less driver satisfying than the first generation IS."

I dunno about you guys.....but it seems like a lot of people have more complaints then anything else..........besides the power of course which is amazing I'll admit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I test drove one last week at Don Valley North Lexus.(IS250 AWD) It's equipped with Navi. The acceleration in the IS300 was better and interior is about the same. I really don't like the instrument cluster. I am not going to go in details with my review but it's missing something. I don't think I will be getting the new IS because of the lack of character with the car.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Someone should send a link to this review thread to Lexus so they can see what real people think about this car...LOL

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ALexusIS300 said:
Someone should send a link to this review thread to Lexus so they can see what real people think about this car...LOL
Lexus is aiming this car to a totally different clientele then us! They produced a car that appeals to a bigger age demographic, in order to boost sales...they could care less what the rest of us want.

I'm sorry but the IS300 is much more of a "drivers" car then this second generation is. I don't wanna sound like a hater...if i really wanted to, I could easily trade my car in for it...but it's really not an attractive package that they're offering, except for the IS350's power!

I consider myself a car enthusiast...I love Lexus for what they did with the IS300...but this new IS series wont do as well as the plan....even with 306 HP.......the real car guys will go for the 330i or other competitors because they have what the IS lacks...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts