Lexus IS Forum banner

Is this still true with current models?

802 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  drdingo21 
#1 ·
Im going to be getting an IS300. So everyday i troll this forum and dream of the day that i finally get mine. I was reading through some reviews today and cam across this.

The IS 300 also seems to have been out taking a whiz when God was passing out luxury feature content. There's no auto-dimming rearview mirror or memory seating. The automatic climate control isn't truly automatic, as you have to activate the air conditioning manually. Only the driver's window is one-touch up/down, and it is the only window switch that illuminates at night. There is no center armrest. The flimsy front cupholders refuse to accept anything larger than 12-ounce aluminum cans. The steering wheel tilts manually and doesn't telescope. Interior storage is skimpy. The rear seat is adequate for short, in-town trips, but entry and exit is difficult, and the bigger your feet are, the harder it will be due to the tight foot well and limited legroom. The IS 300 has about 3 inches less rear legroom than Audi's A4, a car that we have maligned in the past for minimal rear legroom.
This was off the 01 model.

Im looking at a 2002/03 and maybe an 01 if its in great shape with low miles. My question is how much of that stuff was changed? Like the cupholder thing, and the window switchs, i knew about the armrest thing but what about the rest?

Thanks.

#4 ·
-i have autodiming mirror
-2004 has memory seats
-auto climate IS auotmatic
-the auto up/down is true, only drivers, but they ALL illuminate
-there is an armrest
-cup holders have been improved, however are still nothing spectacular
-steering wheel bit is true
-rear seat is small, however entry/exit are nothing out of the ordinary

#6 ·
The Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror w/Compass comes standard on 2002 & newer models.

I disagree about the "lack of storage space" remark. There's a storage pocket on each door, one on the back of each front seat, a decent-sized glove box, the "cubbyhole" under the front center armrest (again, 2002 & newer), which is perfect for a cellphone, and you can "enclose' the center dashtop "lint magnet" by retrofitting either the older JDM cover or the newer one which comes on the 2004 models.

#7 ·
Thanks guys, thats what i was looking for. Ill go ahead and stay with the 2002 and up models then.
From me being on 2 or 3 i think they have plenty of storage space. And i could care less about the steering wheel thing, and i don't need memory seats, as i let no-one drive any of my cars (except the woman, buts its rare!)

#8 ·
I too would stick to 2002+. There were a number of things addressed in and out of your quoted list.

Dunno if anyone directly answered about the automatic climate control, but 2002 changed it so the climate system decides if the A/c compressor needs to be used or not for full automatic-ness.

2003+ cupholder is the best option we have.

Rear seat legroom: I am 6'4" with a 36" inseam. Front seat has a lot of travel so it is not a problem for me. On the rare occasion I have more than 3 occupents, I move the seat up about an inch or two and can still drive comfortably. Ingress/egress to the rear is not the greatest, but once settled in there is quite abit of room (read and leg) because the back of the front seats are arched out a little. And if the driver is shorter than I, like when my 5'5" wife drives, I have no problems sitting in the back.

BTW, I have a 2002 GGP stick for sale. LMK if interested.

#9 ·
Aaron said:
I too would stick to 2002+. There were a number of things addressed in and out of your quoted list.

Dunno if anyone directly answered about the automatic climate control, but 2002 changed it so the climate system decides if the A/c compressor needs to be used or not for full automatic-ness.

2003+ cupholder is the best option we have.

Rear seat legroom: I am 6'4" with a 36" inseam. Front seat has a lot of travel so it is not a problem for me. On the rare occasion I have more than 3 occupents, I move the seat up about an inch or two and can still drive comfortably. Ingress/egress to the rear is not the greatest, but once settled in there is quite abit of room (read and leg) because the back of the front seats are arched out a little. And if the driver is shorter than I, like when my 5'5" wife drives, I have no problems sitting in the back.

BTW, I have a 2002 GGP stick for sale. LMK if interested.
Ahhh thanks for clearing up the leg room, im about an inch shorter than you and hardly ever have more than 2 people with me so i wasn't too worried about the rear leg room. And as for the a/c i hardly ever use it as i just drive with my windows down so i don't mind.

Im debating between a stick or the e-shift. I love my current car (boosted stick) but i also like the idea of the e-shift, so i guess which ever one is in great shape and i get a good deal on.

#10 ·
If you drive stick, stick with it! :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.