Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to a local paint shop, and asked how much it would be to have my car painted in Honda grandprix white with a satin finish. also with some bits and pieces done in BO with a gloss finish. he quoted me 1350, and said that included sand down, poly primer, and removing the 1 or 2 small dents I have.

I know some of you guys are body men/painters, what do you think? btw this is in mobile alabama, if area matters.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Im assuming from that cost that your car is white already? That and you car does not need any major body repair.

The It would be a single base spray as the Flating agent is mixed with the paint. So that would cut the costs down.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Its about 2-300 too cheep. Paints not that expensive its the labor. So if hes taking a cut into pocket for labor.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no body work other than two nickle sized dings. car is dwp, asking him to sand, primer, and spray, he's talking about an ultra low gloss clear on the satin part. i'm not a painter obviously.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Well it sounds about right. As your keeping the same color and depending on area. Either way the cost covers the paint and the extra goes to his pocket. So sounds normal. As i can get a full respray same color for 1500 in a busy area.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool. just making sure the guy knows at least what to charge, maybe he can paint too? lol.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mean you gotta look at it in the way you get what you pay for....
thats why i'm doubting, but gary sort of ok'd it, and at least its matte finish instead of gloss, no orange peel to worry about. as long as the paint is there, and its not on my rubber or moldings, i think it'll work.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'm with you, imagine how i feel, its MY money! i need paint though, you of all people know that, and it'll probably get repainted when i get the kit. so if its in bad shape then, i can redo the whole shebang. i might buy my own paint and just have him spray it too.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Flat paint is not an expensive process. It is nothing hard to do. Plus keeping it the same shade. Is he getting the Door Jams? Cause the price he gave you is what well minus 2-300 dollars lower. is the price of a basic respray of the same color.

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
Sounds like it's going to be an overprice Maaco job for me. Meaning no jams, no removals, quick masking, sand down and paint.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
But you have to think about locations and overhead cost. Cause we charge 2800-3200 for a full color change depending on what time of year it is and what car it is.

So for everyone its not the same. Yet for me i have a body shop within 30ft from me right now. And we have 15 cars waiting in line.

Paints not expensive. I can get all my materials for 6-800 depending on whats needed. I have many items in house so i just need paint.

Labor is everything on top of that. A place that has many workers will have to split up that costs for TAX, labor, materials, Paid workers.

If it is a shop with less people who can do the same work less money is needed and it helps put the name out.

When we first started i was giving paint jobs away almost just to put the name out.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.