1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you think this rattle is detonation?
Clip1
Clip2

I'm thinking I got some bad gas, i'm at 1/3 tank. Should I drive it down or get some 100 octane and put it in..
I always go 91 @ COSTCO?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
01lexusON19s said:
dude, that almost sounds like a valve knocking...not detonation...
I would second that

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
costco gas is bullshit gas and you should NOT use it. You are in california, your best bet is to only use Mobil gas. It has the least additives and usually isnt screwed up.

·
Premium Member
26,324 Posts
forget the gas at this point...does the sound go away at higher rpms or is it always there? try reving it slowly while in park up to about 3k or so and see if it goes away. if it goes away it is detonation, if it doesn't you have problems.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
o1lexusON19s:
it goes away..
so if it goes away at high rpms its detonation? shouldn't it get worse in higher rpms?
Malek:
Mobil huh? I'll try that....

so far, suggestions are valve knocking... I'll park it until I can get the shop to check it out..

·
Registered
236 Posts
definitely not detonation. Detonation sounds like someone is dropping marbles on your valve cover - not like someone put a helicoptor under your hood.........

Sounds more like a spun bearing to me. Try to stick your head in the wheelwell and see if it's louder near the bottom end. If so, time to rebuild.

·
Premium Member
26,324 Posts
rllinghardis300 said:
o1lexusON19s:
it goes away..
so if it goes away at high rpms its detonation? shouldn't it get worse in higher rpms?
Malek:
Mobil huh? I'll try that....

so far, suggestions are valve knocking... I'll park it until I can get the shop to check it out..
you're right, i had it backwards.

·
Premium Member
26,324 Posts
i also noticed you're supercharged...it probably is detonation, make sure you're a/f mixture is right.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i dont know what that sound is, but it sounds like shit!

where do you think the sound is coming from? head, block, S/C?

-Brett

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sounds like its coming from the block but it doesn't get any louder with accelleration..
i'm going to park it untiil i can get it up to the shop.

·
Registered
287 Posts
That is metal on metal contact. Sounds like a spun rod bearing, rod knock, sticking valves, or other head damage? Is the motor starved for oil? Have you checked compression on any cylinders yet?

-Dan

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
It sounds like supercharger whine.

Why do you guys say detonation, valve knocking and shit? I didn't hear any of that.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Super:
I'm going to disconnect the blower today and start the car. See if that goes away.
If the noise goes away, it probably is the blower. If so then I'm going to have a talk with Vortech as it was just sent in for a rebuild. :( after my fire incident.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts