Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to post this now, especially after 97Mpower's lame-azz post. It's kinda off-topic, but it may affect some people's decision on what car to get.

Anyway, I live in Tenn. I saw a used car ad for a 98 BMW M3, leather interior, fully loaded, 5spd, 40k miles, one owner, 4dr for $25,000.

Sounds like a good deal, but I'm not sure. Could have been rebuilt? What you guys think?

[This message has been edited by vvtipwr (edited January 24, 2001).]

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Sounds like a good and is a good deal are two very different things. Question it's history and check it's title.

Look for any body damage from accidents. If you can't tell bring somone who can!

Kick the tires for god sakes!

Cheers.

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Sounds like a great deal @ that price if it's a "clean" car. Might want to check carfax.com, could be worth it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
A used M sounds like a risky proposition. Others would know more, but I don't think it is one of BMW's more reliable models due to the performance nature of the car. I would be real careful.

Remember what Confucious says: If it's too good to be true, well, you know the rest...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just make sure you check title and get the car looked at by a tech. Leakdown test, etc.

As for used //M's, mine has 127k miles and is fine. I would worry little about a 40k mile car.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Check the inner door sills for all the proper tags. All clean BMWS have the VIN tagged onto the body "parts" (i.e. trunk VIN label by tool kit) Open trunk and look for labels in the behind the taillight upper wheel well area (kind of akward place) Also, under hood these tags ahould appear on the left and right panels matching the VIN. If there is an yellow tag with in R, then it is BMW orginal replacement part. If missing then it is a red flag...my $.02

·
Registered
58 Posts
If the car was located in CA it would set off alarms in my head but since it's in the east coast I wouldn't worry too much. However, I would run it through carfax and make sure the title is good as well as taking to an independent mechanic that deals with BMWs exclusively.

Rick Kim

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i agree with the others. iw ould check the records and history of the car. another good place to look is the headlight. normally it will say DOT on it but if it has DOT-R it means its been replaced. it sounds on the cheap side. i odn't know if i would trust this deal

·
Registered
78 Posts
1)Chack for nuts and screws on the body if its been into accident the screw is unpaint because The body panel is assemble first before it get painted so the screw and joints should have the same colour.
2)look under the plastic shield like wheel well and under carriage..to see is it got paint on it ..if yes ..the car had been repaint and been into accident
3) Chack at the gap on the hood to see is it perfectly fits ..there is a same amount of space at the gap either left side of the hood or the right side of the hood. bent down and see things the bumper had been align or not..

------------------
¥X¤J¥­¦w¡A ¤ß·Q¨Æ¦¨

·
8,107 Posts
'97 M3's w/ 40k miles usually go for $30,000+, so it's suspiciously low, however, if you check carfax, and also give the VIN to a BMW dealer, if it was ever serviced by them they'll have some info. I'm not sure if '97s had free scheduled maintenance, if not, it might never have seen a BMW mechanic.
It has 10k miles BMW warranty remaining, so it's relatively safe, and M3s are very reliable. If it's got a clean title and no issues, go for it. Is it an auto? Those are a lot cheaper, have poor resale.

[This message has been edited by ckolsen (edited January 24, 2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
10 Participants
ckolsen
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing