Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Flagstaff! Drivin, 4 wheelin, huntin, fishin, hiking, cold, snow, mountains, trees, big lake, guns, nice people, Cracker Barrel........Cracker Barrel,......did I say Cracker Barrel yet?
Flagstaff is nice, but it's a little too remote for me

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Just so you people know. CARB approved. Means the paperwork on how it is made and performs. Has been approved and is given a number. It does not always mean it does any more. Back in the old days. I was part of a team doing stuff like that to get things approved. It is mainly political tax stamping.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sooo, TRD didnt make us an SC, and in 2005, you could get a 6-speed trans in some of the IS300s in Japan!

·
Registered
78 Posts
was reading about thermal insulation gaskets which improve heat isolation management,
maybe that would be added to NA power sticky!

·
Registered
78 Posts
sorry it's already discussed here

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
sorry it's already discussed here
I have made those on a few race engines. There is no real gain in street applications. The gain is super small. We usually do it to insulate fuel from vaporizing in the lines. It would not hurt. But not great to see any gain.
You will want to do it between the head and the intake. The intake you will want to do between each section for best results. Also at the throttle body. I would also bypass the coolant that is passed through it.
Heat shield on the manifold will also help. Or put ceramic coating on the exhaust.

Hell if you want to really spend money. Take apart and build the engine. Extruded intake and head, Bigger valves, internal coating, Lighter mass components. You trow money at it till you have no more money. It is a matter if you want to spend the money.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Actually I bought the Thermalnator
for my 2jzge vvti NA build using rb26 ITBs, there's an ITB built supra on supra forums (member is LRG soup)
where the runners over heat causing the ITBs mating plate to twist which lead to air leak, it was rectified by thermal gasket. on other platforms it might get some gains, but for a 40$ reusable gasket that's beer money well spent!

·
Registered
78 Posts
one more thing to "enhance" the engine power delivery, solidify the whole drive-train
I've done the solid mounts, PU bushes all around, it feels more planted, noisy, but gear changes are solid and there's no wasted torque, engine/differential twist during gear change is a wasted energy so better to recover that!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
for my 2jzge vvti NA build using rb26 ITBs, there's an ITB built supra on supra forums (member is LRG soup)
where the runners over heat causing the ITBs mating plate to twist which lead to air leak, it was rectified by thermal gasket. on other platforms it might get some gains, but for a 40$ reusable gasket that's beer money well spent!
Specially when you dont drink beer - lol

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Look at the RPM's that ended turning. Like I said street. It is not worth it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Kinda surprised no one has mentioned lightweight wheels and an aluminum driveshaft.

I have them in combination with all lightweight accessory pulleys and it makes a world of a difference.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Has anyone seen what the air-fuel ratios or the timing is set to in the stock ECU? I'd imagine a significant bump in power can be had with just a good tune..
If you're on Facebook, check out the Lexus IS300 Owners group. Chan Lee posted a base tune on a bone stock manual swapped 01'. It made 214whp/227wtq (around 240hp/250tq flywheel) with basic timing and fueling done. They could have got more with cams and extra time.

was reading about thermal insulation gaskets which improve heat isolation management,

maybe that would be added to NA power sticky!
The 2JZGE pretty much does have one between the throttle body and the intake manifold, made out of rubber. I'm not sure if it does much but dampen some movement of the air intake tube.

Kinda surprised no one has mentioned lightweight wheels and an aluminum driveshaft.

I have them in combination with all lightweight accessory pulleys and it makes a world of a difference.

I have a one piece steel driveshaft that made a difference in repsonse. It also was made with rebuildable u-joints.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you're on Facebook, check out the Lexus IS300 Owners group. Chan Lee posted a base tune on a bone stock manual swapped 01'. It made 214whp/227wtq (around 240hp/250tq flywheel) with basic timing and fueling done. They could have got more with cams and extra time
Have the link? Makes me wonder what cams, full exhaust, TB and bumping the compression up half a point would do..maybe 250+whp?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Have the link? Makes me wonder what cams, full exhaust, TB and bumping the compression up half a point would do..maybe 250+whp?
I have no link, I just use the app on my phone. Do a search in the "Lexus IS300 Owners" group and you should be able to find it. I have no doubt we could get 250whp with just cams and I/H/E and a standalone. The gas mileage is so terrible on these cars from running so rich, that if we leaned out the mixture with 91 octane still in the tank that we should get huge gains (as you tell by the numbers I posted).

·
Registered
41 Posts
In my opinion yall are splittin' hairs here... We all know the GE is a weak motor. You can dump thousands into it and barely break 200whp. Just do some bolt ons, maybe adjustable cam gear and focus on chassis mods from there.

If you're on Facebook, check out the Lexus IS300 Owners group. Chan Lee posted a base tune on a bone stock manual swapped 01'. It made 214whp/227wtq (around 240hp/250tq flywheel) with basic timing and fueling done. They could have got more with cams and extra time.

The 2JZGE pretty much does have one between the throttle body and the intake manifold, made out of rubber. I'm not sure if it does much but dampen some movement of the air intake tube.

I have a one piece steel driveshaft that made a difference in repsonse. It also was made with rebuildable u-joints.
I saw this and was interested, but it seems they will not share any information on dyno correction factors or what type of dyno it was. Anyone can make a stock 97 civic read 500whp if they really want to skew some numbers.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
In my opinion yall are splittin' hairs here... We all know the GE is a weak motor. You can dump thousands into it and barely break 200whp. Just do some bolt ons, maybe adjustable cam gear and focus on chassis mods from there.
Yurp! I cant justify the Magnaflow exhaust manifold system, as there are no numbers and its 1K!
So I think, Im gonna do a 2 1/2" mid-pipe with a new resonator, Bilstiens, a front strut tower brace, and maybe a runk brace. Cant do rear tower brace, as I have to have the trunk space. Dont want to invest in wheels, so brakes are something I need to look into.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yurp! I cant justify the Magnaflow exhaust manifold system, as there are no numbers and its 1K!
So I think, Im gonna do a 2 1/2" mid-pipe with a new resonator, Bilstiens, a front strut tower brace, and maybe a runk brace. Cant do rear tower brace, as I have to have the trunk space. Dont want to invest in wheels, so brakes are something I need to look into.
I'd highly recommend some poly bushings - mine made a huge difference. Some nice coilovers as well and it'd handle great.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
9 Participants
wingnut
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing