Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, been on this site off and on for ages. Read all the stuff, and really wondering, is there anything left? FI, cams, or stroking are off the table.

Heres what I got (original owner too - only 122,000mi):

05 BO IS300 manual 5-spd - Yes, I am one of the few, the proud, an owner of one of the rare USDM TRD lips!
Factory LSD from auto with 3.93 gears
Turbo Supra flywheel and clutch
K&N FIPK intake
HKS Drager axle-back exhaust
Titan adj. cam gear @ -3.5deg
Throttle mod
CDD delete

I cant do headers or Y-pipe cause I live in the PRK (Peoples Republik of Kalifornia).

So unless Im forgetting something, a B-pipe (w/w/o resonator) is all thats left.
Not even sure thats really worth it. What are we talking 1-2hp max?

So, whatcha all think? Do the pipe, or call it a day, and do a little more suspension work?

Running on 225/45r17 BFG G-Force rubber, with Hotchkis sways (hard in front, soft in rear).

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
So, been on this site off and on for ages. Read all the stuff, and really wondering, is there anything left? FI, cams, or stroking are off the table.

Heres what I got (original owner too - only 122,000mi):

05 BO IS300 manual 5-spd - Yes, I am one of the few, the proud, an owner of one of the rare USDM TRD lips!
Factory LSD from auto with 3.93 gears
Turbo Supra flywheel and clutch
K&N FIPK intake
HKS Drager axle-back exhaust
Titan adj. cam gear @ -3.5deg
Throttle mod
CDD delete

I cant do headers or Y-pipe cause I live in the PRK (Peoples Republik of Kalifornia).

So unless Im forgetting something, a B-pipe (w/w/o resonator) is all thats left.
Not even sure thats really worth it. What are we talking 1-2hp max?

So, whatcha all think? Do the pipe, or call it a day, and do a little more suspension work?

Running on 225/45r17 BFG G-Force rubber, with Hotchkis sways (hard in front, soft in rear).
Aluminum Flywheel, More gear in rear-end. Also you can get away with the 80mm throttle body off the LS. They will not know and it is OEM part. Piggyback ECU with a good tune. Change to individual spark-plug coils.

Also there is also stuff you can do to lighten up the car as well.

As for your "hard front, soft rear" That depends on what you are needing. Short circuit type track or drag, etc.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Aluminum Flywheel, More gear in rear-end.

I like the T Supra fly wheel because theres no rev matching, and Ive always heard higher gears get more noisy, and doesnt mileage decrease?

Also you can get away with the 80mm throttle body off the LS. They will not know and it is OEM part. Piggyback ECU with a good tune. Change to individual spark-plug coils.

Is the TB always weld on? Also, will the piggy back be detected in any form (not familiar too much with them). CA fails on visual and CEL. They wont even test after that.

If I could shave 200lbs that would be great. Carbon fiber trunk fiber hood and trunk would be a start, but Im trying to look stock as much as possible and Ive have issues with CF before.

As for your "hard front, soft rear" That depends on what you are needing. Short circuit type track or drag, etc.

As far as suspension, a more like track setup. Ive tried all sway settings, and I like this best, at this point.........

So going axleback to catback is a dead issue?

Yup Im a picky guy. I do appreciate your ideas. Some are unique.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Aluminum Flywheel, More gear in rear-end.

I like the T Supra fly wheel because theres no rev matching, and Ive always heard higher gears get more noisy, and doesnt mileage decrease?

Also you can get away with the 80mm throttle body off the LS. They will not know and it is OEM part. Piggyback ECU with a good tune. Change to individual spark-plug coils.

Is the TB always weld on? Also, will the piggy back be detected in any form (not familiar too much with them). CA fails on visual and CEL. They wont even test after that.

If I could shave 200lbs that would be great. Carbon fiber trunk fiber hood and trunk would be a start, but Im trying to look stock as much as possible and Ive have issues with CF before.

As far as suspension, a more like track setup. Ive tried all sway settings, and I like this best, at this point.........

So going axleback to catback is a dead issue?

Yup Im a picky guy. I do appreciate your ideas. Some are unique.
Piggybacks do not interfere with signals that they scan. As for visual. It can be hidden easy.
Cat backs system in 2.5 inch will help.
I have run aluminum flywheels in several different cars. Never had any issues. The RPM's just drop off a bit quicker. When you let off to shift. It is no big deal to not let off the accelerator as much.
As far as gearing. Mileage would depend on driving style and what type of commute you are doing. Noise would be a bad install on a gear.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
High flow cats maybe. I dont think there are any CA CARB or EO headers out there.

The throttle mod is small spacer inserted at the gas pedal that takes up the squishy response (cancels out the spring).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yo Wingnut
I’m in AZ and just installed a new Flowmaster header w/catalytic converters that is Kalifornia legal. I am impressed with the quality and performance. I reused the factory Y pipe and had the pipe diameter increased to 2 1/2 (aft the Y pipe’s 2 1/4 diameter) all the way back to the Yonaka stainless muffler. A notable improvement over stock and the whole system cost less than $800 including labor.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here’s the header installed. You’ll be surprised how much power you can pick up with a good smog legal header like the flowmaster. It cost me about $300 at summit racing.
E62E2D23-D9AF-4636-81F8-CF79C5A5E35B.jpeg

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
If its this one - https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/catalytic_converter/49_state/direct-fit/parts/2054276

"These cannot be shipped to California addresses or be installed on vehicles in other states that have adopted all or parts of California emissions standards. Please check your state and local laws for specific converter replacement requirements."

MagnaFlow makes some for $1K
Magnaflow manifold is the way to go. Stainless and high flow. Carb approved. The down pipe will take some work on your part. I would make a 2.5 inch stainless pipe and put Magnaflow's #457106. It is high flow and Carb approved. Then do what ever cat-back system you want in 2.5 to 3 inch.

It will cost you. But it is legal for California.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would work. $$$$$, but would work. Have my guy do a down pipe w/cat, a 2.5" B-pipe with resonator, and bolt up to my HKS Drager exhaust.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Magnaflow manifold is the way to go. Stainless and high flow. Carb approved. The down pipe will take some work on your part. I would make a 2.5 inch stainless pipe and put Magnaflow's #457106. It is high flow and Carb approved. Then do what ever cat-back system you want in 2.5 to 3 inch.

It will cost you. But it is legal for California.
Sorry about my CARB compliance claim but at least magnaflow has an offering. Flowmasters cats must not scrub enough pollutants for CA. Solar yellow’s advice is good. My muffler shop built a 2 1/2 exhaust from the Y pipe back in a couple hours. I’m using the Yonaka cat back. Not too loud and very little drone at cruise if you’re using minimal throttle. It came fully polished and is 2 1/2 inches.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yeah and you have to watch the exhaust noise level. I mean there’s always been a noise level law. Noise violations used to be a “fix it ticket” where you could correct the issue and show proof to get the fine dismissed. Now, it’s an immediate fine. California is a great place to visit, but too many people for me, and too many nanny rules.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia (aka Kommifornia, aka Kalifornistan) sucks in every way, and every direction. And yes,........born and raised! Gotta get out, win the lottery, then drop in a 2JZGTE, Supra rear end, Getrag 6-speed, roll the fenders, new and bigger wheels and tires,...........! Woo-woo!😎

Anyway, stereos are for cancelling out exhaust drone! 😉

·
Registered
85 Posts
Has anyone seen what the air-fuel ratios or the timing is set to in the stock ECU? I'd imagine a significant bump in power can be had with just a good tune..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Move to AZ, wingnut. We need more people over here who recognize what leftism looks like and then vote against it. And if you like colder weather we’ve got that too. Too bad high elevation means less power however. kalifornia may be a lost cause especially with that new governor. OK now a back to making more horsepower.....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Silver, almost moved to Flagstaff a while back. Problem was it was for a higher level job, but the pay was less cause it lacked the govts SoCal correction (25% more pay above base pay). Really liked it, a lot, but housing cost killed it in the end. Was even making a deal with a class III dealer on a suppressed full-auto Mac-10, and full-auto suppressed short barrel AC-556. Yes this gov is a bigger idiot than most, plus idiot legislators, who have a super majority. State capitol may be Sacramento, but the states run out of the Bay area.

Oh, how I wish there had been a factory gen1 with a 2jzgte:mad:😞😣😫😩😭🤯🤬

ps would love colder weather!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Move to AZ, wingnut. We need more people over here who recognize what leftism looks like and then vote against it. And if you like colder weather we’ve got that too. Too bad high elevation means less power however. kalifornia may be a lost cause especially with that new governor. OK now a back to making more horsepower.....
Any move from this nanny state means more horsepower regardless of elevation lol

I wouldn't mind AZ if I can live in an area that doesn't feel like the surface of Mercury

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any move from this nanny state means more horsepower regardless of elevation lol

I wouldn't mind AZ if I can live in an area that doesn't feel like the surface of Mercury
Flagstaff! Drivin, 4 wheelin, huntin, fishin, hiking, cold, snow, mountains, trees, big lake, guns, nice people, Cracker Barrel........Cracker Barrel,......did I say Cracker Barrel yet?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
9 Participants
wingnut
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing