Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I will check out tanning it. I know how to tool leather, but have never tanned. The two leather experts I knew are passed family members.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm highly interested in this as well. I'd consider a covering as long as it looked somewhat stock. I've like redline's products in the past, but I'm not sure that it will "look" the part. Eventually, if there's no clear solution (an no stock steering wheels in a lexus marked bag in a warehouse somewhere), then I will go with the redline product and wrap my wheel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Okay, I looked through the craftcustoms website and their stuff looks amazing. The steering wheels look freaking stock! I'll likely find a spare wheel to send out since my IS is daily.

I found this on the forum just googling for 2 seconds. Does anyone know where the pictures are? I'm not familiar with a steering wheel pulling tool although i'm sure there are plenty of youtube videos on how to do it.

https://www.my.is/threads/step-by-step-tutorial-for-steering-wheel-removal.343462/

Edit found a youtube video:

I wonder if I can send the center section that the airbag sits in to be wrapped as well (doubt)? Or does that plastic cover come off?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back in the day, I had a buddy that painted the backs of leather jackets - band stuff, etc. I wonder if it could be touched up. I know I can sew a new cover for a steering wheel. While Ive got the skills, makes me nervous still. Would take a bit and cant be without a steering wheel for a while. Looked at used. Could probably hit one for $100, but Im not sure its that important. Not a ton of manual trans steering wheels too.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Okay, I looked through the craftcustoms website and their stuff looks amazing. The steering wheels look freaking stock! I'll likely find a spare wheel to send out since my IS is daily.

I found this on the forum just googling for 2 seconds. Does anyone know where the pictures are? I'm not familiar with a steering wheel pulling tool although i'm sure there are plenty of youtube videos on how to do it.

https://www.my.is/threads/step-by-step-tutorial-for-steering-wheel-removal.343462/

Edit found a youtube video:

I wonder if I can send the center section that the airbag sits in to be wrapped as well (doubt)? Or does that plastic cover come off?
I usually unscrew the nut but not all the way and the wrangle it loose. It'll pop off and leaving the nut in place will prevent it nailing you in the face.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently redid my steering wheel with leather from my local fabric store. Took the old leather off, traced it onto the new one and cut it. Then sewed and stitched the new one on. Took 2 tries but its came out ok. The joint on the left isn't the prettiest but it makes for a good grip. The leather cost me about 20$. I had everything else.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recently redid my steering wheel with leather from my local fabric store. Took the old leather off, traced it onto the new one and cut it. Then sewed and stitched the new one on. Took 2 tries but its came out ok. The joint on the left isn't the prettiest but it makes for a good grip. The leather cost me about 20$. I had everything else.
View attachment 133222
Very nice

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could try black leather dye (for shoes perhaps), but since the actual leather material and texture looks intact in the picture, maybe even just some black/shine interior leather wipes would restore it. I use Meguiars, and it works really well to keep things dark black. I was actually surprised at how well it worked.
Hum, maybe give those a try first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
TobiasSing
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing