Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I pick up my car tommorrow at the dealership, 5M with everything but without Nav. system.

I calculated it and with the Navigation my monthly payments will only $23 to $35 more month which means = not going to eat out that one time, chill on those 2 to 3 beers and so on...

Need HELP, cause I will call the manager and request for one with the system.

·
11,062 Posts
Do you travel a lot? If not, I would skip it. It's a nice toy, but the price is high (don't think about it in monthly payment; it's the COST that counts). How often are you going to be looking for directions to the nearest gas station or convenience store in your own town?

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you really wanted the NAV, I would go with an aftermarket item.

However, Shiela is right, $2K is a lot of money... it's better to spend it on something that use. Possibly upgrade your TV or stereo system at home? Get a body kit for your car? Etc...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I liked the Nav and thought overall for the price it could be pretty handy. It also has a planner and some other stuff in it. I am getting it and getting the conversion so I can watch movies on the screen when I want too. Something to think about.

.../austin

p.s. in our area if you want full leather you have to get NAV

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I just got a fully loaded red 5spd w/NAV last week. It's a blast! I concede that aftermarket systems like Alpine (and even Pioneer's new voice recognition system) give you more bang for the buck, but the stock system is really nicely integrated.

It also has a maintenance database and calendar type planner. If the additional cost is no sweat - go for it.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
How often do you plan on getting lost or plan on going on long azz road trips across the nation? I think you can probably buy a regular map for a dollar. Keep the money and get some....thing else.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies.

Just called the dealership and they won't get any IS's with the color combo that I want for another 60 DAYS!! I don't know if I could wait that long.

I don't travel alot and I don't get lost very often, just because I work and live in my area ever since I was young.

It was just be nice to have when I do need it, I just don't want to regret it when it is too late.

But I guess I could start looking into a DVD player/TV for my car for that money, thanks peeps!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I remember when I was gettin my car, I just had to wait an extra 2 weeks for the color combo I wanted... but I couldn't even wait that long. I just settled for what was there and I'm not regretting it one bit!

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: Badman Forever ]

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd get it. I have it on my TL 99 (1st gen nav) and love it. Sure you don't get to use it every day but when you need it you'll appreciate it's there. You'll find short cuts and make you travel out more. I leased a 01 IS300 last month, if I waited for 2002 I'd have gotten the nav.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
It's not a touch screen. The screen is too far forward. The input/control buttons are in the center console just aft of the shifter. It's kind of like the eraser mouse pointer on a laptop - after using it for a week, I really like it!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Originally posted by supernoman:
aust182,

I'm interested in doing a DVD mod for my NAV too. Can you please pass on any info you have on this?

Thanks.

Contact Ron at Street Effects. His number is listed multiple times on this site. He has the parts and the expertise to do the conversion. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The search seems to really suck on this site. UBB searches shouldn't be that slow. My point is that I've been unable to find the info you mentioned by searching for ron or street effects.
Can you PM me the number?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
supernoman
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing